Tortoise - Beacons Of Ancestorship CD (album) cover

BEACONS OF ANCESTORSHIP

Tortoise

Post Rock/Math rock

UMUR
3 stars Beacons of Ancestorship is the 7th full-length studio album by American experimental rock act Tortoise. The album is a return to familiar instrumental experimental rock territory after a short excursion into vocal rock territory on The Brave and the Bold (2006) where Tortoise were helped out by Will Oldham.

Tortoise continue to play with and twist the rules of rock music by adding electronic and semi-jazzy elements to their music. The post rock tag that the band have had around their necks since the beginning doesn´t really apply anymore. The 11 tracks on Beacons of Ancestorship are high quality compositions. The musicianship is also on a high level and overall this is a very good release. I´m having a bit of trouble explaining how the music sounds though so the term experimental rock will apply for now. If the drumming had been more jazzy some of the songs could have been mistaken for jazz/ rock. A song like Prepare Your Coffin is a good example of that ( I hear a Santana vibe in that song). High Class Slim Came Floatin' In and Charteroak Foundation which bookend the album are favorites for me. The noisy Yinxianghechengqi is also worth a mention.

Every new release by Tortoise has always progressed their sound and broken new ground and Beacons of Ancestorship is no exception. I enjoy how creative they are and while not all songs on the album egually appeal to me they are undeniably quality material and a 3.5 star rating is well deserved.

UMUR | 3/5 |