Peter Hammill - X My Heart CD (album) cover

X MY HEART

Peter Hammill

Bonnek
Prog Metal Team
2 stars X My Heart is a reasonably consistent Hammill album, but unfortunately that is mostly due to the steady average quality then to any sort of excellence.

Not all songs hit the mark but there's not one without an interesting hook or angle. Especially Ram Origami and A Forest of Pronouns are strong tracks that are performed with a restrained but intense passion. Even the weakest spot for me, the ballad Come Clean isn't that bad. In fact it reminds me a lot of what Nick Cave would resort to 2 years later.

With this album Hammill healed himself from the worst side-effects of his musical midlife crisis that had lasted for 10 years. X My Heart and every album he has released since is a lot stronger then what preceded.

Bonnek | 2/5 |