Anthony Phillips - Slow Dance CD (album) cover

Anthony Phillips

5 stars I cannot for the life of me figure out why this album hasn't gotten more traction. It's brilliant. I read one review of this album somewhere that concluded with "Watch your back Mike Oldfield!" - he wasn't kidding. SLOW DANCE is such a monumental piece of music, it's got to be listened to!!! With sweeping orchestration, perfectly infused keyboards and synths, percussion, and the harp!!! (I love that harp), it is, no kiddiing, a 5 star album. No vocals, just lush, instrumentation. PHILLIPS takes the listener on a journey, a joy ride, a trust walk, a peek into the wiindow of the heavens. The level of feeling that OLDFIELD evokes with loud, thrilling sounds, PHILLIPS accomplishes with beauty and understatment (not that there aren't some ballsy bits in here. There is a jostling section that'll knock your socks off!) Evoking just as much, but a different kind of emotion! Without getting into a proper "review" of the album, you'll have to trust me on this one, THIS IS AWESOME, CLASSIC PROG MUSIC. A giant, thematic work in two parts. Go to your local (on-line?) music store and DEMAND a copy of this CD. Then INSIST that you pay double the price. Haggle up! If they give you a funny look, ask to see the proprietor. It will be money well spent. And the look on the clerks face - priceless.
| 5/5 |