Between The Buried And Me - Colors CD (album) cover

Between The Buried And Me

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

Prog Metal Team
4 stars This album is a really huge improvement over everything that I've previously heard from Between The Buried And Me! We already knew that the individual members are talented musicians but this time around they united their efforts and managed to create a new approach in the songwriting department!

The short introduction track Foam Born: The Backtrack gives a hint of everything that is about to happen over the course of the next 60 something minutes. The description of this music is very hard and I would have to name at least 10-15 bands to even go through the basic comparisons. Just listen to this short intro track and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about!

There are of course a few flaws like the transition problems that the band still struggles with almost every time they go into a new section of a composition. On top of that some of the band's influences are way too obvious which sometime restrains me from actually enjoying the material in all its glory. The most extreme example of this is Ants Of The Sky which I'm sure most progressive metal fans would recognize as an attempt to mimic the giants of the genre. This composition could easily have avoided this problem and somehow I get a feeling that this whole setup was intentional.

Despite this slight criticism I still think that the band is trying to do innovating things with this material and it definitely pays off in the long run. Every time I hear the intro to White Walls all the previous flaws feel just like nitpicks in comparison to this flawless composition!

Colors is definitely the right way to go for Between The Buried And Me and although everything is still not top notch here I predict that a true masterpiece is just around the corner.

***** star songs: Foam Born: The Backtrack (2:14) Sun Of Nothing (10:59) White Walls (14:13)

**** star songs: The Decade Of Statues (5:20) Informal Gluttony (6:48) Ants Of The Sky (13:11) Prequel To The Sequel (8:37)

*** star songs: Viridian (2:51)

Rune2000 | 4/5 |