Peter Gabriel - Peter Gabriel (1 -

PETER GABRIEL (1 - "CAR")

Peter Gabriel

Rune2000
Prog Metal Team
4 stars Could Gabriel make it on his own without his fellow band members backing him up? Well, apparently he could and this album demonstrates it quite nicely!

On his debut solo album Gabriel shows his complete eccentric body of work which is far from what his band effort could ever accept him do in Genesis. This is both because of the restrain of a rock band lineup and the fact that an artist of Gabriel's persona was just too bright to only remain a Genesis front man. Although I can't really figure out what Robert Fripp and Tony Levin are doing on this record I still consider it a great piece of contemporary Art Rock of an album. One particular track that has grown considerably on me is Down The Dolce Vita which I originally thought of as a filler.

From Moribund The Burgermeister to Here Comes The Flood it's a joy to hear such a variety of sounds and ideas from a man who has already given us so much pleasure during his early days.

***** stars songs: Moribund The Burgermeister (4:20) Solsbury Hill (4:21) Excuse Me (3:20) Here Comes The Flood (5:38)

**** star songs: Modern Love (3:38) Humdrum (3:25) Slowburn (4:36) Down The Dolce Vita (5:05)

*** star songs: Waiting For The Big One (7:15)

Total Rating: 4,25