Peter Gabriel - Up  CD (album) cover

UP

Peter Gabriel

Rune2000
Prog Metal Team
4 stars What can I say about this album that has not been said before? It's a true return to form where every track has something new to offer with every new spin. But it wasn't always like that.

I admit that it took me quite some time and effort to fully gasp this albums genius, but now I definitely consider it to be up there with Peter Gabriel (3 - "Melt"). Every composition feels well crafted and thought through to the smallest detail. This can create an almost clinical effect since there really isn't a single unplanned note on the entire album, but I really like this type of material especially coming from a master like Peter Gabriel. Every track, besides the closing number, is a 6+ minute adventure that takes the listener through many different music frontiers. The transitions between different sections is done to perfection, especially on tracks like Growing Up and I Grieve. The only minor misstep for me here is the pretty straightforward More Than This that becomes a bit tiresome after the first three minutes.

The only thing that I definitely still regret is that I've missed out on Gabriel's Growing Up-tour when it came to Stockholm since according to the DVD these compositions sound even better in a live setting! It's great to see that Peter Gabriel is still going strong and even getting better with every passing year!

***** star songs: Darkness (6:51) Growing Up (7:33) I Grieve (7:24) Signal To Noise (7:36)

**** star songs: Sky Blue (6:37) No Way Out (7:53) The Barry Williams Show (7:16) My Head Sounds Like That (6:29) More Than This (6:02) The Drop (3:01)

Total rating: 4,44