Faust - Faust CD (album) cover

Faust

Krautrock

Rune2000
Prog Metal Team
3 stars The self-titled debut album from Faust is a surprisingly effective classic of the Krautrock-genre. Still, I would want to give anyone the false impression that this is an essential album that everyone should own in their collections.

I feel that this album deserves a lot more praise from me. Unfortunately it is not easy to enjoy the second side as much as the excellent first one. Why Don't You Eat Carrots is amazing to say the least. This 10 minute composition basically defines the Krautrock-genre for me! Meadow Meal might not have quite as high composition-quality to it but still manages to leave an overall positive impression. Still it's the final improvisational piece called Miss Fortune that completely ruins this experience for me. The track drags on for almost 17 minutes during which there aren't really that many interesting moments.

After saying that I still urge everyone who found what I mentioned to be exciting and is interested in broadening their musical horizons to give this album a spin. Who knows, maybe you will find it a whole lot more enjoyable!

***** star songs: Why Don't You Eat Carrots (9:31)

**** star songs: Meadow Meal (8:02)

*** star songs: Miss Fortune (16:35)

Rune2000 | 3/5 |