Genesis - Nursery Cryme CD (album) cover

Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams
3 stars Meh.

This is the first album by the complete "classic" Genesis lineup. And I'll have to admit, the songwriting is very good. But as usual, the performances always leave me wishing for more. I just don't hear the band pushing the music to the stratosphere. That's why this band will always be second tier prog to me. It doesn't appear to be for lack of trying. Banks and Hackett put in their fair share of solos. They just leave me flat.

The Musical Box has some nice sections, but kind of lame lyrics (maybe they're just too British for me). The Return Of The Giant Hogweed is memorable. Harold The Barrel is a listenable uptempo song. The Fountain Of Salmacis I like the most on this album. It's a good closer, as it almost makes me forget the shortcomings of the rest of the album.

Evolver | 3/5 |