Gryphon - Red Queen To Gryphon Three & Raindance CD (album) cover

Gryphon

Prog Folk

Evolver
Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
4 stars What most amazes me about this band is that I had never heard them until I joined this web site. They are definitely the type of band I would have listened to back in the seventies. But such is the way of music exploration. This way they are fresh to my ears now.

While I enjoy both of the albums on this collection immensely, I find that I enjoy Red Queen To Gryphon Three more of the two. That album is more of a mix of medeival (did I spell that right?) music mixed with modern (1970's) progressive rock. The result is reminiscent of some of Gentle Giant's work in the same era, but with a more renaissance fair (huzzah!) feel to it. Pour me some more mead, and hand me that leg of lamb, wench!

The second half is quite good as well, but it's a more traditional seventies prog rock album. There is still a bit of the early music feel, but it really is only a trace.

Evolver | 4/5 |