The Decemberists - The Hazards of Love CD (album) cover

THE HAZARDS OF LOVE

The Decemberists

Prog Folk

akajazzman
5 stars One of the best albums of the 2009. Certainly in my top 10 Prog/Non Prog albums. When it comes to modern Prog, this is the one of the hippest, most well known of all the bands (outside of Radiohead or Tool). And the only Prog'ish band ?-- that a young shy alt.rocker would know. They started as your typical Smiths/Replacements/REM/Pixies influenced indie rock band, but have evolved into near classic modern Prog band. Like an updated Strawbs or Jethro Tull. I love that there's a band like this that might turn some Death Cab For Cutie fan onto Prog.

I also love that there's an "alternative" wing of the current Prog movement to the standard Prog- Metal/Dream Theater derived sound that frankly is boring me to death. Don't get me wrong, I like a couple Dream Theater style albums, but its near domination of Prog is a little much.

Anyway, "The Hazards of Love" is a modern classic!

akajazzman | 5/5 |