Gryphon - Glastonbury Carol CD (album) cover

Prog Folk

4 stars This album or rather BBC session (minus the "LOST" track) is very stylized renaissance music and seems like it would have a limited appeal to most prog fans, but it is definitely one of the most interesting albums I've ever listened and would appeal to any adventurous prog listener. The tracks range from all out renaissance ones to ones that could fit quite well on a Gentle Giant type album. The musicianship is extraordinary, complex, but melodic. The song structure is different than most "modern" song structures and these guys must have studied renaissance song structures because they did a great job playing in that style. The acoustic guitar work is absolutely fantastic and would appeal to any guitar fan. The recorder work is also amazing, and the interplay between the recorder and bassoon is very pleasant. The bassoon and horn lines often take the role as bass and it creates a very interesting sound. I've never listened to renaissance music before but I would think it would be quite simple, restricted, and non-proggish. Gryphon's music is the exact opposite and I think if they traveled back to the renaissance they would be considered masters of the art. The song structures are very complicated. The Midnight Mushrumps uses some really cool organs and is very classical. I would give this album a 5 star rating for its creativity, virtuosity, and complexity as well as its beauty but I have to admit that it does have limited appeal. It is definitely a masterpiece of music but whether its "prog" or not is your judgment.
| 4/5 |