Queensr˙che - Operation : Mindcrime II CD (album) cover

Prog Metal Team
2 stars Queensr˙che surprised everyone in 2006 by releasing a follow-up album to their 18-year old masterpiece. Operation: Mindcrime II was initially met with positive reviews and exclamations of Queensr˙che's revival. Well actually the things weren't all that great since I found this release overambitious and eventually quite dull.

It all starts off well with the thematic intro followed by the up-tempo track I'm American. Unfortunately this is where the album runs out of steam since once the story actually begins the music suffers tremendously. There are just no hooks or memorable interplays to keep me interested in the progression and once the album is over and I've learned how the story ends there's just not much replay value. On top of that Murderer? is probably the worst track that the band ever released and it's gonna take great deal of therapy in order to erase it from my brain.

I can't blame the band for not trying since lyrically this is an interesting follow-up but the music is too bland and uninteresting that I could have just as well bought a the booklet and read the lyrics without spending my money on the entire CD.

***** star songs: I'm American (2:53)

**** star songs: Freiheit Ouvertüre (1:36) Hostage (4:30) The Hands (4:37) If I Could Change It All (4:28) Fear City Slide (4:58)

*** star songs: Convict (0:08) One Foot In Hell (4:13) Speed Of Light (3:12) Signs Say Go (3:17) Re-arrange You (3:11) The Chase (3:10) Circles (2:59) An Intentional Confrontation (2:32) A Junkie's Blues (3:42) All The Promises (5:11)

** star songs: Murderer? (4:34)

Total rating: 3,36