I.E.M. - Arcadia Son CD (album) cover

ARCADIA SON

I.E.M.

Psychedelic/Space Rock

Mellotron Storm
4 stars IEM is of course a Steven Wilson project where he can explore his love for Krautrock and Psychedelic music. "Arcadia Son" was released in 2001 and features four longish tracks along with four short pieces. I must say the longer tunes are so amazing, I mean we're talking my kind of music, while the short ones I could do without. Oh well the short ones range from 25 seconds to a minute and 24 seconds so no big deal right ?

"Wreck" is the longest (and my favourite) of the short tunes and consists of chaotic sounds including horns and percussion. "Beth Krashky" is 25 seconds of Beth telling us she's a rocker and got a drum stick at an Ozzy concert. "We Are Not Alone" is very psychedelic as these mono-tone vocals speak over top. Flute joins in early. I like when the drums, bass and flute lead 4 1/2 minutes in.It turns spacey after 6 minutes. Great tune ! "Circadian Haze" opens with the birds singing as percussion builds and flute joins in. The birds are still chirping then the bass joins in. Great sound. Spacey synths before 4 minutes. Nice. Flute, synths and birds end it.

"Politician" is a short piece where we hear this woman making love with music playing in the background. "Arcadia Son" sounds so good when the drums come in before a minute with bass as the flute and synths continue. It stops 4 minutes in then this distorted guitar takes over loudly then continues with drums in tow. The guitar stops as the flute returns. "Shadow of A Twisted Hand Across My House" is the over 20 minute epic. It opens with these frequency-like sounds as mellotron rolls in then drums. Dissonant sax after 3 minutes. It stops as the drums become the focus. Synths before 7 minutes as choas follows. A calm after 8 minutes as it turns spacey. Mellotron 12 minutes in. TANGERINE DREAM-like 16 1/2 minutes to the end. What a song ! "Goldilocks Age IV" is a child telling that story for just over a minute. Cute.

Nothing less than 4 stars will do. I really like the way he impliments flute on this album, it sounds so much like some of my favourite Krautrock music.

Mellotron Storm | 4/5 |