Klaus Schulze - Irrlicht CD (album) cover

Klaus Schulze

Progressive Electronic

Rune2000
Prog Metal Team
3 stars Cyborg was one of those pleasant surprises since I'm not a huge fan of electronic music to begin with. After doing some research I've found out that Klaus had implemented same basic techniques on his debut album. It took me some time but eventually I've got a hold of Irrlicht.

It's true that this album is similar to the follow-up album Cyborg but in my opinion Irrlicht somehow manages to miss the mark. The two 20+ min tracks are very organic but they lack a lead that would take them to a higher level. The shorter Satz Gewitter feels more like an experiment and could easily be omitted from the bunch.

I'm quite aware of the fact that this was Klaus Schulzes debut so I'll cut him some slack, besides it didn't take him long to perfect his formula. What I'm basically saying is that if you're interested in this electronic pioneer's early career then you should probably start with Cyborg before checking out Irrlicht.

**** star songs: Satz Ebene (23:23) Satz Exil Sils Maria (21:26)

*** star songs: Satz Gewitter (5:40)

Rune2000 | 3/5 |