Karnivool - Themata CD (album) cover

THEMATA

Karnivool

Sacrilege
3 stars I'm slightly amazed they put this album on here... Of course coming from Australia I always thought it bordered on the proggish side, and thought it would be cool to see it on progarchives, but I marked out a little bit when I saw another review for this band on here.

"Themata" is the debut album from Karnivool, coming after the more angsty "Persona" and before the more experimental side of "Sound Awake."

Basically this album is just straight up metal, with a slight flavour to it. This flavour can either turn you off or on (many of the people I've shown it to have been turned on) to their style, is the heavier and more experimental of Ian Kenny's vocal-driven bands (the other being rock band "Birds Of Tokyo")

Unfortunately though, this album is no "Close to The Edge" and I place it in the higher mid-table of my favourite prog albums. There are some amazing songs like COTE, THEMATA and LIFELIKE, a few goodish ones: SHUTTERSPEED, CHANGE and ROQUEFORT and the rest is pretty much filler.

I recommend this album to people into the more straight up version of prog like Muse, Late Porcupine Tree and Late Anathema. It's a good album as an everyday album and adds something new to the Australian music scene, but as a prog album I can see it lacking.

Sacrilege | 3/5 |