Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear CD (album) cover

SCRIPT FOR A JESTER'S TEAR

Marillion

Any Colour You Like
3 stars I have tried to let Script for A Jester's Tear grow on me, honest. But there is something about this album that does not quite click with me. Perhaps it is because I hear too many 70's symphonic cliches and clear Genesis appreciation moments, or just because Fish over-dramatises the vocals. This is not to say that the album was not historically important nor competently composed and performed, because it clearly was.

Throughout the tracks, there is a palatable sense of theatrics and emotion in Fish's vocals, aided by a some emotional guitar and typically smooth symphonic goodness. The tracks appear overly lyrical for my liking, but have several interesting musical divergences that keep a fresh feeling throughout the album. However, I do have a problem with some of the sections that simply sound like an 80's version of the Gabriel-era Genesis. Not a serious crime by any means, but one that I can never remove from my mind when listening to Script. Despite my reservations, when the mood is right, Script can be a rewarding listen, and naturally, credit must be given for having the foresight and passion to make such an album. Rothery's guitar work is a highlight for me, smooth and emotional, without over-doing his welcome. For me, the album just suffers from try to be too much of what it was not. Perhaps a lack of maturity? This does not mean that Marillion would not develop into one of the most significant progressive rock band of the 1980s. Nor does it exclude Script as a solid but deeply flawed listen.

Any Colour You Like | 3/5 |