ARCADIA SON

Studio Album, released in 2001

SIDE A
1. Wreck (1:25)
2. Beth Krasky (0:26)
3. We Are Not Alone (7:28)
4. Cicadian Haze (6:11)
5. Politician (1:08)
6. Arcadia Son (7:48)

SIDE B
7. Shadow of a Twisted Hand Across My House (20:20)
8. Goldilocks Age 4 (1:10)

1) Vinyl edition limited to 500 copies - CD version issued Dec 2001.
2) All music performed and projected by the IEM 1999-2000 except "Goldilocks Age 4" 1972.

Search I.E.M. Arcadia Son lyrics

Search I.E.M. Arcadia Son tabs

- Steven Wilson / all Instruments

Gates of Dawn LP - GOD006 / Headphone Dust CD - IEM02

I.E.M. MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy I.E.M. Arcadia Son Music

More places to buy I.E.M. music online Buy I.E.M. & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for I.E.M. DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

I.E.M. Arcadia Son ratings distribution

I.E.M. Arcadia Son reviews

Review by loserboy
5 stars IEM is Steven WILSON's (PORCUPINE TREE) solo project who continues his exploration into the arcane spaceyness of our deepest dreams. "Arcadia Son" is the second CD released under the title of I.E.M which takes the space of the debut album and takes us even deeper into the nebula. "Arcadia Son" is an eccentric mix of strange samples, speech, krautrock, jazz, space rock and psychedelia genres with some pretty trippy grooves. For those expecting something in the PORCUPINE TREE or NO-MAN or BASS COMMUNION theatre please note IEM is a very different beast. IEM is Steve WILSON's chance to really explore unique material and release something 100% his own. This is one of those ultimate headphone experience albums with some pretty lush sounds and atmospheres. On track 4, "Cicadian Haze",WILSON combines tribal bongos with flute and Rainforest sounds to create a highly ethereal song which also happens to be one of my personal favorites on the album. (Not unlike Edgar FROESE did on "Epsilon In Malaysian Pale"). Title track "Arcadia Son" reminds me very much of a psych'd out instrumental PORCUPINE TREE number. Epic track titled "Shadow of a Twisted Hand Across My House" clocks in at just over 20 Mins and would make a wonderful Horror movie soundtrack. If Blair Witch had this tune as its soundtrack, the world would still be sitting in the theatres ! 100% Self Indulgent music and 100% awesome !

Send comments to loserboy (BETA) | Report this review (#29510) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 10, 2004

Review by progrules
2 stars This is one of those albums where you will have to conclude if one reviewer gives it 5 stars and the other 2 that the truth is not somewhere in the middle but it's more of an either love or hate case. Because this is an album of extremes and then you get ratings like this.

This music must be coming from some dark corner of Steve Wilson's musical brain. Don't get me wrong, I think the man is a genius and I've always said that. But this must be just about the limit where someone of his calibar can get to. If you expect anything that has something to do with normal or melodic music: forget it ! Why I bought it ? This was because of the stream track Arcadia Son (to my surprise I see this track is no longer there, 2 others took its place) which sounded really acceptable to me. It wasn't even that far from style companions as HIDRIA SPACEFOLK and KINGSTON WALL and I quite like those bands. I also like psychedelic/space by Ozric Tentacles but it appeared that after listening the entire album this is a totally different ball game. You could call this extreme psychedelic or something because in my opnion it doesn't get weirder than this. The M (I.E.M.) that stands for Mind[%*!#] is really suitable here.

Arcadia Son was in the end the only track that came close to normal music but the rest: well, see (or listen) for yourself, because after all, this is only my opinion and I'm just a simple neo/metal progger who is just a little bit sorry he went for this one. Summarizing I would say: 5 stars for originality and 1 star for musical/melodic aspects. But I don't doubt there could be many who really favour this one. So I will leave it totally up to you. 2 stars for my taste (the extra star for guts).

Send comments to progrules (BETA) | Report this review (#160995) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, February 06, 2008

4 stars IEM is of course a Steven Wilson project where he can explore his love for Krautrock and Psychedelic music. "Arcadia Son" was released in 2001 and features four longish tracks along with four short pieces. I must say the longer tunes are so amazing, I mean we're talking my kind of music, while the short ones I could do without. Oh well the short ones range from 25 seconds to a minute and 24 seconds so no big deal right ?

"Wreck" is the longest (and my favourite) of the short tunes and consists of chaotic sounds including horns and percussion. "Beth Krashky" is 25 seconds of Beth telling us she's a rocker and got a drum stick at an Ozzy concert. "We Are Not Alone" is very psychedelic as these mono-tone vocals speak over top. Flute joins in early. I like when the drums, bass and flute lead 4 1/2 minutes in.It turns spacey after 6 minutes. Great tune ! "Circadian Haze" opens with the birds singing as percussion builds and flute joins in. The birds are still chirping then the bass joins in. Great sound. Spacey synths before 4 minutes. Nice. Flute, synths and birds end it.

"Politician" is a short piece where we hear this woman making love with music playing in the background. "Arcadia Son" sounds so good when the drums come in before a minute with bass as the flute and synths continue. It stops 4 minutes in then this distorted guitar takes over loudly then continues with drums in tow. The guitar stops as the flute returns. "Shadow of A Twisted Hand Across My House" is the over 20 minute epic. It opens with these frequency-like sounds as mellotron rolls in then drums. Dissonant sax after 3 minutes. It stops as the drums become the focus. Synths before 7 minutes as choas follows. A calm after 8 minutes as it turns spacey. Mellotron 12 minutes in. TANGERINE DREAM-like 16 1/2 minutes to the end. What a song ! "Goldilocks Age IV" is a child telling that story for just over a minute. Cute.

Nothing less than 4 stars will do. I really like the way he impliments flute on this album, it sounds so much like some of my favourite Krautrock music.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#276651) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars I.E.M. served as a creative outlet for Steve Wilson's passion for kraut, space-rock and progressive electronic. Arcadia Son was released in 2001 and was the second full length I.E.M. album. It takes a different approach on kraut compared to the first album, which was a more upbeat rocking album full of Neu! adoration.

Judging from Arcadia Son, it looks like Wilson reserved Porcupine Tree to rock out and I.E.M. to explore more minimal and ambient realms. The result is decisively less catchy but all the more evocative and engaging. The best parts of the album really bring back the spirit of the first years of kraut-psych and electronic music.

We Are Not Alone is a great cosmic kraut fusion track. Free-jazz drums, fretless bass and lots of psychedelic flute samples. The silly "We Are No Alone" high and low-pitched vocal rant suits the occasion perfectly. Great alien atmosphere.

Cicadian Haze is another authentic kraut piece, very Popol Vuh with the oriental percussion and snake-charm flutes. Spacey mellotron joins at the end.

Arcadia Son brings us back to Tangerine Dream's Alpha Centauri, with celestial electronic effects and those crazed flutes again. A slowly pounding drum groove adds that extra bit of accessibility that makes I.E.M. so strong and relevant. This is not just a faithful reproduction of kraut rock. Instead it captures the creative spirit and mind-expanding sound of it but places it in a modern context, adding better production values and eschewing the indulgent sides of it.

Shadow of A Twisted Hand is the masterpiece here. It consists of 3 parts. The first has an electronically processed rock beat with psychedelic saxophone soloing and rising mellotrons. The middle part retreats to the alienated outskirts of the galaxy, joining Schulze's Cyborg and Tangerine Dream's Zeit with synthesised choirs and electronic effects. It gradually adds a sequenced part that measures up to the most captivating moments of Schulze's 70's discography.

There are some perplexing moments of beauty on this excellent release. I.E.M. only released 3 albums but each of them only adds more argument to call Wilson a real creative genius. The I.E.M. albums have been out of print for a while but are currently re-issued as a beautiful boxset that comes highly recommended from this reviewer.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#286621) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 15, 2010

2 stars I am one; of the thousands of prog-audiophiles that greet Steven Wilsons´s arrival to the progressive scene. No one has done so much in so little time; for the new-next prog generation. I will accept that as a fact. And he also has touched lots of grounds within the same scene. His different orie ... (read more)

Report this review (#986518) | Posted by admireArt | Wednesday, June 26, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Steven Wilson's musical persona is said by some to be divided between his vast array of projects (more than 8, if you count Continuum and Storm Corrosion), but it is actually the equivalent of having eight musicians into a single body. All his projects, many of them being worked upon simultane ... (read more)

Report this review (#560231) | Posted by Juan.Pablo.Gonzalez | Sunday, October 30, 2011 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of I.E.M. "Arcadia Son"