Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse Of Reason CD (album) cover

A MOMENTARY LAPSE OF REASON

Pink Floyd

Psychedelic/Space Rock

arcane-beautiful
4 stars After Pink Floyd died at the start of the eightiest, after Roger Waters became a god in his own head, Dave Gilmour, with the other 2 members attempted to reform the ashes of this great band.

Alot of people don't like this album, but I liked it. Some people may criticise it for not sounding like Pink Floyd, but I see it as an almost Marillion like fashion, were if you didn't like their new stuff, you're probabbly a fan of their older stuff. I liked both Marillions, so I could see the angle Floyd were going for.

The album has a more spacey and free sound than their earlier stuff. Roger also criticised this album, saying that the songs were weak and the lyrics were poor, but I thought the lyrics were quite good and very descriptive.

1. Signs Of Life - A great intro, very effective and atmospheric. Some great orchestration and synths.

2. Learning To Fly - A very cathcy song. Dave's vocals are very calm and soothing and the choir in the chorus is very effective.Some great guitar work in this song.

3. The Dogs Of War - I love the post apocalyptic blues mood this song has, very different.

4. One Slip - This song has a very good chorus. Underlooked in my opinion.

5. On The Turning Away - Some great lyrics in the song. Some great instrumental sections.

6. Yet Another Movie/Round & Around - A great build up to the song. Very effective. After the first part is over, there is a great instrumental.

7. A New Machine Part 1 - Love the synth vocals and the echo of the voices.

8. Terminal Frost - Great insrumental. Very spacy and eccentric.

9. A New Machine Part 2 - More synth vocals.

10. Sorrow - A very underlooked song (although, it was on Echoes.) This song is very calming and Dave's vocals give it a dark tone. Amazing.

CONCLUSION: Very underlooked. If you are a big fan of Pink Floyd, then mabye this isn't the thing for you.

arcane-beautiful | 4/5 |