Big Big Train - English Boy Wonders  CD (album) cover

ENGLISH BOY WONDERS

Big Big Train

ZowieZiggy
3 stars To be fully honest (as I have always been), my brother once referred to this band and asked me what I was thinking about their music. He likes the neo-prog genre more than I do which is probably due to the age difference we both figure.

Still, when I listen to the music available on their first album, I couldn't find any glittering prizes. Some fine guitar breaks submerged into an ocean of below average music.

It is a real pain to listen to this album from start to finish. Is this prog? Is this neo-prog? I don' t know. To my standards, what I can listen here is just average music, borderline.

This debut album is hard to define. Well, actually: the more I listen to it; the least difficulties I have while thinking about it. The global feeling being just an average and a longish album. Even if some nice melodies as " Cloudless And Starry And Still" are available.

Things are definitely improving with one of the best track: the long and gorgeous " Albion Perfide". Wild guitar breaks are combined with some peaceful imposing keyboard breaks and provides a fantastic feel.

As far as I'm concerned the epic "The Shipping Forecast" is the best track available: it holds some great mellotron parts and overall fine breaks. Most of these parts are pure magical moments. This song is the best available, it is a great and fabulous moment of music. Superb, really.

Just a little behing is the great " Reaching For John Dowland". A complex song which varies from from folk acoustic matter to eclectic sublime matter.

Remaining songs aren't so thrilling and I have to admit that as a whole, I can only rate this work with three starts.

ZowieZiggy | 3/5 |