Fish - Suits CD (album) cover

SUITS

Fish

progrules
2 stars In my previous review of Fish's Sunsets album I mentioned the period before that release and actually this one, Suits, represents that period best. After "Vigil" the next three albums couldn't match the fine debut in any sense. Lately I checked out this one for a decisive judgement and compared to Sunsets this one indeed sounds pretty flat.

The opening song Mr.1470 demonstrates this remarkably. Not especially bad but a bit flat and pale sounding, even the guitar solo isn't really sparkling. Next up is the highlight to me: Lady let it lie. A wonderful song with a very good vocal performance. On the other hand it doesn't reach the excellence level in my opinion. And then we have told just about half the story here. If a good/very good song is almost the very highlight of the album, that is not a very good sign right ?

Out of the next seven songs I just like Fortunes of War somewhat, it appears a nice ballad. The rest of the songs is at best mediocre and will have to be decisive for the standard of this album I'm afraid. Just a special mention for the final track Raw Meat which is in the end the absolute stand out song of this release. A very good song indeed, again very well sung. But unfortunately it can't save the overall standard for "Suits" so I will have to leave this one at two stars (2,4).

progrules | 2/5 |