Queensr˙che - Empire CD (album) cover

EMPIRE

Queensr˙che

Rune2000
Prog Metal Team
3 stars After the success of Operation: Mindcrime the band decided to go in a direction of a more commercial sound which was supposed to please both the critics and fans.

Empire is probably the most accessible release to date in Queensr˙che's catalog with song highlights like Best I Can, Empire, Another Rainy Night and Silent Lucidity. Personally I've always considered it an easy was out of writing a strong follow-up album to Operation: Mindcrime but I really can't blame this album for the lack of material. Having said that I still don't see the greatness of Jet City Woman and it really made no sense seeing the band perform it as the final track during their Operation : Mindcrime II-tour.

I'm sure that fans of Queensr˙che's other albums will find at least a few good tracks on Empire but that's pretty much it. The final product is a good, but non-essential release.

***** star songs: Another Rainy Night (Without You) (4:29)

**** star songs: Best I Can (5:34) The Thin Line (5:43) Empire (5:24) Resistance (4:51) Silent Lucidity (5:48) Hand On Heart (5:33) One And Only (5:54) Anybody Listening? (7:41)

*** star songs: Jet City Woman (5:22) Della Brown (7:04)

Total rating: 3,88