The Doors - Strange Days CD (album) cover

STRANGE DAYS

The Doors

Proto-Prog

friso
4 stars The Doors - Strange Days (second record of 1967)

And The Doors continue their tour-de-force!

Yet another psychedelic/classic rock masterpiece of major band The Doors. 1967 must have been a busy year for them. For their second album The Doors composed a lot of tracks with some reference to their début, but also some new experiments and a lot of 'gothic' blues (as some-one described it). These are the winning ways.

Side one. Strange Days has a very progressive abstract/futuristic sound with a great effect on the vocals of Jim Morrison. The songs has a lonely vibe in music history, it's very original. You're lost Little Girl is a gothic blues track with tender vocals of Jim Morrison and a great sixties rock refrein and a James Bond-like couplet theme. Love me two Times is a classic blues-rock track that needs no further description. Unhappy Girl has some psychedelic vibes, whilst Horse Latitudes is a sound-scape based composition with a very very aggresive, yet poetic, story of Jim Morrison. Moonlight Drive is a poetic pop song that I've never understood. A lot of people tend to like it as a classic song still.

On side two the famous People are Strange get us back into the album concept with a gentle guitar theme and again very impressive vocals by Jim Morrison. My Eyes Have Seen You is an up-tempo track that is just very good without a reason. I can't See your face in my Mind is a psychedelic track with a great atmospheric main couplet theme whilst other parts of the song are more rock-like. When the music's over is an eleven minute song based on the psychedelic/hypnotic vibe of The End. It's not as good as the original, but it has some nice ideas and a killer main melody. It's a sexy moment to seduce your girlfriend/wife! ..did I say that?...

Conclusion. You can't go wrong with this one, this pure energy and inspiration. Furthermore it would be very hard to find a record from 1967 that more progressive then this one. Four stars. Another perfect Doors album.

friso | 4/5 |