Camel - Mirage CD (album) cover

MIRAGE

Camel

Sinusoid
4 stars More prog than the debut, hence the slightly higher PA rating. This is due to the presence of two multi-part mini-suites, ''Nimrodel'' and ''Lady Fantasy''. Both are well played featuring a vast collection of keyboard sounds, hard-rocking guitar solos and a few theme changes that sound natural. The epics are symphonic in nature with ''Nimrodel'' scoring points for featuring what sounds like a festive orchestra in the beginning of the piece.

The song ''Freefall'' is of personal importance to me because it was the song that helped invigorate my interest in Camel. I had thought they were a completely tepid, boring, lazy jazz- inspired prog group until my friend played me ''Freefall'' and my interest quickly changed. It sounds nothing more than 60's psych-rock leftovers, but if that one song re-energizes my interest in a band, there's got to some magic somewhere.

The other two numbers are ''ho-hum'' jazzy instrumentals; ''Supertwister'' is interesting due to the flute playing, but that's about it. But overall, this is a very well-played, well-executed prog rock album that most fans of the genre should try out.

Sinusoid | 4/5 |