Can - Landed  CD (album) cover

LANDED

Can

Krautrock

UMUR
3 stars "Stranded" is the 7th full-length studio album by German experimental/ psychadelic rock act Can and the second album after the departure of lead vocalist Damo Suzuki. The last couple of albums, while still enjoyable, havenīt really made my blood boil and as a newcommer to Can I try and listen to each album with fresh ears and give each album an equal chance to impress me. I donīt have any preconceived opinions. Itīs hard not to notice the decline in quality over the last couple of albums though and "Stranded" doesnīt really help much on that impression.

The music on "Stranded" is very much like the music on "Soon Over Babaluma (1974)" IMO. Just a bit more easily accessible. "Stranded" is still charactarized by the trademark repetitive beats though and both "Vernal Equinox", and the 13:20 minutes long closing track "Unfinished", feature the usual experiments as do the other shorter tracks albeit in smaller portions. Itīs hard to say whatīs missing really but the album just doesnīt appeal as much to me as the earlier albums do. Can are still an exceptionally well playing band and that of course is one of the greatest assets on the album. The production isnīt as interesting as it could have been and it actually sounds a bit cold to my ears.

"Stranded" gets a 3 - 3.5 star (65%) rating from me as it is after all a good album but ultimately lacks the really great things that the best albums by the band have.

UMUR | 3/5 |