Genesis - Nursery Cryme CD (album) cover

NURSERY CRYME

Genesis

friso
5 stars Genesis - Nursery Cryme (1971)

My favourite Genesis effort!

Well.. this is actually the only Genesis album I would give the five star rating. Genesis isn't quite my favourite prog-band. Instead of the symphonic camp Yes-Genesis I've always been more attracted to the eclectic triangle of VdGG, KC and GG. Nevertheless Genesis is one of the most important bands of the symphonic genre and I own most of their progressive albums (I still got to find a good vinyl copy of The Lamb). The recording of this record has had some critics complaining, but the vinyl version has an acceptable sound for an album of 1971. No vinyl = no complains about the recording. Futhermore I'd like to say this is essential mellotron listening.

The musical box is the first epic on the album. It's melodic, tense, bombastic, theatrical, atmospheric and dynamic. This is Genesis at it's best! For Absent Friends is a short, but still impressive song. I like the fact that it cuts the first halve in two parts. It's directly followed by my Genesis favourite: The Return of the Giant Hogweed. Some crazy story put on progressive music like never seen before or after. The aggressive first halve is intense and the bombastic symphonic ending section (including. the song of the Hogweed themselves) is memorable. I love this track!

Side two has shorter pieces that are nevertheless masterful. Seven Stones is another story songs with impressive symphonic structures. Harold the Barrel is an sophisticated storyline track with lot's of different people represented. One should not judge about this song before reading the lyrics with the information required to understand this song. Harlequin and Fountain of Salmiacs are both great symphonic tracks with some catchy vocals and bombastic mellotron driven chord progressions.

Conclusion. An hell of an achievement by Genesis! One of the most important albums of the symphonic genre, and not just because it's widely known. No, this is true quality that deserves to be celebrated. Five stars without hesitation!

friso | 5/5 |