Deep Purple - Machine Head CD (album) cover

Deep Purple

Proto-Prog

Bonnek
Prog Metal Team
3 stars Machine Head manages to combine the focus of In Rock with the improved sound of Fireball. As a bonus it adds another set of classic Deep Purple songs to your collection.

Highway Star is a perfect opener, swift and catchy, aggressive yet melodic, tightly rocking but still leaving enough room for short and snappy soloing. Maybe I'm A Leo is maybe a bit formulaic and lacks a bit of punch. Pictures of Home is another outstanding song and one of my favourites here. By contrast Never Before is very average. The remainder of the album is all classic material and appears in extended form on Made In Japan.

This brings me to motivating my rating. It is a good album of course; at times it's even excellent, but apart from Pictures of Home, every track I love here appears in a much better rendition on Made In Japan. Next, I think In Rock was decidedly more relevant and more consistent. Anyway, it's 3 solid stars.

Bonnek | 3/5 |