Eskaton - 4 Visions CD (album) cover

4 VISIONS

Eskaton

Zeuhl

toroddfuglesteg
3 stars This is one of the albums recommended to all Zeuhl newbies. So I went ahead and bought this album.

Easy listening, it ain't. That Dun album is far more accessible than this album. The opening track Eskaton is almost opera with some insane jazz and marching band rhythms thrown in. Zeuhl in other words and pretty similar to what Magma is doing. Attente is a typical piece of Zeuhl. Ecoute has a good jazz theme as it's major asset. Pitie is much more a pastoral piece of music than a Magma clone. Le Cri is also a good jazz/zeuhl song.

My gripes......... Nothing really. Maybe the Zeuhl genre is a bridge too far for me. Jazz and Post-Metal is OK for me. Zeuhl.......maybe not. I still think this album is good though. Ecoute, Eskaton, Le Cri and Pitie is for me the best tracks here on an album I have spent a lot of time on. I do not fully understand Attente and I have some problems grasping the whole Zeuhl genre. That is my problem and not Eskaton's problem because 4 Visions is in essence a very good album. I give this album three stars and reserve my rights to come back and up it to four stars if I finally grasp this Zeuhl thingy.

3.5 stars