Pink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds CD (album) cover

Pink Floyd

Psychedelic/Space Rock

Prog Metal Team
2 stars This album sits really awkward amidst all the excellence that surrounds it. Floyd never reaches their normal standard here. Actually, only the first two instrumentals are accomplished pieces that equal the level of their previous soundtrack More.

A songs The Gold is only amazing for the fact that it actually appears on a Floyd album. It would have been less surprising if it had been on a ZZ Top album. Also a track like Stay would have fitted better on any random rock band's album from 1972. For Floyd it is quite awkward to say the least.

Burning Bridges sounds so dull in fact that I will consider it for treating my next occurrence of insomnia. The instrumental version of it, Mudmen, is a lot more attractive. Nice keyboards and slide guitar here. Childhood's End is the only real song on this album that I can more or less enjoy. Absolutely Curtains isn't bad but probably a leftover from More. The plaintive ending section of it is one of the most charming parts of the entire album, finally some real emotion I'd say.

A mishmash of half-baked ideas and sloppy song writing. 2.5 stars.

Bonnek | 2/5 |