Yes - Ultimate Yes: 35th Anniversary Collection CD (album) cover

ULTIMATE YES: 35TH ANNIVERSARY COLLECTION

thehallway
4 stars Someone titled their review for this as a "young persons guide to Yes". And that's exactly what is was to me when I took my first step into the genre of prog, aged 13.

Of course once you own the entire Yes discography, this album becomes useless. But initially it is a very good way of getting your head around this perpetually changing band, showcasing all of the different "eras" and consequent changes in style on two jam-packed discs (or 3 as the case seems to be over in America). I have no major complaints, although I think 'Relayer' and 'Magnification' should be better represented (perhaps sacrificing some of the 90's songs).

So basically, if you're new to prog and you want a taster of some 35 years of it, then buy this! I wish I had got the 3-disc version now....

thehallway | 4/5 |