Chroma Key - You Go Now  CD (album) cover

YOU GO NOW

Chroma Key

Psychedelic/Space Rock

UMUR
3 stars You Go Now is the 2nd full-length studio album by US experimental/ progressive pop/ rock act Chroma Key. Chroma Key is the brainchild of former Dream Theater keyboard player Kevin Moore. Chroma Key should be counted as his solo project as he plays just about everything except guitar on the album.

The music is relaxed and ambient pop/ rock with a slight experimental/ progressive edge. Lots of programmed sounds and samples ( I love the samples about Apollo 11 in Lunar) on top of programmed drums, synth layers and Kevin Mooreīs almost sedated vocals. His vocals are melancholic and soothing to the ear but the his range is limited and the emotional outcome is rather one-dimensional. I really enjoy this album on occasion but I have to be in the right mood to enjoy music this relaxed. There are not enough melodic hooks here IMO which is a bit of a shame because when those hooks appear the music really reaches a higher level. Fortunately the 39:17 playing time is just perfect, and I donīt reach a point where my mind drifts which could easily have happened had the album been a bit longer.

The production is professional and suits the music well. The drum sound doesnīt always appeal to me though. Itīs a bit anonymous and lacks warmth.

You Go Now doesnīt exactly make my blood boil but itīs a very good album and if Iīm in the mood for some relaxed and ambient pop/ rock this album more than applies. Most of the time the album ends up as pleasant background music though but itīs possible to listen to the album and get a bit more out of it than that. A 3 star rating is warranted.

UMUR | 3/5 |