Genesis - Foxtrot CD (album) cover

FOXTROT

Genesis

friso
4 stars Genesis - Foxtrot (1972)

These were the glory days of progressive music. First we have the great Nursury Cryme in 1971 and then the good follow-up Foxtrot. Genesis continued in their symphonic mellotron driven style with story-like lyrics of mister Gabriel. The music is intense, theatrical, bombastic and sometimes intimate. Though Genesis wasn't an eclectic experimental band, they did do a great deal of inventive composition in the symphonic genre. The recording of Foxtrot was less good then Nursury Cryme (It might be a lonely view of mine) and not everything is as perfect as modern symphonic music. But hey, here lies the strength of the music. At least they had to play their keys themselves and not some silly programmed midi-synthesizer.

Side one begins with Watcher of the Skies with it's memorable ancient (spaceship approaching) heavy mellotron chord-progression. Great opening! The song in 6/8 time signature is very well composed and very interesting to listen to. The chord-progression in the bridges before the refrain are very enjoyable. Time Table is a down-tempo song that's less interesting but still emotionally and attractive. Get 'Em Out by Friday is one of my Genesis favourites with is crazy story with real emotions. Gabriel is at it's best here, though his bad microphone technique fails to give us a clear recording. Every part of the story is put very well to music and the composition is great throughout the songs. The great lyrics on the ending section about halve sized humans that would make fit twice as much humans in the same building site are both funny and alarming. Can-Utility And The Coastliners is a nice symphonic track with some interesting twits, but it isn't as interesting as the song that came before it.

Side two has one short opening song and the famous Supper's Ready. I must admit that I never really got into the concept of this track. I find side two to be the lesser of the two. After side I've always get the feeling I've heard enough Genesis for today. I don't want to offend any-one, but that's just the way it is for me. I can tell that the composition is again great and the use of key instrument interesting. The bombastic moments are strong and the emotions intense.

Conclusion. This album deserves to be recognised as one of the important symphonic prog albums of the seventies, but isn't an essential recording for all progressive music collections. Therefore I give it four stars. Not completely my taste, but still an album I wouldnt want to miss.

friso | 4/5 |