SUITS

Good, but non-essential

Buy FISH Music
Studio Album, released in 1994

1. Mr. 1470 (6:06)
2. Lady Let It Lie (6:53)
3. Emperor's Song (6:18)
4. Fortunes of War (7:51)
5. Somebody Special (5:22)
6. No Dummy (6:16)
11. Black Canal (8:27)

Search FISH Suits lyrics

Search FISH Suits tabs

- Fish / vocals
- David Paton / guitar (bass), vocals (background)
- David Murray / bagpipes
- Lorna Bannon / vocals (background)
- Robin Boult / guitar
- James Cassidy / keyboards
- Foster Paterson / keyboards, vocals (background)
- Fraser Spiers / harmonica
- Frank Usher / guitar
- Kevin Wilkinson / percussion, drums

Renaissance Records #RMED00134

FISH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

• Cliche Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors, 1990
  • Tongues Internal Exile, 1991

Buy FISH Suits Music

A Feast of Consequences (2013)A Feast of Consequences (2013)
Little Fish Darling dear (maxi single) Promo CD Single US $4.97 Buy It Now 39m 59s
Fish Circus - Vol. 2 CD US $20.55 Buy It Now 40m 16s
Hard Swimmin' Fish - One Step Forward CD US $22.56 Buy It Now 40m 17s
Little Fish Am I crazy? Promo CD Single US $4.97 Buy It Now 40m 37s
River of Many Dead Fish by Ashtabula (CD, May-1997, Siltbreeze) US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
COUNTRY JOE & THE FISH - I FEEL LIKE I'M FIXIN'.. Orig Vanguard LP US PSYCH ROCK US $19.91 Buy It Now 1h 14m
REEL BIG FISH Sell Out Promo CD SINGLE 241 Unity 3 trks USED US $2.97 Buy It Now 1h 16m
Reel Big Fish - The Kids Don't Like It - Ultra Rare CD - Australian release US $1.86 [0 bids]
Dig Hay Zoose - Struggle Fish - 1991 CD Album in excellent condition US $17.77 Buy It Now 1h 29m
FISH 'BIG WEDGE' UK PICTURE DISC 12" SINGLE US $14.93 Buy It Now 1h 33m
CASSETTE: FISH Vigil in a wilderness ROCK PROG Marillion US $4.97 Buy It Now 1h 39m
JOHN LENNON - Shaved Fish (English Import) US $26.00 Buy It Now 1h 39m
RUMBLE FISH - OPEN THE SAFE - NEW CD US $18.36 Buy It Now 1h 46m
RUMBLE FISH - I Am Me (Mini Album) KOREA CD *NEW* US $11.90 Buy It Now 1h 51m
Fish - Songs from the Mirror (2012) CD ALBUM MARILLION US $3.07 [5 bids]
Steve Hillage - Fish Rising [CD New] US $10.90 Buy It Now 2h 6m
SHRIEKBACK - Fish Below The Ice - Ex Con 7" Single Arista SHRK 4 *DOUBLE PACK* US $9.95 Buy It Now 2h 12m
Less Than Jake/Reel Big Fish AUSTRALIAN 2007 Tour RARE POSTER US $9.34 [0 bids]
TERENCE TRENT D'ARBY 'NEITHER FISH NOR FLESH' UK LP PLUS LIMITED EDITION BOOKLET US $16.59 Buy It Now 2h 14m
JOHN LENNON Shaved Fish 1975 UK VINYL LP RECORD Beatles EXCELLENT CONDITION US $33.20 Buy It Now 2h 27m
School Of Fish 'S/T' Cassette Album (1991) USA Import US $0.42 [0 bids]
Country Joe and the Fish Life and Times Vanguard 1st 1971 1A, ULTRASONIC CLEANED US $36.00 Buy It Now 2h 44m
MIKE AULDRIDGE Self Titled LP Flying Fish Records FF 029 US $2.99 Buy It Now 2h 49m
The Harmony Sisters Harmony Pie Flying Fish Vinyl Record FF 248 Folk Mandolin US $6.99 Buy It Now 2h 49m
Happiness Is Not a Fish That You Can Catch by Our Lady Peace (CD) *FREE S US $6.98 Buy It Now 2h 55m
The Dillards Vs. The Incredible L.A. Time Machine - Great NM LP on Flying Fish US $7.00 Buy It Now 3h 5m
ROD DUNBAR - BREAKDOWN / SATURDAY NIGHT FISH FRY (VG-) - Aust.60s. LEEDON US $8.41 [0 bids]
An Emotional Fish ?- Lace Virginia,1990,12",ALTERNATIVE ROCK,EW RECORDS.EX US $13.27 Buy It Now 3h 10m
Jayo Felony Hotta Than Fish Grease/Swing Promo 12" 2000 Def Jam Rap Hip-hop US $0.01 [0 bids]
Reel Big Fish - Our Live Album Is Better Than (2006) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 3h 17m
GINGER FISH MARILYN MANSON 50mm x 50mm PROMO photo press slide negative #C/2177 US $33.22 Buy It Now 3h 17m
ORBITAL Reel Big Fish PUGS Fiona Apple FRENTE Iggy Pop US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 47m
DAVID AMRAM Autobiography NM- Flying Fish FC-27753 album vinyl US $25.46 Buy It Now 3h 47m
DOWNSIDERS 'ALL MY FRIENDS ARE FISH' US IMPORT LP US $16.59 Buy It Now 3h 52m
FISH CAKE SHAKE 'DO THE HEARTBEAT' UK LP US $13.27 Buy It Now 3h 54m
JOHN LENNON 'SHAVED FISH' UK LP US $13.27 Buy It Now 3h 55m
Reggae Cruising-Rude Fish Music (CD, Aug-2005, Jvc V... US $6.50 Buy It Now 4h
KAZUYOSHI SAITO WONDERFUL FISH Japan CD US $11.00 Buy It Now 4h
JOHN LENNON PLASTIC ONO BAND-SHAVED FISH LP + INNER SLEEVE US $13.27 Buy It Now 4h 5m
REO SPEEDWAGON - YOU CAN TUNE A PIANO BUT YOU CAN'T TUNE A FISH NEW CD US $25.44 Buy It Now 4h 24m
RUMBLE FISH - Open The Safe (3rd Album) KOREA CD *NEW* K-POP US $16.99 Buy It Now 4h 26m
CHUMBAWAMBA - I NEVER GAVE UP 12" Orig The Ex Citizen Fish Crass Conflict Amebix US $9.95 [0 bids]
CHUMBAWAMBA - ENOUGH 12" Orig The Ex Citizen Fish Crass Conflict Amebix Zounds US $9.95 [0 bids]
CHUMBAWAMBA - HOMOPHOBIA 12" The Ex Citizen Fish Crass Conflict Amebix Zounds US $9.95 [0 bids]
Underworld - Beaucoup Fish (1999) US $1.99 [0 bids]
Sealed LP Peter Alsop DRAW THE LINE 1980 Flying Fish US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 46m
Reel Big Fish - A Best Of Us For The Rest Of U (NEW CD) US $17.84 Buy It Now 4h 49m
COUNTRY JOE & THE FISH GREATEST HITS - LP 33 RPM Record US $4.99 [0 bids]
I Feel Like I'm Fixin' to Die Country Joe & The Fish CD US $24.99 Buy It Now 4h 57m
More Fish [PA] by Ghostface Killah (CD, Dec-2006, Def Jam (USA)) US $6.50 Buy It Now 4h 58m
Kristin Lems Born A Woman LP 1986 Flying Fish Stop Thief Trivial Pursuit US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 6m
Zapp Zapp. What does fish is...?. Great danish soul funk pop CD 1992.Erann DD. US $9.99 [0 bids]
Shays' Rebellion Daniel Shays Highway LP 1987 Flying Fish North By North US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 8m
Reel Big Fish - Monkeys For Nothin And The Chimps For Fre (NEW 2 x 12" VINYL LP) US $32.78 Buy It Now 5h 18m
Fish - State Of Mind 12'' Picture Disc US $30.00 Buy It Now 5h 23m
Human Cannonball by School of Fish (CD, Feb-1993, Capitol/EMI Records) US $1.99 Buy It Now 5h 36m
Tracy Nelson(Vinyl LP)Homemade Songs-Flying Fish-VG/Ex US $11.99 Buy It Now 5h 43m
"The Rosehip String Band" Flying Fish 1976 - Progressive Blugrass US $19.95 Buy It Now 5h 54m
Reel Big Fish - Candy Coated Fury (NEW 12" VINYL LP) US $29.88 Buy It Now 6h 18m
FRANK ZAPPA THING FISH CASSETTE RARE! BARKING PUMPKIN RECORDS US $6.00 [0 bids]
Terence Trent D'arby - Neither Fish Nor Flesh Dutch LP US $6.99 Buy It Now 6h 26m
Fish 7" Red Vinyl Single, A Gentleman's Excuse Me US $3.30 [0 bids]
LARRY CORYELL,BRIAN KEANE JUST LIKE BEING BORN FLYING FISH L15P 1214 PROMO OBI US $3.25 [2 bids]
R.E.O. Speedwagon - You Can Tune A Piano, But You Can't Tuna Fish - NM Condition US $15.99 [0 bids]
7h
Priscilla Herdman 1983 LP Promo Copy FLYING FISH RECORDS USA US $4.99 Buy It Now 7h 2m
BENNY MARTIN Lester Flatt Jogn Hartford LP Tennesse Jubilee LP Flying Fish USA US $4.99 Buy It Now 7h 2m
Three Fish The Quiet Table CD digipack with insert booklet HDCD US $10.99 Buy It Now 7h 4m
Hickory Wind - No Fish Today [CD New] US $20.91 Buy It Now 7h 10m
Reo Speedwagon - You Can Tune A Piano But You Cant Tuna Fish [CD New] US $17.18 Buy It Now 7h 10m
TELLULIVE-1979 BLUEGRASS/COUNTRY MUSIC FESTIVAL, FLYING FISH, FF224, NM/N US $16.50 Buy It Now 7h 13m
Fish - Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors CD (1990) Marillion Original US $3.65 [3 bids]
Southend Ft Nick Fish : THE WINNER IS..... 2000 Rmx CD Single RARE US $5.99 Buy It Now 7h 29m
AN EMOTIONAL FISH LACE VIRGINIA 12" UK US $6.99 Buy It Now 7h 30m
Spivy on 78 rpm Exclusive S103: I Love Town/A Tropical Fish US $14.99 Buy It Now 7h 31m
FISH Big Wedge 1989 UK 12" vinyl single EXCELLENT CONDITION Marillion US $13.27 Buy It Now 7h 35m
Fish Tribe Out Of Water Cassette Christian Alternative rock private indie Xian US $19.99 Buy It Now 7h 35m
COUNTRY JOE & FISH - CJ FISH - VMD 6555 US $13.27 Buy It Now 7h 36m
FISH A Gentleman's Excuse Me UK 12" vinyl single EXCELLENT CONDITION Marillion US $12.44 Buy It Now 7h 37m
FISH IN ZONE never let you go Eurodance CD ISRAEL ONLY ISRAELI PROMO US $140.00 Buy It Now 7h 39m
Girls With Guitars Live by Dani Wilde, Samantha Fish, Victoria Smith US $12.98 Buy It Now 7h 44m
JOHN LENNON / SHAVED FISH ~ 1983 CAPITOL RECORDS MNT/NM US $16.99 Buy It Now 7h 48m
People Under The Stairs-Cat - Live At The Fish CD Maxi, Single Very Good US $11.61 Buy It Now 7h 55m
Badly Drawn Boy - Have You Fed The Fish (NEW CD) US $17.01 Buy It Now 7h 59m
Country Joe McDonald Goodbye Blues LP 1977 Country Joe And The Fish US $11.61 [0 bids]
FRED SMALL IN CONCERT - EVERYTHING POSSIBLE RARE CD (FLYING FISH) US $8.95 Buy It Now 8h 5m
dillard hartford dillard-1977 LP FLYING FISH-sam bush-colvard-pepper watkins-EX US $8.99 Buy It Now 8h 17m
V.A.(DAVID HOLLAND, SAM BUSH) BLUEGRASS SESSION FLYING FISH OBI PROMO LP US $0.99 [1 bids]
Audio CD: I Love Herring And Other Fish Shticks For Kids, Mama Doni Band. Very G US $11.05 Buy It Now 8h 30m
Monkeys for Nothin' And The Chimps for Free by Reel Big Fish (CD, Jul-2007,... US $10.08 Buy It Now 8h 46m
New: JOE McDONALD (COUNTRY JOE & THE FISH) - On My Own (acoustic) CD US $9.98 Buy It Now 8h 47m
Eric Thompson And Alan Senauke - Two Guitars lp Flying Fish 393 US $13.00 Buy It Now 8h 52m
Underworld ?- Beaucoup Fish (techno) US $12.00 Buy It Now 8h 52m
Byron Berline - Outrageous (Flying Fish 227) (James Burton, Albert Lee) ('80) US $14.99 Buy It Now 8h 54m
Fish - CD 2001 - Fellini Days (Marillion) US $6.98 [10 bids]
(EH553) Kai Fish, Homerton Baby - DJ CD US $3.30 Buy It Now 9h 8m
Kelis Friday Fish Fry 1 Track Promo CD US $0.42 [0 bids]
FISH - Credo -1991 Magazine Advertisment Poster US $7.47 Buy It Now 9h 12m
Folk Country Bluegrass JOHN HARTFORD Nobody Knows What You Do LP on Flying Fish US $19.99 Buy It Now 9h 13m
John Hartford I'm Still Here 7" 45 Flying Fish FF 4016 1985 Vinyl US $4.99 Buy It Now 9h 16m
Bryan Bowers Home Home On The Road 1980 Flying Fish Release Excellent US $15.00 Buy It Now 9h 17m

More places to buy FISH music online Buy FISH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for FISH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

FISH Suits ratings distribution

FISH Suits reviews

Review by Fishy
2 stars Not his best effort I'm afraid, in 1994 Fish was known as an artist who was producing progressive rock, and Suits simply wasn't that style of music. Maybe you can describe Suits as an eighties pop album in the nineties. "mr 1470", first track of the album has an interesting lyric about a very old skull and the music is sounding pretty mysterious as well. "Lady let it lie" was the first single of the album, it isn't bad but it'sn't a new Kayleigh. At the end of the track you can hear what the problem with the album is, the songs are too long as the last two minutes keep repeating the same melody over and over again. "Emperor's song" is bloody commercial crap and also "Fortunes of war" does nothing to me. "Somebody special" is one of the best tracks although it is a rock song. "No dummy" is one of the weakest points on the album and men can only hope the Scotsman won't record this [&*!#] ever again. "Pipeline" is a complex piece of music but you keep searching for a strong melody. Maybe the best tracks of the album are the three closing tracks : "Jumpsuit city" has very interesting social commentary as a lyric and this time the funk influences are fitting in the song. "Bandwagon" sounds as Fish backing band is a Jethro Tull in good shape. The highlight of the album is the emotional "raw meat" which changes from a ballad to a pop song with influences from soul (!). Overall this isn't a bad album, Fish tries to use some influences from other style of music but the result is a misplaced pop album.

Send comments to Fishy (BETA) | Report this review (#25017) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 11, 2004

Review by Gatot
2 stars This may not be the best album of Fish solo. This was the first album that Fish released using his own label - The DICK BROS Record Company, having had a deal for 3 previous albums under Polydor. Well, this must be a very important album for Fish as since this album he has had no one to blame to if things go wrong with an album because everything is his own. He may have had a strong vision to own a record company as his own as I sensed from the lyrics of "The Company" from "Vigil .." album. He pleaded: " The company I choose is solidly singular / Totally trustworthy, straight and sincere / Polished, experienced, witty and charming / So why don't you push off, this company's my own". Yeah Fish, finally you made your dream came true ...

This album did not blow me at first listening until I got the last track "Raw Meat". This track is for me a masterpiece as it has a tasty and touchy melody - especially during intro part - that reminds me to his songs from previous albums, such as "Cliché", "Family Business" , "The Company". I think, this is Fish core competence in creating a sort of tasty melody like this. The singing style is really Fishy; it's definitely the style of his own. The voice quality is top class! The next interesting track is "Lady Let it Lie" . ugh .. a nice mellow track. Then it goes to track 1 "Mr 1470" and "Fortunes of War" as interesting tracks to enjoy. Other tracks are standard, nothing special, sometime I got bored listen to it because some of them have repeated melody - typical pop music.

Well, I leave it up to you to decide whether or not to own this CD. If you are a Fis aficionado, yeppp . this is for you. It's for collectors only. For me personally, am proud knowing Fish has successfully established a company of his own. At, he did what he preached! Congratulations, Fish! "Oh, boys would you drink to me now / Here on the hill, halfway up, halfway down / Oh, boys would you drink to me now / Here on the hill, halfway up, halfway down". "Oh for the company, dream of the company / Live for the company until I die / Oh for the company, dream of the company / Drink to the company until we die / Until we die. Until we die ......" GW, Indonesia.

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#25020) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, September 02, 2004

Review by Cygnus X-2
2 stars Fish's struggle to break away from EMI finally ended in him starting his own record company, Dick Bros. Records. This album is the first release off of that label and it would ultimately be my least favorite Fish album. Now the main problem with this album lies in the fact that each song could have been shorter, but the chorus just seems to repeat on and on for the final two minutes of the song, which not only makes it boring at points, but it also makes for a lot of extra space filled by none other than filler. The lyrics, as always with Fish, are biting, cynical, and snipe out the problems in society as well as his own problems, and are as always are top notch. Returning to record with Fish this time around are Robin Boult and Frank Usher, the guitarists on Internal Exile, Kevin Wilkinson, who joined Fish on the Internal Exile tour, and Dave Paton, who played bass on Internal Exile. So in the end, 1994 would see the arrival of Suits, Fish's weakest studio effort.

Mr. 1470 has a mysterious feeling and some interesting underlying percussion. The guitar riffing and the stellar bass performance only make this track one of the best on the album. Although right from the start you can hear the major problem with this album, the endings, which are too contrived and more importantly, too long, with the same melody repeated over and over again until a fade out. Lade Let it Lie (and most of the other tracks on this album) suffer from this problem. Although it has a nice overall pace and some interesting Rothery-esque riffing, the song is dragged down by a contrived chorus and an overly long ending section. Emperor's Song doesn't really do much for me, it has this overall really cheesy feel, and the synthesizers feel a bit dated in this atmosphere. And the ending chorus takes up a third of the song, which gets really boring really fast. Fortunes of War is a more mellow and somber piece. It doesn't really seem to go anywhere fast, though, despite nice guitar work and some interesting keyboard parts. Once again, the main problem lies in the excessive length of the song itself.

Somebody Special continues the type of songs like Just Good Friends and Dear Friend off of Internal Exile, a heartfelt ballad that doesn't really fit on a Fish album, albeit a rockier type piece. I must mention such great unison guitar work from Usher and Boult, although not as great as the unison work on Tongues off of Internal Exile. No Dummy suffers from the main problem of this album, in that it just goes on forever and ever in the ending. On top of that, the piece doesn't really evolve and it doesn't even go anywhere. Pipeline is a mellow piece with some subtle bongo percussion and some ethereal keyboards, as well as some underlying lead guitar themes, but once again despite many interesting parts, I'm a bit underwhelmed by the piece. Jumpsuit City has a nice groove and some intuitive drumming from Kevin Wilkinson. It doesn't really reach a climax and retains a mellow pace. Bandwagon is a piece that has a commercial edge to it. Some tight grooves and interesting choruses are here, and it actually is one of the better songs on the album. Raw Meat ends the album with probably the best overall piece. Some interesting and melodic keyboards are met with some acoustic guitar arpeggios and some great lead work, as well as probably the best lyrics and vocals on the album.

Overall, Suits is far from Fish's best album. It could have used a lot of editing and some of the songs should have been better refined. Still, if you're a fan of Fish, you'll probably find some enjoyment out of this album. For me, though, I'm underwhelmed by this album and will regard this as Fish's weak point for a long time to come. 2/5.

Send comments to Cygnus X-2 (BETA) | Report this review (#84697) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, July 24, 2006

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars One of the problem with this album is its length. It still reminds me the romantic "Marillion" with songs like "Lady Let It Lie" for instance. Fish's voice always being so great to listen to. At least, I feel so.

The mood is on the commercial side or full of melancholia ("Fortunes Of War"). As one would say, a pleasant work. Some rockier atmosphere (with good Spanish guitar intro) during "Somebody Special". Hypnotic beat and powerful bass guitar. Maybe a bit too funky for my ears. Repetitive, but this a dominant feature on this album, and this has been already and correctly underlined by "Fishy" in his review.

Same funky (but less inspired) flavour with "No Dummy". A weak number IMO. The intro of "Pipeline" reminds me "Won't Get Fooled Again". We are again on a rockier edge (even heavy) and I have the impression that Fish is willing to sing closer to Phil Collins.

I would be more indulgent with this album than the majority of the reviewers (for once). It is enjoyable, yet longish. Some nice ballads, some pleasant rock songs and two or three fillers. All in all, a good album.

And the best is yet to come. "Bandwagon", is one my favourite track of this album. An heavy number with great rhythm (vaguely Tull oriented). The band is really powerful, effective. On par with the big man.

And the closing is just superb. A great crescendo track which allows Fish to fully show his great vocal capabilities. Full of subtlety, this is a true "Marillion" song. Yes, it is at this level. Raw Meat is the highlight of this album without the slightest shadow of a doubt.

Three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#165833) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 06, 2008

Review by progrules
2 stars In my previous review of Fish's Sunsets album I mentioned the period before that release and actually this one, Suits, represents that period best. After "Vigil" the next three albums couldn't match the fine debut in any sense. Lately I checked out this one for a decisive judgement and compared to Sunsets this one indeed sounds pretty flat.

The opening song Mr.1470 demonstrates this remarkably. Not especially bad but a bit flat and pale sounding, even the guitar solo isn't really sparkling. Next up is the highlight to me: Lady let it lie. A wonderful song with a very good vocal performance. On the other hand it doesn't reach the excellence level in my opinion. And then we have told just about half the story here. If a good/very good song is almost the very highlight of the album, that is not a very good sign right ?

Out of the next seven songs I just like Fortunes of War somewhat, it appears a nice ballad. The rest of the songs is at best mediocre and will have to be decisive for the standard of this album I'm afraid. Just a special mention for the final track Raw Meat which is in the end the absolute stand out song of this release. A very good song indeed, again very well sung. But unfortunately it can't save the overall standard for "Suits" so I will have to leave this one at two stars (2,4).

Send comments to progrules (BETA) | Report this review (#253239) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, November 28, 2009

Review by Tarcisio Moura
3 stars Fish´s third album, and not nearly as bad as some people claim. That´s my final conclusion after many spins. I even avoided the CD for a long time because so many other reviewers were so down to this work that I didn´t want to risk my hard earned money into something that might be not worth it. However, being a big fan of early Marillion and having listened to several other Fish´s solo output I deciced to take a shot on this one anyway and I got the remastered version, with a beautiful booklet with extensive notes from the man himself. I was not blown away by it, but also I was not disappointed either.

It is clear that Suits is a different album from the previous two. It is more guitar and is more ´song´ oriented, the keyboards are much in the background. But it is also quite progressive and very well done. The four first tracks are just great and Lady Let Die is surely one of fish´s best. The biggest problem I see on Suits is that most of the remaning stuff is also of quality, but overlong: songs like Jumpsuit City and No Dummy, just to mention two, would benefit a lot with some editing. He just goes on and on too much. The production here is quite superior than those I´ve seen on his solo output so far. You can hear everything quite clear and the balance is excellent. The lyrics are, as expected, quite clever and insightful and the liner notes on the booklet are quite helpful to fully understand some of them.

In the end I found this CD a bit too long and its second part drags on a little, but I like it as a whole, not just few songs. Suits is different, ok, but very good prog rock. If some of the tunes only was a little shorter I could give it a higher rating. As it is I´d give it 3. Good, but not really essential.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#278018) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 15, 2010

Review by octopus-4
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR RIO/Avant/Zeuhl Team
3 stars This is the kind of album which needs a track-by track comment as there's not a concept or just a dotted line between the tracks. The style is in line with the post-Marillion period and after a not very good album of covers it appears to be a little better. The presence of the former Alan Parson's Project and Camel David Paton is less relevant than expected.

It doesn't start very well, anyway. The opener is a repetitive uptime song on which Fish repeats the word "Suits" several times. From here the album's title.

Things start to go better with "Lady Let It Lie" and "Emperor's Song" which are more on the early Marillion's chords. "Fortunes Of War" seems taken from Clutching At Straws, so a sequence of three good songs.

I don't like much the songs of the kind of "Somebody Special" even if they have ever been part of the Fish production. Too much Peter Gabriel for me.

"No Dummy" is a song that doesn't lead anywhere. At least for me. Not that is bad or disturbing, only it's not a reason to make me buy the album. It should be jazzy or funky in the author's intentions but I think it doesn't meet the target. And it's not funky that I look for in a Fish album. "Pipeline" is a little better but I sometimes skip it.

"Jumpsuit City" is a more regular Fish song, not a masterpiece, but surely better than the previous two. It's jazzy but it doesn't appear "forced" like No Dummy.

"Bandwagon" is a funny song, but try to sing it spelling "Under Pressure" instead of "Bandwagon"...a coincidence of course.

"Raw Meat"...is it a prologue to Sushi? Joking apart it's a song from the romantic side of Fish, that's I think what he does better. The only song on this album that can compete with the best songs of Vigil from a musical point of view.

This is not a bad album, but it's still far from the debut and has some weak songs in the middle. A shorter album would have been better.

Send comments to octopus-4 (BETA) | Report this review (#446906) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 13, 2011

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars An elegant suit

Fish's two first solo albums, Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors and Internal Exile, both featured some really great songs (most notably the respective title tracks), but unfortunately also some rather weak and even slightly embarrassing ones. The present album never quite reaches the highs of those two albums, but it also never really sinks to their lows. As such, Suits is a more even album even if there are some lesser tracks in the middle of the album.

There is a somewhat broader set of musical influences here with many subtle but noticeable Folk and World-Music elements. Even if not all of this album is precisely my cup of tea, it is nice to see Fish try out some new things. It may not be the kind of Neo-Prog anymore that Marillion fans would expect. But, who knows, maybe this would appeal to a completely different set of people altogether (if they only heard it)?

Fish's vocals are as good and distinctive as always and the material is actually quite good with only a few bearable exceptions. The opening track, Mr. 1470, is probably my favourite track here, but also Lady Let It Lie, Fortunes Of War, and some others are not bad at all.

Good, but hardly essential

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#730625) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 16, 2012

3 stars An enjoyable album. Still reminiscent of the Marillion 80s era with some more modern sounds. Even if there are no specific weaknesses in this album, there are no real peaks either nor this something extra that makes you take it out of your shelf again and again. Two songs are above average : ... (read more)

Report this review (#263543) | Posted by Subterranean | Saturday, January 30, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Great music, Suits could have become a classic Fish album if only they had cut it down. Make the songs shorter and dumped the filler songs. No need for an album to last 73 minutes when there's only 45 minutes of good material, and 45 minutes is long enough for me. So a missed opportunity for F ... (read more)

Report this review (#92393) | Posted by tuxon | Wednesday, September 27, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is the first Fish solo album I listen to. I love the Marillion albums where he is the singer. Without knowing anything of this before, without reading these reviews I started to listen and from the very beginning this was, I mean this is, strong stuff! Same high quality in compositions a ... (read more)

Report this review (#71618) | Posted by pirkka | Saturday, March 11, 2006 | Review Permanlink

2 stars There are some good songs on this album which come over well live- Mr1470, Emperor's Song, Pipeline..... Raw Meat is highly regarded amongst the fanbase but I personally much prefer the draft version on live cd 'Toiling in the Reeperbahn'. This album marked Fish's first on his own label. It ... (read more)

Report this review (#40439) | Posted by oldcrow | Wednesday, July 27, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Among Fish albums this one is considered one of the worst. That's true. But even if it's not his best album it's still a piece of good music. Maybe not too perceptive, but still good. I bought it few years ago just before Easter, and I kept listening to it on and on. We have few gems here: La ... (read more)

Report this review (#25023) | Posted by | Friday, April 22, 2005 | Review Permanlink

1 stars I'm a great fan of all Fish realisations with Marillion. Excellent work. I love his 'Vigel...' and 'Eternal...', but... I don't like this CD. I don't know why, but it gives me a bad feeling. The only song I like is 'Fortunes of War'. ... (read more)

Report this review (#25021) | Posted by | Monday, February 14, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars some good moments but it's over-produced, the keyboard sounds are quite crappy and most of the songs should be one or two minutes shorter...Though the Roadrunner remasters give a wider sound it's stull the most disappointing Fish solo album... ... (read more)

Report this review (#25016) | Posted by | Wednesday, March 17, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of FISH "Suits"