Karnivool - Themata CD (album) cover

Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams
2 stars Then the title track of this album, Themata, kept coming up on one of my Pandora stations, I enjoyed the song enough that I went looking for the album. When I received the album, I found that the exotic flavor of this song was not indicative of the whole, or even very much of the album. Only Synops has a similar feel, and it is nowhere near as good a song.

Most of this album is alternative metal, with wailing, slightly whiny vocals that make most alternative pretty much unlistenable to me. There are some proggy moments, mostly in the rhythms, and the guitarists on this album are both adequate. But despite the rhythmic interplay, the songs throughout the album just don't hold my interest.

2.5 stars