Genesis - A Trick of the Tail CD (album) cover

4.27 | 1989 ratings

3 stars This was the time period that I started listening to Genesis. Fortunately for me, I bought their older music first. That is why I got this one also. I did enjoy it, but I was sorry they didn't have that extra kick that Gabriel gave to the songs. Anyway, the fire still seemed to be there and I wanted to keep listening to them.

"Dance on a Volcano" is cool as far as the as the beat goes. They definitely have some good music to listen to.

I happened to catch the video of "Robbery, Assault, and Battery" and it was pretty cool seeing a band like Genesis perform their budding hit on the little screen. This is a good tune and I still sing it a lot.

I happened to hear Annie Haslem sing "Ripples" and I realized how beautiful the tune really is. I think I like her version better, but it is a class tune no matter who does it.

The last standout is "Los Endos" which restates some of the rest of the album's themes. It is Hackett dominated, which I loved to no end.

This album is somewhat proggy, but not like their earlier stuff. They stay too long on some things, but the fan and the novice will find more than a few enjoyable ideas within the confines of this release. I will give it 3 stars, because I think it is good, but it is definitely non essential.

Keetian | 3/5 |