Chroma Key - You Go Now  CD (album) cover

Chroma Key

Psychedelic/Space Rock

Bonnek
Prog Metal Team
3 stars After the surprising Dead Air for Radios, Chroma Key's second album continued in the same style and sound. It's not that I was hoping for a style change, but the song quality suffers a bit from too much sameness, mainly due to the static mood of the pieces.

The album takes a tremendous start though, Get Back In The Car is such a pure and touching piece of melancholic trip rock that instantly sets me into 5 star mode. Moore is brilliant in mixing space rock, post rock, soft jazz and electro into his own unique type of lounge prog, for lack of a better name. Another Permanent Address is very similar but less compelling. Also Astronaut Down dwells in the same space and with a much better result. Great song.

More nice surprises come from two very atmospheric tracks. Nice To Know and the instrumental Lunar. Also When You Drive melts the trip hop of Massive Attack into deliciously lazy soft jazz. The remaining tracks, Subway, Please Hang Up and You Go Now don't do much for me.

I think that a greater diversity in mood and some progression from the previous album might have made for a more inspiring listen. On this album I miss the sweat of an artist challenging himself. Nevertheless, it's a good album with many strong tracks.

Bonnek | 3/5 |