4 VISIONS

1. Eskaton (10:24)
2. Attente (10:12)
3. Ecoute (13:00)
4. Pitie (8:44)

Includes the following bonus track on the first two CD reissues:
5. Le Cri (9:05)

And the following four tracks on the Soleil Zeuhl release:
5. Les Chutes Du Sanzu (5:39)
6. La Horde (5:02)

- Amara Tahir / voice

Recorded in 1979 - first released in 1981
CD Ad Perpetuam Memoriam - APM 9511
CD Eurock EC81002
CD Soleil Zeuhl 23 - Released in 2010 with alternate artwork and four bonus tracks (recorded 1984-85)

and to mellotron storm for the last updates

ESKATON MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ESKATON 4 Visions Music

4 Visions4 Visions
Soleil Zeuhl 1979
FictionFiction
Soleil Zeuhl 2005
4 VISIONS +44 VISIONS +4
MARQUEE

More places to buy ESKATON music online Buy ESKATON & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ESKATON DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ESKATON 4 Visions ratings distribution

ESKATON 4 Visions reviews

Review by Steve Hegede
5 stars "4 Visions" is another masterpiece from the French scene. But this band doesn't play theatrical prog. Rather, ESKATON were influenced by Zeuhl inventors, MAGMA. For those of you unfamiliar with Magma's sound, their music combined Wagner-esque grandeur with Eastern European rhythms and melodies, Germanic-like chanting (keep in mind that MAGMA sang in a made-up language), and almost ritual-like repetition (slowly building grooves to a frenzy). Unlike MAGMA, ESKATON emphasized quick and furious theme development, and less repetition. They also sang in French rather than Kobaian. ESKATON consisted of a guitarist, bassist, keyboardist, drummer, and two female singers. The most impressive musicians in this band is the bassist. He is a monster on the instrument, and effortlessly spits out grooves that are fast, funky, and absolutely danceable (some part of your body will move to his grooves). The reissued CD consists of the 4 original tracks, and a bonus track. "4 Visions" is one of the top Zeuhl albums out there.

Send comments to Steve Hegede (BETA) | Report this review (#30628) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 27, 2004

Review by chamberry
4 stars For those of you who couldn't get into Zeuhl the first time around...

Eskaton's 4 Visions is one of the easiest album to get into when talking about the Zeuhl genre. If you didn't like the repetitiveness of Magma, the darkness of Shub-Niggurath or just think that the Zeuhl sound is too weird for your taste then this is the band for you.

Let's start with their sound. This band is one of the grooviest (if not the grooviest) band I've heard from the genre and its all thanks to the excellent bass player, André Bernardi. His furious, pompous and groovy playing will keep you hooked from start to finish and it's virtually impossible not to move or dance while listening to this album. The vocals are very typical from the genre with two female vocals singing and chanting in French, they don't get as harsh as the vocals in Magma's MDK though. The rest of the band are pretty much in the same caliber without anyone showing off. Their sound reminds me a lot to that of their fellow English men from the 70's era. Even though they have three players on the keys, but they aren't a keyboard driven band. As typical from Zeuhl bands, the leading force is the drum and bass players so expect excellent rhythm sections through the whole album. Their songs are fairly long all between the 8 to 13 minutes, but they don't drag along or try to bore you. Every song is full of energy and life with catchy yet complex melodies and skillful playing. Also, their sound isn't really "out there" or adventurous at all so it's very melodic, bombastic and accessible even for new comers into the prog genre.

I can't recall any bad moments in the album or any drawbacks at all and it's consistent all the way through. I highly recommend this album for every single prog fan out there specially for fans of the bombastic and pompous side of prog and for those who don't enjoy the Zeuhl genre, this album might possibly change your minds about the genre. I'm too picky with my 5 star albums so I'm going to give it 4.5

Send comments to chamberry (BETA) | Report this review (#108759) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Review by laplace
4 stars Eskaton (or le Eskaton Kommandkestra) were roughly contemporary with Magma so this is a rather late release in terms of the band's development. Contained within is music akin to zeuhl but with more immediate thrills and less build-up. To this reviewer, anticipation and suspense are vital parts of good music and so the potential to be majestic is traded for the likelihood of excitement. That's not always a bad thing by any means - at their best, Eskaton perform daring and compulsive zeuhl-rock, driven by truly propulsive bass-playing (you'll note that every review so far has been understandably enthusiastic about this element of the music) yet this reviewer has always felt there was some small element missing, one that would render the music complete and the album a masterpiece.

Perhaps it is simply the Kobaian mythology that is missing; although Eskaton have strong zeuhl ties and a great name, their music does not feel cosmic and the lyrics are in a relatively mundane language. Together with the aforementioned lack of patient hypnotism that Magma thrived on, these small failings tie Eskaton to planet earth and it's impossible to suspend disbelief.

Don't let my misgivings discourage you (I mark them down for having followed much of Magma's musical lead but not their spirit) because this is a fine album containing some almost-momentous musical ideas.

Send comments to laplace (BETA) | Report this review (#109777) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 30, 2007

5 stars This was my first taste of Zeuhl and from what I understood this would a great place to start as ESKATON decided to sing in French instead of using the Kobaian lyrics in order to be more accessible. I don't think that really matters but I still think that this is a great album to experience Zeuhl with for the first time. This record took a couple of spins just to get used to the dual soprano female vocals but now I really like them.You could describe their vocals as trance like chanting. I can't really tell the two ladies' vocals apart and they often sing together.The music itself is uptempo and energetic with the vocals, bass and drums dominating. Some great synth work as well.

"Eskaton" has a spacey intro as the drums start to build.The uptempo vocals come in as synths and keys are added. Lots of tempo changes as the guitar comes and goes.The first 4 minutes are fabulous and then we get some disturbing vocals (haha). "Attente" opens with the wind blowing and some spacey noises. Drums, vocals and bass come in to create a good beat and sound. Some good aggressive guitar and the drums are prominate later in the song. "Ecoute" has some good outbursts of guitar and the bass is incredible ! The vocal melodies are terrific later in the song as well.

"Pitie" is my favourite song on this album. A spacey intro with synths as keys play. Nice. Reserved vocals come in. The song starts to build in volume with heavy drums and lots of guitar melodies. It all sounds so amazing.The mellow, spacey soundscape comes back from the intro 7 minutes in. "Le Cri" is a mid paced tune with some great bass and drums. The synths 4 minutes are played quite aggressively. The sound becomes quiet with cymbals and bass before the soundscape rebuilds with some more prominant bass, vocals, keys and some intricate drumming.

If you want to try some Zeuhl this really is the perfect place to start. Highly recommended. Well here I am on November 14th, 2011. Hard to believe this was my first Zeuhl album. I remember the vocals were what I had my focus on but over time it's the bass and incredible drumming that blows me away. Love the added synths too. I just got the Soleil Zeuhl re-issue re-mastered by Udi Koomran and it sounds amazing ! The bonus tracks are just as good as the regular album so i'm on happy guy. I've bumped it up to a well deserved five stars.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#119920) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 26, 2007

Review by erik neuteboom
3 stars French band Eskaton (consisting of no less than eight musicains) is an unique musical formation. Often their gigs ended up with discussions between the band members and the audience because Estakon their message is" to call a meeting of minds". The sound is influenced by the seminal fellow Frenchmen Magma (Zeuhl music) but they refused to follow Magma's elitism like cerating an own language: "No esoteric twaddle but music of the people for the people" as I read in the booklet.

This CD contains five tracks, four (between 8 and 14 minutes) are taken from a cassette entitled Four Visions (1979) and the LP Ardeur (1980). The final song is a bonustrack entitled Le Cri, it is from the unreleased album I Care (1985). The bass is unusually dominant (magnificent and very propulsive) in combination with two female vocalists, very special to say the least or more specific "pleasantly hysterical"! The keyboards sound very melodic with a lot of Fender Rhodes piano and spectacular synthesizer play in Le Cri. This intricate prog will not appeal to many progheads but I am sure the Zeuhl fans will appreciate it. By the way, strange to notice that this French band is on a Swedish label, where was Musea?

Send comments to erik neuteboom (BETA) | Report this review (#126719) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 24, 2007

Review by FruMp
5 stars 4 visions is a fantastic and underrated album that got me into Zeuhl, I strayed away from the genre mainly because I was never a big fan of magma - the forerunners of the genre but on a whim I decided to get DUN's Eros album along with 4 visions and it was one of the best musical choices I have ever made.

4 Visions has some serious groove, mainly because of the bass, it's often the focal point of the music and carries it to some amazing places. The drums are just as good if not better, drummer Gérard Konig lays down some seriously jazzy beats, you could really dance to this stuff thanks to this amazing rhythm section (personally I prefer lying in bed at night listening to it) and it quickly becomes apparent.

The fat driving rythmn makes it easy for the melodic components of the music, they often occupy the realm of subtlety but they are extremely relevant and interesting in their own right, the guitar is amazingly competent and there are some great synth and organ moments to be had.

The vocals are an interesting point I was at first a little turned off but the female operatic style vocals (even though they are sung in French and are quite sexy) but in time I grew to like them and eventually stopped really noticing them as a separate entity from anything else in the music, they certainly do fit in.

With music such as this where everything seems to be connected and flowing into one song but if I had to pick a favourite it would be Attente with it's particularly fat bass driven groove although it really needs to be said that every song on 4 visions is a thoughtfully crafted and well executed work.

Overall this is an excellent album and I can't really fault it, I thoroughly enjoy it every time I listen to it (on that note ESKATON's entire catalog is well worth checking out), highly recommended for fans of zeuhl or darker symphonic prog.

Send comments to FruMp (BETA) | Report this review (#139962) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 23, 2007

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars Eskaton is probably regarded as the best Zeuhl band after Magma, and it's haed to deny that they are indeed among the better ones in the style, but if you are to include Art Zoyd, Univers Zero and Present into the ball game, this position is likely to be challenged. The group was named after an old Germanic legend of god's cyclical creation of humankind, and their first album, only ever released in cassette in the 70's, was reputed really rare. Until the mid-90's when the mis-titled Ad Perpetuam Memoriam label (now long defunct) released a Cd version of this album, which has become almost as rare since. Apparently (I have no confirmation of this, but APM had not found the master tapes, so their reissue was taken from a cassette. Graced with a superb artwork and lyrics sheet, Four Visions has yet to receive another legit release (a boot version is out there)

If musically Eskaton is undoubtedly Zeuhl, and their themes are not exactly about the joy of sunbathing (more like bathing in the Sun), the tome of their music is not nearly as oppressive as in Magma's albums. Starting with the eponymous track, the group plunges into a mas world of crazy bass thumps, topped by some of the most bizarre lyrics (just Imagine Gong's Camembert gone French), Eskaton brings a much wider spectrum of mood than Magma's terribly fixed, sombre mythology. Don't get me wrong, Eskaton has its own mythology, but it's more accessible, partly because sung in French (instead of the seldom-used Kobaian) but the music is more moody as well and this group pretends to some real solos from the front instruments, namely Blésing's blazing and fiery guitar. Attente is another 10-minutes epic, which will ravish Zeuhlheads. Both the lengthy Ecoute and the shorter Pitié are again small tour de force where the Fender Rhodes layers help hide and conceal the powers of Eskaton unleashing mayhem with Bernardi's bass sounding like cannonball blasts whizzing by your head. Both Paule and Amara's voices manage to pull their own advantages over a raging background as well as in the quieter moments.

Clearly one of the evident flaws of Four Vision is the lack of real good production, but there is absolutely nothing shameful on the album proper. This is however not the case with the bonus track (from a first session) where it sounds like a really dirty vinyl playing with the stylus needle filled with dust and hair, even stopping at once. And the real sad part is that Le Cri is yet another beautiful moment and the real audible problems occur in a solemn and quieter moment. Whether APM could've done it better in restoring the track is up to the listener, but overall, the album proper is indeed well transcript-ed enough to digital for most Zeuhleads to achieve a least a few Aural orgasms.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#156660) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars 4 Visions is one of those albums that hits the floor running. A heavily pulsating distorted bass guitars and commanding pounding jazz-drums wipe out any doubt about this bands message: "We're here to take Kobaia by storm!"

It took Eskaton 8 years to record their debut and 2 more years to get it released, as a result it sounds very indebted to Magma, but upon closer inspection there are some elements setting it apart from Magma and announcing a tighter and more rocking type of Zeuhl/Avant-Rock, reminding me as much of Magma as of more recent bands such as Guapo, Nebelnest and Nil who gave the heritage of Magma a new breath of life in the 00's.

The basis of the sound borrows heavily from Magma: prominently pounding drums, a frenzied bass attack, 2 piano's, organ, synths, female vocals and tasty guitar accents. There are no trumpets, no male vocals, no violin. Nevertheless it's an impressive orchestra and the best thing is how Eskaton managed to make it sound tight and direct. Eskaton put much more focus on the songwriting and chose to only develop their best ideas instead of throwing in every idea at hand. Of course, words like 'tight', 'direct' are relative things in a Zeuhl context.

The dual soprano vocals are decisively Zeuhl but are more accessible then Magma. I wouldn't say 'catchy', as classic pop formulas don't dare to come anywhere near to this album, but due to the use of French and the slightly more melodic approach, they are certainly more digestible. Again, take 'accessible' and 'digestible' for what they are with regards to Zeuhl

A last note to point out is the spacey atmosphere of this album. The organs, synths and guitar give the music a more psychedelic feel then Magma and turn this album into prog heaven for me. Just imagine, a hybrid of Zeuhl, dark rock and space-rock. On top, each of the tracks has a very distinct character, making for a varied listening experience. There's even some synth work in Le Cri that sounds like Marillion's Mark Kelly joined for a jam. Great work from keyboard player Gilles Rozenberg who shines on all moments that he touches on this album.

Highly recommended, both as an introduction to Zeuhl or as an extension beyond your Magma records.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#283171) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, May 23, 2010

Review by zravkapt
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock Team
5 stars If you are only going to get one Zeuhl album in your life, make it this one. Eskaton was my second exposure to Zeuhl(Magma being the first, obviously), thanks to PA. This album was recorded in 1979 but not released until 1981(on cassette only!). A lost gem that thankfully has gotten more respect as the years have passed. The music here is light years ahead of anything Yes or Genesis were doing between 1978-1981...at least as far as 'prog' goes. If Magma scares you, you might find this more appealing. Listen to the stream of the song "Attente" here on PA; if you don't like that, chances are you will never get into Zeuhl. Eskaton are on the more accesible and rockin' side of Zeuhl, as opposed to the more jazzy and avant end of the genre. This album was recently remastered and re-released. I have yet to hear the new version, but I don't think the older version needed much sonic improvement.

The music on 4 Visions is a mix of hard rock, jazz rock, symphonic rock and electronics. A lot of the time there is an energy and intensity here which rivals some fusion and metal. All the singing is in French and is done by two women. Although slightly operatic at times, there is nothing here as crazy as some of the vocals you will find in Magma or Koenjihyakkei for example. The songs "Eskaton" and "Attente" were re-recorded in different arrangements for the band's second album Ardeur; why I don't know, the versions here are a perfect example of "if it ain't broken, don't fix it". There is a nice blend of keyboards here: electric piano, organ and synthesizers. The bass has a sound that could rip your face off. The drumming and guitar playing never really stands out, but is well played. "Ecoute" and "Pitie" are not quite as good as the first two songs, but they are still great nonetheless. The newest version of the CD has a few bonus songs; I haven't heard these but the version I am familiar with has the song "Le Cri" added. It's a good song but not as good as the four songs on the album.

Unfortunately, Eskaton's next two albums are not as good as 4 Visions is. But as far as prog music in the early '80s goes, there isn't very much that is better! If you can't really get into Magma and are thinking about giving up on Zeuhl, I suggest you listen to this album or Weidorje's only album. Magma may have invented this genre but they are not always the be all, end all of this kind of music. Highly recommended. I just can't give this anything less than 5 stars...it's that good.

Send comments to zravkapt (BETA) | Report this review (#305218) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 18, 2010

Review by colorofmoney91
5 stars 4 Visions by Eskaton is an incredible album. Something that I've always liked about most zeuhl is present in full force on this album: some straight-up funky-jazz bass playing with some nasty grooves. Each of the four tracks on this album flows through multiple of these amazing basslines, usually at high speed. The tone of the bass is even incredible and thick, and stands right out in the mix.

Aside from the great bass, the rest of this album is equally enthralling. Probably one of the most accessible zeuhl albums, 4 Visions features mostly catchy and repetitive melodies with straight forward yet powerful drumming with great energy and power. The experimental synthesizer effects also add a unique element to this band that I don't remember hearing from Magma or Shub-Niggurath. One thing about zeuhl that I've never enjoyed much has been the vocals, because they're usually overbearing with exceptionally headache-inducing vibrato. However, the two female singers on this album sound great, and they actually sound kind of cute. The French language is what I consider to be the most musical of all languages, and French is the language that these vocalists are singing in - think an operatic Edith Piaf. Very beautiful, even if the music backing them is somewhat dark and moody. Actually, it's very dark and moody, but not so much as Shub-Niggurath. 4 Visions is also light on the avant-gardist touches that sometimes make this already eccentric genre seem like "too much, man", if you know what I mean.

This is one of my favorite zeuhl albums, as it's completely captivating. Every single element on this album is 100% theatrical funky awesomeness. When George Clinton brought Parliament- Funkadelic to planet Earth, Eskaton was the band that decided to stay on their home planet.

Very super highly recommended.

Send comments to colorofmoney91 (BETA) | Report this review (#440659) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 29, 2011

Review by Warthur
4 stars A charming and accessible starter album for anyone exploring Zeuhl, Eskaton have the compositional approach of Magma down pat but particularly excel in incorporating synthesisers into the Zeuhl sound - and not just raw Heldon/Richard Pinhas-esque squawks, but rather beautiful and gentle synthesiser lines too. Though they couldn't match the massed choirs of Magma - having only two vocalists - their compositions and performances on 4 Visions are no less powerful than their inspiration's. Recorded before Ardeur but published after, 4 Visions is the true debut of Eskaton, and as others have pointed out is not an unreasonable way to begin exploring the Zeuhl sound, though they do drift dangerously close to being Magma clones at points.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#560569) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 31, 2011

Review by octopus-4
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR RIO/Avant/Zeuhl Team
4 stars Adding a bonus track to an album containing four tracks and entitled "4 visions" means altering its meaning, so even if I have the CD with the bonus tracks, I'll consider the original tracks only.

The band is more than influenced by Magma but probably helped by the absence of brasses they have taken a little different path that can be considered "The bright side of the Zeuhl".

Not an easy album, as most of the Zeuhl albums, but more approachable than Magma themselves, full of jazz passages on which the soprano voice of Amara Tahir sounds like a scat vocalist more than operistic.

The first track is in line with the Magma standards as it's made of several different and not recurring parts with smooth transitions, obsessive drumming and vocal repetitions. A Magma track I'd say if it wasn't for the jazzy mood and the non-kobaian singing. Eskaton is a greek word which means the end of the Creation, the death of the whole Universe.

"Attente"(Careful) follows opened by winds, but instead of Roger Waters' bass on One of this day what follows is one of the darker parts of the album. The first passages of this song are more in line with the Magma style but the French language lightens the atmosphere. The mixture of French and German of the Kobaian is an element that makes the things darker, and Eskaton don't use it. After the first impact, the music becomes easier and if you don't consider the hard drumming the part at around minute 5 has chords very similar to Camel's Lady Fantasy. At minute 6 we are back into classical Zeuhl, anyway so to be able to say that this is a good track for Magma fans.

"Ecoute" is a very particular track. There are vocal parts with a folk flavor, a country-rock tempo behind a dark vocal melody or better, Konig and Bernardi play drums and bass on a standard rock basis which touches several genres, even metal, while the rest of the band is deeply into Zeuhl and this creates an amazing contamination. Classic Zeuhl moments with unusual signatures are present as well, so I can say that what is really impressive on this track is the very good and hard work of the rhythmic section, not that the other instruments and the vocals are bad, of course.

"Pitie'" has a slow and dreamy intro consisting in a subtle keyboard and electric piano. The first 3 minutes are very evocative, far from the obsessive rhythms of Magma but even when the drums are more present the music remains in a quiet environment. The bass makes an impressive work also on this track that I think is the best of the album, and also the last of the original edition.

It's a very good album but I don't hear the "masterpiece" element, probably because I'm just fallen in love with Universal Totem Orchestra. Some time ago I would have rated this album with the maximum. Today for me it's "only" a 4 stars addition.

Send comments to octopus-4 (BETA) | Report this review (#723511) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012

5 stars An exciting, fast paced and complex Zeuhl album which is full of French female vocals that sound very uplifting to my tired and weary ears. This is however, lightweight compared with the mighty and monstrous creators of Zeuhl - 'Magma' who are a far more difficult and heavy listen at the be ... (read more)

Report this review (#589526) | Posted by Dobermensch | Friday, December 16, 2011 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I was only introduced to Zeuhl three years ago (Thanks, ProgArchives!) through the mind-blowing, jaw-dropping, uplifiting, and mesmerizing experience of hearing Magma's Mëkanďk Dëstruktďw Kömmandöh. Such is my reverence and awe of MDK (which I consider one of the three greatest albums ever made) ... (read more)

Report this review (#459418) | Posted by BrufordFreak | Sunday, June 12, 2011 | Review Permanlink

5 stars An underrated album. Thanks to PA, 4 Visions was my first Zeuhl album and I'll never regret that I started my exploration of Zeuhl universe with this and not Magma. This is actually one of the best records I've ever heard so far, Zeuhl or otherwise. Being obviously influenced by Magma*, Eskaton ma ... (read more)

Report this review (#277736) | Posted by Psychedelist | Tuesday, April 13, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars This is one of the albums recommended to all Zeuhl newbies. So I went ahead and bought this album. Easy listening, it ain't. That Dun album is far more accessible than this album. The opening track Eskaton is almost opera with some insane jazz and marching band rhythms thrown in. Zeuhl in ... (read more)

Report this review (#264222) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Thursday, February 04, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Really good surprise from another Zehul band named Eskaton. The sound is very clear. I'm able to recognize here a lost of influences (jazz, electronic or opera) but not in an evident manner and more in a smart and elegant way. From the first moment I was able to listen to this beautiful album I wa ... (read more)

Report this review (#151545) | Posted by petrica | Saturday, November 17, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars One of the best albums of progressive rock of all times! André Bernardi with the bass is incredible of groove. The music of Eskaton, typically Zeult, exceeds in beauty and virtuosity the founder group of the kind (Magma); it pulsates like the c?ur of an untiring athlete and plunges us in a world ... (read more)

Report this review (#30629) | Posted by | Tuesday, February 22, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ESKATON "4 Visions"