Yes - Symphonic Live (DVD) CD (album) cover

5 stars One of Yes's best live releases and better than any other "attempts" by other bands to tour with a symphony orchestra.

I think I speak for us all when I say that the real gems here are the epics. 'CTTE', 'Gates...' and specifically 'Ritual', work EXTREMELY well with the orchestra, sounding fuller and brighter than ever, yet you can still hear the band. The set list overall, seems to be perfect. Exactly perfect. For me anyway. Loads of great songs are there, all the classics, plus some rarely played material as well.

Temporary keyboard player Tom Brislin is faultless, blending the respectful note-for-note solos of Wakeman and Moraz with his own energetic styles. Alan, Chris and Steve have played better but are also very energetic, no complaints there. Jon is wonderful as usual, leading the songs with his angelic voice, and occassionally dabbling in incidental percussion, acoustic guitar and keyboards. The orchestra deliver everything a Yes song could ask for plus more, and even keep up in the frantic battle section of 'Gates...'. Amsterdam is well filmed and lit. It's colourful and clear with only a few annoying shots (during 'Don't Go' for example). And the sound seems to be well mixed.

Watch this in surround sound for the ultimate symphonic prog experience.

thehallway | 5/5 |