Camel - Mirage CD (album) cover

MIRAGE

Camel

friso
5 stars Camel - Mirage (1974)

Rather a Miracle!

This was one of my first vinyl records. At the time I had never realised it was considered a progressive masterpiece, my only point of reference was Iron Maiden. I came to like record because it has a lot of elements Iron Maiden didn't have as well as elements Iron Maiden did have. It had epics, hard rockin' parts and great musicianship. But this record also had these amazing compositions, these strange time signatures and inventive melodies. The speed of the record was also quite amazing for me at the time, for I didn't know about any progressive music from the seventies! Did they make such great music such a long time ago?

Nowadays I consider this to be a zenith of Camel's career. This is Camel most technical record and their fastest. The convincing Freefall with great rhythmic findings in the opening section and the drowsy vocals of Latimer and the solo's in the middle-section are all just great, except for the vocals, but they became part of the concept. Supertwister (an ode to the Dutch Supersister) is of course a song that couldn't be ruined, I'm a Dutchman myself. Mainly the flute on the strange time signature give a very interesting effect. Nimrodel and The Procession are both very warm progressive compositions with an 100% score. Such perfection! The Last part of the LOTR inspired epic The White Rider is a bit repetitive but has some nice psychedelic soloing of Latimer. On side two Earthrise is another magical achievement. While the opening section isn't that good in my opinion, from the point of the gentle melody of guitar and keys everything is blown into supremacy. I'm in love with this very melody! It's so lovely! The variation in the end is also a great detail. The up-tempo heavy middle section is very impressive and ends greatly with the gentle melody of the beginning. The Lady Fantasy epic is well known to most of us. It's many parts work very well and the ending section with the vocals of Latimer are sentimental.

Conclusion. Just get this, essential progressive listening for shure! This is truly a timeless document to proof the power of seventies prog. Five stars!

friso | 5/5 |