SYMPHONIC LIVE (DVD)

- Steve Howe / guitars, vocals

Guest:
- Tom Brislin / keyboards

Eagle Records Cat. No.: EREDV252

and to SouthSideoftheSky for the last updates

YES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy YES Symphonic Live (DVD) Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
FragileFragile
Rhino/Elektra 2003
Fly From HereFly From Here
Deluxe Edition
Frontiers Records 2011
HOUSE OF YES Live from THE HOUSE OF BLUES LIVE D-VHS D-THEATER HI-DEF NM US $16.95 [0 bids]
40m 12s
BILL HARLEY - YES TO RUNNING: BILL HARLEY LIVE [REGION FREE] NEW DVD US $15.37 Buy It Now 1h 6m
DR. YES The HYANNIS AFFAIR VHS BRITT EKLAND JACK MESSINGER Unrated US $39.98 Buy It Now 1h 25m
House of Yes: Live at the House of Blue (DVD, 2004) US $7.00 [0 bids]
Yes House Of Yes Live From House of Blues DVD US $3.73 Buy It Now 2h 26m
Yes Man blue ray and digital copy US $3.50 Buy It Now 2h 36m
Yes Man (DVD, 2009) - WIDESCREEN & FULLSCREEN-LIKE NEW US $2.95 [0 bids]
The Yes Men (DVD, 2005) US $1.00 Buy It Now 3h 21m
No Way yes Way Joyce Meyer DVD Living with determination joy courage God Bible US $14.99 [0 bids]
The Yes Men DVD NEW Sealed US $3.99 Buy It Now 3h 40m
Say Yes VHS Jonathan Winters OOP, HTF, Rare Comedy US $2.00 Buy It Now 3h 51m
Yes You Can! [DVD New] US $14.95 Buy It Now 4h 11m
NBC News Presents: Yes We Can! - The Barack Obama Story [DVD New] US $7.42 Buy It Now 4h 13m
Yes: Classic Artists [DVD New] US $13.18 Buy It Now 4h 16m
Jim Carrey Triple Yes Man+Dumb And Dumber+Ace Ventura Pet Detective Reg2 New DVD US $22.37 Buy It Now 5h 3m
Yes: Owner of a Lonely Heart - Live in Concert (DVD, 2014) US $9.99 [0 bids]
NBC News Presents: Yes We Can! - The Barack Obama Story DVD US $5.67 Buy It Now 5h 23m
Bill Harley Yes To Running: Bill Harley Live DVD US $15.39 Buy It Now 5h 23m
Yes You Can! DVD US $11.96 Buy It Now 5h 23m
DVD USED YES MAN JIM CARREY US $3.99 Buy It Now 5h 35m
Yes - Live at Montreux 2003 (Blu-ray Disc, 2008) US $9.95 [0 bids]
Legends of Rock / Yes Years A Retrospective laserdisc 2-disc set - RARE US $6.99 [0 bids]
The Yes Men (DVD, 2005) US $5.98 Buy It Now 5h 43m
Yes - Live at Montreux 2003 (DVD, 2007) US $5.99 Buy It Now 5h 51m
YES MAN Blu-ray Disc 2009 Jim Carrey US $7.85 [0 bids]
YES - Yes Acoustic - Guaranteed No Hiss - 70's prog rock - NEW MUSIC DVD US $9.29 Buy It Now 7h 4m
Yes Man (Blu-ray Disc, 2009) US $2.99 Buy It Now 7h 23m
Yes Sir, Sorry Sir! ???SIR?? Complete Series DVD (TVB Hong Kong Drama) US $44.99 Buy It Now 7h 59m
Yes Man (DVD, 2009) US $0.99 [0 bids]
GET SMART/YES MAN - NEW BLU-RAY BOXSET US $11.67 Buy It Now 16h 27m
Yes - Symphonic Live (DVD+CD) PAL - Jon Anderson Prog Rock US $7.99 [0 bids]
Yes - Keys To Ascension (DVD) PAL - Jon Anderson Genesis Prog Rock US $7.99 [0 bids]
Yes, Virginia 2010 DVD Video Based On A True Story Retail: $9.99 US $0.99 [0 bids]
Yes Man (DVD, 2009) US $2.99 [0 bids]
Yes Virginia, There is a Santa Claus Video VHS VGC RARE US $5.00 Buy It Now 19h 20m
"GREATEST VIDEO HITS" YES VHS VG+ US $4.49 Buy It Now 19h 35m
Yes Man (Blu-ray Disc, 2009) US $3.00 [0 bids]
Yes Man (DVD, 2009, Special Edition) US $5.97 Buy It Now 22h 23m
2 x DVD Yes - Soon Live (Manufactured, Rare Brazil Edition) US $32.99 [0 bids]
Yes Man (DVD, 2009) US $3.50 Buy It Now 23h 21m
(5) Jim Carrey DVD Movies: Yes Man Man On the Moon Batman Forever Bruce Almighty US $10.95 Buy It Now 23h 42m
(6) Jim Carrey DVD Movies: Yes Man The Cable Guy The Number 23 Bruce Almighty US $12.95 Buy It Now 23h 56m
YES MAN- DVD: JIM CARREY US $3.50 Buy It Now 23h 59m
Yes Man (DVD, 2009) - Like New! US $3.00 [0 bids]
The House of Yes (DVD, 1999) US $16.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Yes Man (DVD, 2009) US $3.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Yes, Virginia (DVD, 2010) US $2.79 Buy It Now 1 day
Bob the Builder: Yes We Can! / Can We Fix It? (DVD 2 disc set) NEW US $15.37 Buy It Now 1 day
Yes Man (DVD, 2009) jim carrey US $3.50 [0 bids]
Yes Live in Philadelphia 1979 DVD US $5.50 [0 bids]
Yes Man [WS/P&S] (2009, DVD New) WS/FS US $3.15 Buy It Now 1 day
Yes Man [WS] [Special Edition] [Includes Digital (2009, Blu-ray New) BLU-RAY/WS US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Yes, Prime Minister: The Complete Collection [3 Disc (2005, DVD New) CLR/CC/Snap US $32.97 Buy It Now 1 day
Yes Minister: The Complete Collection [4 Discs] (2005, DVD New) US $47.41 Buy It Now 1 day
Get Smart (2008) /Yes Man (2013, Blu-ray New) BLU-RAY/WS US $8.25 Buy It Now 1 day
LOT 3 *** Yes Minister - (VHS) 4 1980 BBC classic sitcom US $0.99 [0 bids]
Yes Man (DVD, 2009) US $2.99 [0 bids]
Yes Man (DVD, 2009) US $5.00 [0 bids]
Yes Man (Blu-ray Disc, 2009) US $7.29 [0 bids]
Bob The Builder , Yes We Can (2004) US $0.50 [0 bids]
Yes - Keys To Ascension DVD Jon Anderson Chris Squire Steve Howe Rick Wakeman ! US $16.38 Buy It Now 1 day
The Yes Men Fix the World (DVD, 2010), DVD ONLY, (Acc), +Free S/H Rates US $0.99 [0 bids]
Yes Nurse! No Nurse! (DVD, 2005) RARE AND OOP US $9.59 Buy It Now 1 day
Yes, Minister TV Show Lot of 9 Audio Cassettes Nigel Hawthorne Paul Eddington US $0.99 [0 bids]
Yes Man, Very Good DVD, Terence Stamp, John Michael Higgins, Zooey Deschanel, Ji US $4.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Morning Musume DVD Egao YES Nude w/obi photo card NEW US $0.99 [1 bids]
Yes Man - Blu-Ray Region B Brand New US $17.74 Buy It Now 1 day
Yes Man (DVD, 2009) US $1.99 [0 bids]
New! (2) VHS Lot "JUST SAY YES Vol. 1+2" Sire Morrissey/Ministry/Betty Boo/Ice-T US $28.88 Buy It Now 1 day
Complete YES MINISTER 1 2 & 3 YES PRIME MINISTER 1 & 2 US $61.61 Buy It Now 1 day
RARE VHS - *YES: Greatest Video Hits* [G] {1991} Music US $18.22 Buy It Now 1 day
Yes Man DVD 2009 ? Comedy ? Jim Carrey ? TOP BOX OFFICE FILM ? US $8.36 Buy It Now 1 day
Yes Minister Series One, DVD Excellent Condition - R4 US $11.21 [0 bids]
Yes Prime Minister BBC Region 2 Complete Collection (DVD) Genuine UK Set US $12.00 [0 bids]
BBC Yes, Minister Complete Collection (DVD) Region 2 -Genuine UK Set US $15.00 [0 bids]
AsiA in Asia VHS John Wetton Geoff Downes Steve Howe Greg Lake YES ELP Buggles US $9.49 Buy It Now 1 day
Go for No the Movie: Yes is the Destination No is How.. US $29.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Yes Man (DVD, 2009) US $0.99 [0 bids]
House of Yes - Live from House of Blues (DVD, 2000) US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Bob the Builder - Yes We Can! (DVD, 2005) US $1.00 [0 bids]
DVD Lot, Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, Napoleon Dynamite, Shallow Hal, Yes Man US $16.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Yes Man (DVD, 2009) US $5.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Yes Man (DVD, 2009) Jim Carrey US $0.99 [1 bids]
YES BOSS (SHAHRUKH KHAN, JUHI CHAWLA) - BOLLYWOOD HINDI DVD US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
YES-YESSONGS JAPAN US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Yes Man DVD Jim Carrey Special Edition US $1.79 Buy It Now 1 day
YES New Sealed 2014 LONELY HEART: BEST OF THE LIVE PERFORMANCES DVD US $18.99 Buy It Now 1 day
STEVE HOWE of YES & ASIA New Sealed 2014 LIVE CONCERT & MORE DVD US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Yes Man (Blu-ray Disc, 2009) US $5.98 [0 bids]
YES - Acoustic DVD with slipcase US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Rick Wakeman - Classic Rock Legends/new dvd/YES US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Dragon Tales - Yes, We Can! (DVD, 2002) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Yes - The Director's Cut (DVD, 2008, 2-Disc Set) US $15.05 Buy It Now 1 day
Say Yes Enterprise ????? Taiwan Drama US $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
NEW Yes - Live at Montreux 2003 (DVD, 2007) US $10.99 Buy It Now 1 day
YES MAN new blu-ray JIM CARREY ZOOEY DESCHANEL BRADLEY COOPER TERENCE STAMP US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy YES music online Buy YES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for YES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ROGER DEAN & PROGARCHIVES.com Partnership : Put a genuine Dean on your desktop

YES Symphonic Live (DVD) ratings distribution

YES Symphonic Live (DVD) reviews

Review by Gatot
5 stars True Masterpiece Prog Rock Concert of all time .!!

Wow! What a dream comes true .. !!! I had long imagined that one day YES would do a recording session with a symphonic orchestra. That was my dream when I first listened to Rick Wakeman's "Journey to The Center of The Earth" - the album that amazed me especially on how Rick did a wild idea to release an a recorded live album without releasing the studio version first! Of course, it's not the case with YES here because this show cast is basically the live performance with a symphonic orchestra: European Festival Orchestra. Actually, I was already happy with an album titled "Symphonic Music of YES" but . this live DVD set is much much grandiose and colossal, I would say. What really impress me also is the fact that the band members do not seem nervous or whatsoever blending their classic hits with a full blown symphonic orchestra. They just perform as they perform without any orchestra. That proves how senior these guys from YES are.

Let me tell you my first impression when I spin the DVD at the very first time where there was a Roger Dean's bridge at my large screen: I was totally stunned! Then the orchestra starts under the title "Overture" that is destined to be an atmosphere setter for the whole show, I guess. Don's expect that this is a sort of "Firebird Suite" usually appear during the opening of Yes concert where typically was continued with "Siberian Khatru" or "Parallels". This time, it's completely new orchestration work. When it is done it flows seamlessly with the legendary epic of the band "Close To The Edge". Oh my God! I never imagined that I would be as stunned as this time (whenever I watch this DVD). Chris Squire does his live acts wonderfully on stage - I really like his style. Musically, I feel that the whole track has been totally powered with full strings of symphonic orchestra. If you are Yes fan, I'm sure that you will definitely agree with me that this opening epic is damn wonderful! I like the use of timpani in critical transitions or break to enrich the textures of Yes music.

Having done with the great "Close To The Edge", the symphonic orchestra does another nice symphony to set the atmosphere for the next track "Long Distance Runaround". Well, I have to be honest that I feel like "disjointed" enjoying the end of orchestra with Steve's guitar fills to begin this tune. But it's immaterial compared to the excellent performance of the band. Next is the band's performance with their latest album "Magnification" through two excellent tracks " Don't Go" and "In the Presence Of". Alan White plays some keyboard at the intro part of "In The Presence Of". Musically, I love the compositions of "In The Presence Of" as it melody flows dynamically throughout the track and I like the ending part - so catchy.

For me personally, "Gates of Delirium" is the best of best tracks from YES. And I'm lucky that the band brings this track alive with symphonic orchestra! Yeaaahhh ...!!!! Before it starts, Jon does some conversation that stresses the no need of war. The opening part is fantastic - especially when I observe how Alan White plays his drum set; it's very dynamic and he plays it energetically. The keyboard that sounds like "boiling water" with Patrick Moraz studio version is disappearing (unfortunately) but luckily it is filled by excellent orchestration. Chris? Don's ask me man . he does his job wonderfully with his attractive stage acts! Unfortunately Steve (who used to be very energetic with Yessongs or Keys) this time looks so gloomy - face wise - it seems he has a lot of things in his mind; well, I don't know exactly what happen with him. But he plays his guitar excellently. Jon singing is different with the studio version - it's kind like voice line 2 but it's much more lively, I think. The DVD offers us with multiple angles so when I select angle 2 I can see a lot of documentary world war I film (black and white). The symphonic orchestra does their best in this epic. One thing that I really like about this song is its musical flow where it starts slow and gradually increase into more rocking tempo. When it reaches the bass guitar solo - that is the best part that I really enjoy about this track! Oh man . how can a human being can create this wonderful composition???? Tell me my friend! Tell me! Oh ... The music then turns into quieter passage and welcomes the ending part "Soon" until it ends .. Marvelous! (As for my individual preferense, I feel that the stage act of keyboard player Tom Brislin is way too much overacting. Sorry to say, it's disgusting for my taste especially when he plays his keyboard in a rude style . Indeed he cannot replace either Rick or Patrick - IMHO).

Steve Howe does his solo excellently even though without any smile from his face (unfortunately). "And You And I" is another classic performed beautifully. Jon then talks about the idea that the band made as inspired by a book and wanted to create into four-piece of music. "It's called .. RITUAL!". Yeah . my other favorite track from "Tales From Topographic Ocean". (In my review of "Tales" I did mention about the story behind the making of Tales where Jon was lent a book by Jamie Muir of King Crimson).

What really surprise me is that Steve plays "Owner of a Lonely Heart" - wow! It's hard to believe but it happens. It's quite funny actually especially during the guitar opening where he plays differently - but it's a treat. (It's totally different with the version of 90125 live DVD that also have - Trevor Rabin plays as the studio version). The guitar solo in the interlude part is now filled with a keyboard solo.

"Roundabout" is as usual serving as an encore to the whole live set. It's modified from the original version. It's bit annoying (for my personal taste) seeing the (beautiful) girls from the symphonic orchestra musicians all of them dance on stage during this track. Enough..enough ...

My version contains 2 discs with first disc is the DVD of full symphonic concert and disc 2 is basically the audio CD of the concert. Too bad, there is no "Gates of Delirium" in the CD version, but I have it in bonus disc of my "Magnification" album. It's OK then. Highly recommended!

Progressively yours,

GW - Indonesia.

Keep on progging!

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#34211) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, February 04, 2005

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
5 stars Overwhelming

I had some misgivings when Yes announced that they were to tour with a full orchestra. Previous such indulgences by bands such as ELP, Deep Purple, Nice etc. had not always been entirely successful, often resulting in almost separate performances by band and orchestra.

I did however have the pleasure, no make that honour, of seeing Yes perform on this tour with an East European orchestra, in the Armadillo in Glasgow., This superb venue, vaguely similar to the Sydney Opera House, was perfect for what ranks for me as the best performance by Yes (or for that matter anyone else) I have ever seen. I was therefore slightly apprehensive when the DVD was releases as to whether it would manage to capture the magic of the experience, or whether it would tarnish my recollections. It was therefore extremely pleasing to find that my fears on all counts, were unwarranted.

While the "Magnification" album included new material recorded with an orchestra, the music performed live on the following "YesSymphonic" tour has never been (officially) released separately on CD. It has however been made available through this DVD, recorded on the Amsterdam leg of the tour. With the many live Yes albums which are available, it is understandable that not every tour is released in CD format. Given the added spectacle of this particular tour, DVD is clearly the most sensible option.

Unlike the aforementioned experiences of other bands, the orchestra here is seldom heard in isolation but is used throughout to enhance the overall sound. While a keyboard player -Tom Brislin - (not Wakeman, Moraz or Kaye!) was part of the line up, his role was much less to the fore than is usual for a Yes performance, the main function of the orchestra being to replace many of the keyboard parts.

The strategy gives pieces such as "Close to the edge" and "And you and I" an awesome and sometimes overwhelming majesty. The ending section of the latter is slowed right down, with ever increasing crescendos which almost literally push the listener back in their seat, such is the power.

There is a good diversity of old and new songs, including "Ritual", "In the presence of", "Roundabout" (band only encore) etc. During the latter, the youthful orchestra re- appear on stage minus their instruments, to "groove" to the music. How many orchestras would do that?!

The band is very tight throughout, perhaps reflecting the need to keep in perfect time with the orchestra, otherwise things could have become pretty chaotic. How they keep it all together on "The Gates of Delirium" during the "battle" section, is quite bewildering.

My sole disappointment with both the live performance and the DVD comes right at the start. The "Excerpt for the Firebird suite" has since the very early days of Yes signalled to the audience that the band were arriving on stage. It was of course played on tape. YesSymphonic offered the perfect opportunity for a live orchestra to perform the piece. Instead, a specially commissioned orchestral introduction was used. While this is pleasant enough, they should have used "Firebird".

The DVD is superbly filmed, recorded and presented, with a bonus disk of interviews and videos. At various points during the concert, there is the choice of either continuing to watch the performance, or to view animated films which compliment the music.

The YesSymphionic DVD is an essential addition to the collection of anyone who enjoys the music of Yes. It is arguably the definitive collaboration between group and orchestra.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#34215) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, February 14, 2005

Review by Eetu Pellonpää
3 stars This DVD is a nice document of the band's 21st century tour with a symphonic orchestra replacing RICK WAKEMAN. The visual material is enhanced with the graphics of Roger Dean, and the band did some nice versions of their classic epics "Close To The Edge", "Gates of Delirium" and "Ritual". Also Steve's solo performance of Vivaldi's lute concerto is pretty. I managed to see the Finland performance of this tour, which was YES's first visit to our distant artic land.

Send comments to Eetu Pellonpää (BETA) | Report this review (#34217) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 01, 2005

Review by Cygnus X-2
4 stars Yes has done it again, they've seemed to top themselves live. Their music has always had a symphonic edge, but now they've taken it one step further and actually played with a symphony. This is the classic line-up of White, Squire, Howe, and Anderson. The keyboardist is an unknown but did a good job playing all-around.

The show opens with Close to the Edge, my personal favorite song of the DVD. The entire group does a good job on this album, especially Howe, with his needless noodling that has become quintessential with his being. After an extended section in the middle, the keyboardist Tom Brislin goes into the Wakeman keyboard solo, and it sounds exactly like the record version.

Other songs that are worth mentioning that are superb are the Gates of Delirium, which was an impressive spectacle of sight and sound. Then there's Ritual, in which Chris Squire gives one of the best live bass performances I've ever seen. Then And You and I, which is always amazing live.

The material from Magnification that they played surprisingly good (I was never terribly fond of modern Yes, I like it, just not all that much. The best of the new material live is In the Presence Of...

Overall, I give this a 4.5 out of 5. I highly recommend it to everybody who likes Yes. This is easily the best Yes concert DVD available at the moment (It's a lot better than the Yessongs DVD).

Send comments to Cygnus X-2 (BETA) | Report this review (#34218) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 16, 2005

Review by Zitro
5 stars 5 proud stars coming from Zitro : this is my favourite concert DVD yet. Except for Wakeman (a young and extremely talented keyboardist does well), the classic lineup is here and playing like they never played before.

The song selection is good (but I wish they haven't played Magnification, Roundabout and Don't go) ...However, just the inclusion of Gates of Delirium, Close to The Edge, and Starship Trooper made me jump in excitement. All of the songs with the orchestra are played really well, and some of the songs (ritual, In The Presence of, Starship Trooper) sound better than the originals.

Get this DVD ... It is an essential Purchase for a Prog Rock Collection!

Send comments to Zitro (BETA) | Report this review (#42756) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 13, 2005

Review by fuxi
4 stars I fully agree with all the praise that has been heaped on this DVD. A superb program featuring no less than three of Yes' most ambitious 'epics', all expertly performed, with some help from a youthful orchestra. And to top it all, both "And You and I" and "Starship Trooper" sound more gorgeous, more triumphant than on any other live CD (even if Jon's voice is a little tired on the latter). I don't even mind the 'encore' of "Roundabout" (a tune I'm usually not too crazy about): the band are in great spirits, even Steve Howe (finally) smiles.

For me, Howe is the 'mystery man' of this recording. Having seen Yes play live only once, in 1977, I'm amazed he seems totally detached from the rest of the band. He makes no eye contact with anyone, is fully absorbed in playing his solo part, and whenever Chris Squire comes over to him, hoping to strike a few brotherly rock 'n' roll poses, Steve ignores him completely. On many of the tunes (CTTE and "Delirum" for example), Steve's lead guitar now sounds twangier, jazzier than before. To tell you the truth, I miss some of the old sustain.

If you want to see the band in their glory days, you're better off with a copy of LIVE AT GPR. There, the sound of Steve's lead guitar suddenly disappears at times (not during crucial solos, fortunately), and you're stuck with Jon's pedestian rhythm guitar, but you still know which notes you're supposed to hear, and it's simply amazing to see something I'd always wanted to see: Yes anno 1975, in their glory days, when they were young, ambitious - and even beautiful.

Send comments to fuxi (BETA) | Report this review (#63842) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, January 09, 2006

Review by memowakeman
5 stars Great concert!

During the years some BIG bands had attempt (in fact had done) a mix between the band and an orchestra, to give it a some "extra" symphonic sound, not always has been the best thing, but in this case, Yes with an orchestra makes this DVD awesome, the sound here is great, of course with it´s ups and downs, but in general i think this was a great idea, and very well placed and performanced.

Now im in the shoes of a Yes´fan, so what more could we ask?, i mean, here we can see Close to the Edge, Gates of Delirium and Ritual, 3 big songs, 3 of the most representative songs ever made by this monster of progressive rock, and that´s not the best, the best is that those 3 big songs were very well performanced, honestly i have enough with only that 3 songs that i love, of course i also love Heart of the Sunrise, Roundabout etc, but i cant imagine a concert with that 3 songs. OMG!

All the video is awesome, and one extra point, no Wakeman here eh?, but i dont miss him, in this concert Wakeman, Moraz, Kaye etc were replaced by a young keyboardist called Tom Brislin, i dont know anything about him, but believe me, he did a great job here.

The tracklist is incredible, they performanced various of their classic songs, and some of ther newest songs, in that era Magnification was their new release, which i like so much, they played from Close to the Edge, through Long distance , Mood for aDay, Gates of Delirium, Ritual, Roundabout, to Owner of a Lonely Heart and Magnfication, actually there were 15 songs, but you can imagine, with CTTE, GOD and Ritual , you´ll spend one hour watching those excellent songs, i think the concert was over 3 hours, fantastic!

Obviously i wont review song by song, but i can comment some of their best moments, for example i love when Jon speak tothe crowd introducing In the Prescence of , and of course when Howe makes his marvelous guitar solo, Gates of Delirium is my fav Yes song, so you can imagine i use to repeat that song when the DVD finishes, because it was a great performance, And You And I was of course another igh moment, beautiful, also Owner of a Lonely Heart is nice here making good concetion between band and audience, and during the concert we can appreciate some orchestrás members singins making some happy movements etc, showing us the current mood in the concert which is another extra point here.

I love this DVD, as i said above it´s lenght is over 3 hours, so you have to watch it in good mood, dont watch it if you are tired of something because it could be big enough for you. Of course this DVD is highly recommendale, i wont be so strict, because there are a couple of details for example Dont Go, i dont like it so much, but anyway this album is a masterpiece, if not at least an excellent addition to any prog lover, actually i would give it 4.7 stars, so 5 !

Send comments to memowakeman (BETA) | Report this review (#80383) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 05, 2006

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
5 stars Fantastic performance of Yes together with a symphony orchestra. The band is in really good form here and they seem to be enjoying themselves playing. The set list is amazing, covering such often overlooked albums as Relayer with a fantastic performance of Gates Of Delirium and from Tales From Topographic Oceans, the complete Ritual. Also such classics as Close To The Edge, And You And I, Long Distance Runaround, Roundabout and Starship Trooper. The set list also features songs from their then new album Magnification. These new songs fit in very well with the older classic songs and they are really, really good!

Steve Howe get his own little solo spot with an acoustic guitar performing a beautiful classical piece (Vivaldi?) as well as Mood For A Day. Amazing and very, very beautiful! Alan White also gets to show his ability on a drum solo in Ritual (and he is also later joined by all the other band members banging on various percussion instruments!)

Keyboard player Tom Brislin does a good job imitating both Rick Wakeman and Patric Moraz, though he doesn't add much himself. The orchestra is really good and they really add to the music without overshadowing the band itself. Jon Anderson performes his vocals without any mistakes whatsoever, as usual. Chris Squire, once again, proves that he is the best and most innovative bassist in history with several bass solos, most notably in Ritual but also in other songs.

My only criticism is that the members of the orchestra does ridiculous things; holding their instruments up in the air, waving them around, and also in Roundabout the female members of the orchestra are allowed to dance around on stage! Please! Why!?

Still this show is amazing!

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#177659) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, July 21, 2008

Review by progrules
4 stars As happens so often with albums (or in this case DVD's) the recent average of this release is exactly what it's worth to me. I just witnessed the full thing again and contemplated my rating thoroughly and it will have to be some 4,5 and that's what is got so far (4,46). Leaves the problem for the final rating but first of course let's go through this great live DVD.

Yes must have thought: let's start with the highlight. The first real song they play here is the super classic Close to the Edge. Even though the men get a little bit rusty after all those years and I have to get used to this nowadays status of the band members, I can only say: terrific performance. It's always a thrill to hear this great song but to see it played live by the band after 30 years still in an almost perfect way, it's really incredible, shivers down the spine, I can say no less. Jon Anderson makes a funny impression sometimes with his gestures, I mean I'm not a Yes fanboy so I'm not really into the band compared to the die heart fans so I'm not even sure what kind of person Jon is, but as the concert goes on, I find him more and more sympathetic. From time to time he applauds the fans in the Amsterdam concert hall as they applaud him. It's as if he is saying: isn't it a miracle that we're all still here together after these many many years of playing and touring. And so it is, the people in the audience are almost the same age as the band members I estimate and here they are gathered in this great venue, life has been kind to them and both musicians (including the orchestra !) and audience are having the time of their lives. A great experience. After the famous epic, two more average songs to calm things down before In the Presence of of their latest album Magnification takes its turn. Second great performance so far, a wonderful song. But after this it's peak time: Gates of Delirium ! The execution of this second super epic is even more perfect than Close to the Edge. Both songs compete within me for a long time about which is the ultimate best, it's very tough but on this live DVD Gates is the winner. The steel play of Howe is absolutely amazing. And after this Howe gets the opportunity to show more of his great class on an acoustic guitar. Breathtaking stuff, rightly so rewarded by the crowd and also admiring words from Anderson by the way.

After these highlights we have had the best of the concert but that's only logical. Yet there is enough to enjoy like Starship Trooper, And you and I and an impressive performance of Ritual. Last three songs are on itself dispensable for me but it has to be said: they gave the opportunity to the crowd to enjoy in another way, more like in a dance and enjoy way. In this way they pleased about everybody that was a witness of the great concert. But to most the real pleasure was being a witness ...

4 stars in the end because the set list wasn't the very best you can think of. If they would have played Awaken and Heart of the Sunrise as well, it would probably have been perfect. Still, the effort on Gates of Delirium made me have serious doubts about giving the full 5. A must have for every Yes fan and probably every prog fan.

Send comments to progrules (BETA) | Report this review (#211108) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 12, 2009

Review by progkidjoel
5 stars Perhaps the best ever prog concert.

Review by ProgKidJoel

Yes' SYMPHONIC LIVE is, put simply, THE ultimate prog rock concert. Orchestra in full, entire reconstructions of what I consider to be the best ever prog tracks, and some awesome playing by guys in their late 50's. So what's not to like? Very little! The lack of Wakeman may disappoint some die-hard fans, although I myself, a self admitted Yes fanboy, couldn't have been more impressed by Brislin's playing. He truly does the tracks justice, as do the new arrangements, and I can't think of any complaints as far as the playing goes.

The setlist is fantastic, featuring some of the proggiest, some of the poppiest, and some of the best latest. Particular standouts are CttE, which is always awesome to hear, especially live, Gates Of Delirium, which is played a lot less live by the band than I would have hoped, and Starship Trooper, which features a nearly all-orchestral instrumentation.

The band plays perfectly, but the real stars of this show are the orchestra - It takes guts to do what they did, and they did it with absolutely no flaws. Even during the truly intense prog sections of Gates Of Delirium, the orchestra never slip up, and continue to thrill and re-invent at true masterpiece with every trumpet note and violin squeal. I rarely find myself so thrilled by performances of songs, but this is a real exception - Seeing the tracks reinvented like this shines a whole new light on the older tracks, and reinvigorates the new'uns.

The playing is brilliant - No slip ups whatsoever, and every note has just as much, if not more, heart and soul within it than it did on the originals. When a band can do what they did in 1972 better in 2002, you know they're something truly extraordinary, and this stands as a testament.

Easy 5 star! -Joel

Send comments to progkidjoel (BETA) | Report this review (#216267) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, May 17, 2009

Review by thehallway
5 stars One of Yes's best live releases and better than any other "attempts" by other bands to tour with a symphony orchestra.

I think I speak for us all when I say that the real gems here are the epics. 'CTTE', 'Gates...' and specifically 'Ritual', work EXTREMELY well with the orchestra, sounding fuller and brighter than ever, yet you can still hear the band. The set list overall, seems to be perfect. Exactly perfect. For me anyway. Loads of great songs are there, all the classics, plus some rarely played material as well.

Temporary keyboard player Tom Brislin is faultless, blending the respectful note-for-note solos of Wakeman and Moraz with his own energetic styles. Alan, Chris and Steve have played better but are also very energetic, no complaints there. Jon is wonderful as usual, leading the songs with his angelic voice, and occassionally dabbling in incidental percussion, acoustic guitar and keyboards. The orchestra deliver everything a Yes song could ask for plus more, and even keep up in the frantic battle section of 'Gates...'. Amsterdam is well filmed and lit. It's colourful and clear with only a few annoying shots (during 'Don't Go' for example). And the sound seems to be well mixed.

Watch this in surround sound for the ultimate symphonic prog experience.

Send comments to thehallway (BETA) | Report this review (#279199) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 24, 2010

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover and E&O Teams
5 stars High class concert by Yes. One of the first I've ever seen.

Performance is perfect, there are no errors (only I sense that keyboards were changed, playing short tone lengths instead of long on Close to the Edge), instead of obvious necessity choice - replacement of Rick Wakeman (what could they do anyway). Combination of Yes Symphonic sounds and Symphonic Orchestra sounds is perfect and also, done without mistakes, even some people who were used to certain (studio) version of these songs will be surprised, maybe little bit disturbed by changes that had to been made because of added orchestral element. Especially Gates of Delirium sounds stunning, this song brings feelings and moods that hits very soul of mine.

Maybe also because of orchestra, songs sounds good, even the new ones (which are basically worse then classic era ones). Jon could still sing well at the moment, even his spoken parts (before/after songs) is unusual experience (I'm not used to listen speaking someone with voice like his), even as I said, singing is perfect. I note that Steve Howe looks particulary good here, something that is not so easy to achieve (his pictures used to scare me when I was younger). He also uses guitar with chopped neck at one time. I thought it's just hidden from point when camera is taking the picture, but nope, it's not here at all.

Chris Squire wears nice cloak. And except he reminds me Pendragon vocalist (with Richie Blackmore mustache), he does a perfect job. Tom Brislin isn't bad, but jumping and behaving as wild as Jordan Rudess (or Neal Morse) doesn't fit here at all (with all these calm, aged, yet skilled and still perfect gentlemen). All women orchestra (it seems like that, they're hiding men in darkness and out of camera eye most of the time) gets proper limelight, even women are more visible.

I'm stunned and even I would like to see my two other favourite songs (new and old respectively) "Homeworld" and "Yours Is No Disgrace"

5(-), SYMPHONIC Prog Rock masterpiece, I want Rick anyway.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#282027) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, May 15, 2010

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
5 stars This Yes live DVD is an incredible visual experience. Every member is at the top of their game; White, Squire, Anderson, Howe are of course as masterful as usual, but the real bonus here is the symphony orchestra that enhances every track with a grandiose classical touch - the European Festival Orchestra. The orchestra amalgamate with Yes to produce some of the greatest live Yes material. Of particular note are the stellar versions of 'Close To The Edge' all 20 minutes of it, 'In The Presence Of', 'The Gates Of Delirium' clocking 23:30, and one of the best renditions of 'Starship Trooper' I have heard.

The concert DVD also boasts some soloing from Steve Howe which is always a treat. The wonderful setlist includes 'Magnification', 'And You And I', and a 28 minute version of Topographic's 'Ritual'. Of course stalwart classics are here such as classy 'I've Seen All Good People', a different version of 'Owner Of A Lonely Heart' and the magnificent 'Roundabout'.

The sound quality is excellent and it all wraps up beautifully with some stellar special features. The Dreamtime documentary is fantastic fun viewing and the bonus video of 'Don't Go' is a nice touch. The menus work well and are cool eye candy, but of course the actual show is the piece de resistance. This is one of the best live performances and I always look forward to watching it. A masterpiece concert and one of a kind for the Yes fanatic.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#1069616) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, November 01, 2013

5 stars Yes have about 19 different concerts available on the market, from all different eras, with countless different line-ups and of differing quality. Yes Symphonic Live has the unique selling point of being performed live in conjunction with a Symphony Orchestra. The sound and visuals are top notc ... (read more)

Report this review (#529070) | Posted by Gentlegiantprog | Thursday, September 22, 2011 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This show is one of my favorites of all time and next to "90125"and his live version was my gateway to the Yes-when I saw it was on VHS! Wonder's "Close to the Edge" (but is actually orchestrated the opening track "Give Love Each Day"from the album "Magnification") until the final happy with "Rou ... (read more)

Report this review (#341937) | Posted by voliveira | Friday, December 03, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars All of the superlatives already given to this DVD are well deserved. Yes digs back into their glorious past and pulls out some of their biggest epics. Ritual was especially amazing. They played three new tracks off of the last album and they range from very good to excellent. They finished ... (read more)

Report this review (#251738) | Posted by tdfloyd | Thursday, November 19, 2009 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Yes playing live with a real orchestra, that could be a real gem. But it could also be the ultimate disappointment as the band has already reached the status of legendary. So why bother about playing with an orchtestra with all the risks attached? This dvd gives a very clear answer to this ques ... (read more)

Report this review (#227517) | Posted by Theo Verstrael | Sunday, July 19, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars After 2 years of getting into the prog power trio that is Genesis,King Crimson,and Yes (through my dad's old vinyl's) I came across this DVD on Amazon.My heart immediately started racing through my stomach. But it wasn't until 5 months later that they restocked on this item and I was able to buy ... (read more)

Report this review (#216656) | Posted by Spellcraft | Tuesday, May 19, 2009 | Review Permanlink

5 stars What to say ? The best Yes' songs with an orchestra behind ! Great versions of these classics... the best tracks are Close to the Edge, The Gates of Delirium, Ritual (Nous Sommes du Soleil), Starship Trooper and And You And I. The new songs Don't Go and Magnification are also extraordinary. It i ... (read more)

Report this review (#205156) | Posted by claugroi | Tuesday, March 03, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars There's little doubt that Yes music is made for an orchestra. Not wasting time, the show went straight to Close to the Edge, which quite frankly, was painful to listen to at first. I understand the desire to play the songs we all love to hear live but it was really bad at first. Almost as if the ... (read more)

Report this review (#201461) | Posted by AmericanKhatru | Monday, February 02, 2009 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Symphonic Live is one of the best DVDs of all time. The tracklist is very well done. In consists songs from the fantastic Magnification, and also monumental epics and Yes hits. Band members play with impressive intensity, however they were not young at the time of the concert. Tom Brislin is a ... (read more)

Report this review (#200572) | Posted by DJourou | Sunday, January 25, 2009 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is the ultimate concert DVD by any band! The earlier postings provide a great deal of excellent detailed reviews of the set list, orchestral performance, band performance, etc. so I won't expand on that. One aspect of this DVD that I haven't read much about is the sound quality and the ... (read more)

Report this review (#185076) | Posted by philsyes | Wednesday, October 08, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Excellent DVD! This is the best you're going to get out of the recent Yes DVD's. Having just released the decent "Magnification", the band toured, and had the help of local orchestras in concert. This particular show was filmed in Amsterdam (Perfect, the boys must have filled up on weed there) ... (read more)

Report this review (#110097) | Posted by OGTL | Wednesday, January 31, 2007 | Review Permanlink

2 stars It must be in the genetic make-up of every prog rock star that when they reach middle age (and beyond) and are maybe no longer 100% comfortable prancing around with guitars in hand, they feel compelled to hire an orchestra - as if the noble symphony orchestra, rich in history, by its very pres ... (read more)

Report this review (#88948) | Posted by The Mentalist | Monday, September 04, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Can perfection be achived by man? In one word: YES! Masterpiece tag. This is truly a mind-blowing experience. I suggest this DVD for every Yes-fan. This is simply put, the best live concert I have ever seen. The band is perfect, and Brislin does a great job replacing Wakeman. The orchestra co ... (read more)

Report this review (#88042) | Posted by Kleynan | Wednesday, August 23, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I have no words, this concert is perfect. The band is perfect, the orchestra is perfect, and the keyboardist Tom Brislin is also perfect and he replaced Rick Wakeman very well. The songs are fantastic and they are wonderfully ´performed by both band and orchestra. It all starts with an kickin ... (read more)

Report this review (#86719) | Posted by paixoxo | Friday, August 11, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This DVD covers Yes in performance in 2001-- with 33 years of experience in the bag of the band. Among the 15 tracks, there were three new songs-- Don't Go, In the presence of and Magnifications. Except for these three, all the other songs are great-- bearing the marks of the test of time. The th ... (read more)

Report this review (#82438) | Posted by Sharier | Sunday, July 02, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars When I first saw this, I thought cool, YEs with an orchestra, so I picked it up. I was not expecting it to be this great! THere is so much energy still alive in this band throughout time. They play a great selection of music, including a bit from Magnification (which I personally liked) The DVD ... (read more)

Report this review (#81364) | Posted by kem828 | Saturday, June 17, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Another 5 star rating for this monster here. I'd actually never seen Yes perform live, either in person or on video until watching this DVD. I must say that I am highly impressed at exactly how precise their execution was despite the complexity of the songs played in addition to the symphonic o ... (read more)

Report this review (#74816) | Posted by | Wednesday, April 12, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Symphonic Live is truly nothing short of incredible. From their Magnification tour, they have an orchestra backing them. Wakeman wasn't present here, but that can't be a bad thing because it means the inclusion of one of Yes' finest works The Gates of Delirium. Towards the end of this song it ... (read more)

Report this review (#65832) | Posted by | Saturday, January 21, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Ok, I'm biased. To say the least five stars. Six would do/be better... Yes has always been an orchestrated progressive group. The concepts and the philosophies are hard put to be confined to the limits of "Rock-n-Roll". The philosophies, the words, the instruments, the vocals. The complex i ... (read more)

Report this review (#44172) | Posted by John Dough | Thursday, August 25, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is quite possibly the best Yes live video available. First of all, the sound quality is amazing. I actually recorded all the songs from this DVD onto a couple audio discs so that I could listen to the music on its own. Second of all, the set list is pretty close to perfect. The setlis ... (read more)

Report this review (#38539) | Posted by | Tuesday, July 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars One should think that with the killer epics Close To The Edge, Gates of Delirium and Ritual, three of my all time favourites, this couldn't go wrong. Unfortunately it seems like they don't think that the orchestra is able to play anything faster than eighth notes. All the songs moves too slowly ... (read more)

Report this review (#36233) | Posted by | Saturday, June 11, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of YES "Symphonic Live (DVD)"