Kansas - Leftoverture CD (album) cover

LEFTOVERTURE

Kansas

friso
2 stars Kansas - Leftoverture (1976)

Whereas the United States had a flourishing classic rock and psychedelic rock scene, progressive rock has never been a speciality of the country. Nowadays mainly progressive metal come from America, but back in the seventies there is this one crossover prog group called Kansas. This record was among my first ten vinyl records and I used to listen to it quite often. Nowadays I must admit I think this is overrated crossover with little progressive elements. But that ain't the real problem for me, I just can't stand the poppy way of singing and recording Kansas applied. Though some parts are progressive, they just sound poppy anyway due to the soft nature of the band. I would have liked to see some rough edges between all the way to perfect vocals.

Some tracks have some great moments like the chord-progressions on The Wall, the interesting refrain of Miracles out of Nowhere and the fresh Magnum Opes, but this does not compensate for the insipid sound of the record.

I will give this two stars. Very very overrated material played by a band that clearly has some quality in it, but is not cocksure en aggressive enough to sound progressive.

friso | 2/5 |