Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery and Imagination - Edgar Allan Poe CD (album) cover

TALES OF MYSTERY AND IMAGINATION - EDGAR ALLAN POE

Alan Parsons Project

Rune2000
Prog Metal Team
3 stars Now that I've covered some of the least impressive collaboration acts in the history of rock, let's talk about one which is probably considered to be one of the household names in the popular music history. After all they were mentioned in an Austin Powers movie!

This first Alan Parsons Project record is the only one that will be remembered as a truly thematic piece of work. Many of the following albums would try to replicate the ideas of this first venture but always end up short in one way or another. This by no means implies that Tales Of Mystery And Imagination is a perfect album. In fact it didn't impress me as much as their sophomore release I Robot but that's because that particular album put the song writing before its concept.

Parsons and Woolfson definitely dived head first into prog-territory when working on the The Fall Of The House Of Usher-suite. Although the composition might not seem all that original by 1976 standards the passion and dedication really shows in the each of the individual pieces. At the same time it actually shows my main concern with this album. There just aren't any real stand-out moments here, on contrary the record has an even flow that non of its successors could achieve. This is what makes it a bit boring by my standards.

Sometimes the most progressive piece of work isn't necessarily a highlight even for prog-fans, but I would definitely recommend to hear this album just for its novelty factor.

**** star songs: A Dream Within A Dream (4:13) The Raven (3:57) The Cask Of Amontillado (4:33) Prelude (7:02) Arrival (2:39) Intermezzo (1:00) Pavane (4:36) Fall (0:51) To One In Paradise (4:46)

*** star songs: The Tell-Tale Heart (4:38) (The System Of) Doctor Tarr And Professor Fether (4:20)

Rune2000 | 3/5 |