Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon CD (album) cover

Pink Floyd

Psychedelic/Space Rock

5 stars I war horsed out on this thing ages ago. But then these last few years I pulled it out again in 2004 and have been playing it a lot since then. Playing it now, clearly, with time washing away the baggage that came with this album I realize it's a masterpiece. Remember as kids in the 70s this was considered a "stoner" album. In retrospect I really hate that this got lumped in with "that". From what I read, the band was no more into drugs than all the other bands (probably less so on average), so why did this great trippy/spacey music have to be lumped as stoner rock that you only "got" when you were high? Also, the whole Wizard of Oz thing is just a big fat joke. Not true, the movements that match up are pure coincidence.

Anyway, this is possibly their most brilliant work, although I do like some of the later albums even more, if only because the band seems even more comfortable in executing the visions for Wish and Wall. But heck, Floyd's my favorite band. And that said, I would agree with Mojo magazine that voted this the greatest Prog album of All Time.

akajazzman | 5/5 |