Circa Survive - On Letting Go CD (album) cover

Circa Survive

4 stars I never thought of circa survive as a prog band but they have none the less a beautiful and creative sound. It's a genre that have been explored before but with a different perspective. Some sort of punkish indie band with sleazier guitar riffs with often some delay effect in them. It's very melodic, having different instrument tracks to make one whole riff not just all guitars and bass playing practically the same thing. I hear a different part every time I listen to the album. Plus the singer has a high pitch voice that can't be mistaken with another. The atmosphere is very emotional and seems to expand so much it makes some sort of wall of sound comparable to some post-rock bands. Having all that they are still able to make catchy tunes and melodies and that's what is wonderful about them.

The first track "Living Together" is a great opening to the album since it demonstrates what they are all about. Some parts are energetic and distorted and others more clean and calm. You can hear the different tracks I was talking about above.

Most of the tracks stand on their own having that special thing but some of them just pass by but are still really good. The first songs are the best and gets you hooked to the music and you let yourself go flowing through the last songs which are the ones that are less "hooking". That's why I only gave the album 4 stars.

OceanTree | 4/5 |