ULTIMATE YES: 35TH ANNIVERSARY COLLECTION

6. Long Distance Runaround
7. Heart Of The Sunrise
8. South Side Of The Sky
9. And You And I
10. America - (single edit)
11. Wonderous Stories

4. Don't Kill The Whale
5. Tempus Fugit
6. Owner Of A Lonely Heart
7. Leave It
8. It Can Happen - (single edit)
9. Rhythm Of Love
10. Big Generator - (remix)
11. Lift Me Up
12. Calling, The - (single)
13. Open Your Eyes
14. Homeworld (The Ladder) - (radio edit)
15. Magnification

DISC 3:
1. Roundabout - (previously unreleased, acoustic)
2. Show Me - (previously unreleased)
3. South Side Of The Sky - (previously unreleased, acoustic)
4. Australia - (previously unreleased, solo acoustic)
5. New World Symphony - (previously unreleased

4. Then
5. I've seen all good people
6. Heart of the sunrise
7. Starship trooper
8. Ritual (Nous sommes du soleil) (Alt version)

Disc: 2
6. Going for the one
7. Don't kill the whale
8. Owner of a lonely heart
9. Leave it
10. Big generator (remix)

Search YES Ultimate Yes: 35th Anniversary Collection lyrics

Search YES Ultimate Yes: 35th Anniversary Collection tabs

- Jon Anderson / vocals (A-J, L-W)
- Chris Squire / bass, vocals (A-N, P-W)
- Peter Banks / guitars (A-B)
- Bill Bruford / drums, percussion (A-F, O-P)
- Tony Kaye / keyboards (A-C, L-N, P-Q)
- Steve Howe / guitars, vocals (C-K, O-P, R-W)
- Rick Wakeman / keyboards (D-G, I-J, O-P, R-S)
- Alan White / drums, percussion (F-N, P-W)
- Patrick Moraz / keyboards (H)
- Trevor Horn / vocals (K)
- Geoff Downes / keyboards (K)
- Trevor Rabin / guitars, vocals (L-N, P-Q)
- Billy Sherwood / guitars, keyboards, vocals (T-V)
- Igor Khoroshev / keyboards (T-V)

A: Yes, B: Time and a Word, C: The Yes Album, D: Fragile, E: Close to the Edge, F: Yessongs, G: Tales from Topographic Oceans, H: Relayer, I: Going for the One, J: Tormato, K: Drama, L: 90125, M: 9012Live: The Solos, N: Big Generator, O: Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe, P: Union, Q: Talk, R: Keys to Ascension, S: Keys to Ascension 2, T: Open Your Eyes, U: The Ladder, V: House of Yes: Live From The House of Blues, W: Magnification

2003 Warner Strategic Marketing [UK], 2004 Elektra/Rhino [US] / CD 81227 37022 [UK], WTVD78042 [US]

and to TR for the last updates

YES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy YES Ultimate Yes: 35th Anniversary Collection Music

Heaven & EarthHeaven & Earth
Frontiers Records (Universal) 2014
Close to the EdgeClose to the Edge
Elektra / Wea 2003
Songs From Tsongas 35th Anniversary ConcertSongs From Tsongas 35th Anniversary Concert
Eagle Rock Entertainment 2014
The Studio Albums 1969-1987The Studio Albums 1969-1987
Atlantic Catalog Group 2013
Yes I Am by Melissa Etheridge (CD, Sep-1993, Island (Label)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
30m 2s
Yes Wondrous Stories / Parallels LIMITED EDITION 12" SINGLE (1977) K 10999 US $4.97 Buy It Now 30m 33s
YES TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS RARE OOP JAPAN MINI-LP 2SHM-CD US $39.99 Buy It Now 32m 2s
YES yesshows K 60142 A20-D20 uk atlantic 1980 DOUBLE LP PS EX/EX yes shows US $24.89 Buy It Now 32m 33s
YES RELAYER RARE OOP JAPAN MINI-LP SHM-CD US $26.99 Buy It Now 33m 41s
YES Keys to Ascension JAPAN 2LD LaserDisc W/OBI VALC-1021 US $57.00 Buy It Now 33m 52s
Yes Close to the Edge JAPAN PROMO CD 32XD-532 OBI US $65.00 Buy It Now 33m 52s
YES TORMATO RARE OOP JAPAN MINI-LP SHM-CD US $26.99 Buy It Now 36m 47s
YES 90125 RARE OOP JAPAN MINI-LP SHM-CD US $26.99 Buy It Now 39m 43s
PAUL WHITEMAN That's Yes In Your Eyes VICTOR 78 19309 batwing nice! US $11.95 Buy It Now 42m 51s
MIKE DOUGHTY - YES & ALSO YES NEW VINYL US $29.07 Buy It Now 50m
Melissa Etheridge - Yes I Am (CD 1993) ISLAND US $1.99 Buy It Now 50m 29s
MATTHEWS WRIGHT & KING * THE POWER OF LOVE & EVERYTIME SHE SAYS YES * 45 RPM US $5.00 Buy It Now 51m 37s
Singie Singie & Roots Radics - Yes She Gone 12" US $23.23 Buy It Now 52m 29s
Strawbs From The Witchwood Japan Promo Label Vinyl LP OBI 1987 Rick Wakeman Yes US $89.99 Buy It Now 55m 45s
YES JAPAN OBI MINT- NM GOING FOR THE ONE US $59.99 Buy It Now 57m 59s
Yes - The Yes Album - CD. ( Germany / Atlantic / 7567-81530-2 ) US $6.56 Buy It Now 58m 9s
Yes, Relayer, 8 Track Tape,Tested,Outer Sleeve,Gates of Delirium,Sound Chaser US $7.99 Buy It Now 59m 39s
Yes I Am by Melissa Etheridge (CD, Sep-1993, Island (Label)) US $1.29 [0 bids]
59m 51s
JUNIOR "YES (IF YOU WANT ME)" LONDON Record Vinyl 45 Rpm Free S/H USA! US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Yes [CD New] US $9.08 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Yes "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" South Africa Pressing US $12.99 [0 bids]
YES ROUNDABOUT EP 33 1/3 RPM 7 INCH US $3.99 [0 bids]
ASIA-THEN&NOW-EXTRA RARE 1990 GERMAN LP+INNER-NM MINUS/PROG-SYMPHONIC ROCK/YES US $19.90 Buy It Now 1h 12m
Pet Shop Boys-"Yes" (Special Album Megamix PROMO CD, Astralwerks) --MEGA RARE-- US $55.99 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Pet Shop Boys-"Yes" (Special Album Megamix PROMO CD, Astralwerks) --MEGA RARE-- US $55.99 Buy It Now 1h 22m
YES Fragile 5.1 Advanced Resolution Surround Sound DVD Audio Nice! US $79.99 Buy It Now 1h 23m
CLOVERS - "CRAWLIN'" b/w "YES IT'S YOU" on ATLANTIC (VG+) US $50.00 Buy It Now 1h 26m
YES-THE YES ALBUM 1971 ATLANTIC RECORDS GATEFOLD LP SD 19131 VG+-VG++ US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 31m
YES-90125 1983 ATCO REC. LP 90125-1 EXC. VG+ OWNER OF A LONELY HEART, LEAVE IT US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 31m
JON & VANGELIS-BEST OF ..-RARE 1984 GREEK NM LP/YES/PROG-ROCK/NEW AGE/ELECTRONIC US $24.90 Buy It Now 1h 33m
YES "TOTAL MASS RETAIN" / "AMERICA" A972 ATLANTIC RECORDS VG++ US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 37m
R&B 78 Bull Moose Jackson King 4181 I Love You Yes I Do + Sneaky Pete E US $8.49 Buy It Now 1h 38m
K-Os Yes! CD US $5.05 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Yes I Am by Melissa Etheridge (CD, Sep-1993, Island (Label)) US $5.99 [0 bids]
YES-9012LIVE-The SOLOS--(FACTORY SEALED LP) ATCO Records US $9.99 [0 bids]
LP YES tormato US $8.30 Buy It Now 1h 55m
YES Dual Two On One Fragile/Close to the Edge Cassette, Atlantic 80002-4F RARE! US $4.99 [0 bids]
FIVE STAR If I Say Yes 1986 12" single ext mix vintage vinyl record VG US $1.50 [0 bids]
Yes I Am by Melissa Etheridge (CD, Sep-1993, Island (Label)) US $1.77 Buy It Now 2h 2m
Big Generator, Yes, Acceptable US $2.00 Buy It Now 2h 7m
mollys yes Headliners II CD US $4.49 Buy It Now 2h 11m
LUCIANO PAVAROTTI Yes Giorgio Interview PROMO ONLY sealed lp US $29.99 Buy It Now 2h 11m
Asia Alpha Geffen Records 1983 VG+/VG++ Nice Wax Yes Steve Howe Roger Dean US $2.99 [0 bids]
Asia Self Titled Geffen 1982 Yes Emerson Lake Palmer 12" LP Excellent US $2.99 [0 bids]
YES Guitar Tab Software Lesson CD + BACKING TRACKS + FREE BONUSES US $8.46 Buy It Now 2h 14m
THE FUSION SYNDICATE - Various Artists Cd Prog Rock YES Billy Sherwood US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 17m
YES - TALK - CASSETTE US $4.95 [0 bids]
Rick Wakeman - Classic Tracks - CD - ( Yes / Best of / Hits / Collection ) US $6.56 Buy It Now 2h 24m
The Prog Box V/A CD 4 Discs Hawkwind Tangerine Dream Brainticket Yes Nektar Duul US $15.99 Buy It Now 2h 29m
NOS STEPHANIE WINSLOW ......... ANYTHING BUT YES IS US $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 34m
Yes I Am - Etheridge, Melissa (CD 1993) US $1.05 Buy It Now 2h 36m
JOHNNY ACE Saving My Love For You **YES BABY** Jump Blues Rocker 45 on DUKE 118 US $25.00 Buy It Now 2h 36m
JON ANDERSON - SONG OF SEVEN RARE CASSETTE IN MINT CONDITION / YES /THE BEATLES US $13.04 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE-SHADES OF DEEP PURPLE CASSETTE MINT COND /// YES / ELP / BEATLES US $13.04 [0 bids]
ASIA - ASIA CASSETTE IN MINT CONDITION / EMERSON LAKE & PALMER / YES US $13.04 [0 bids]
THE BILLS - YES PLEASE [THE BILLS] - NEW CD US $14.49 Buy It Now 2h 38m
YES Tales From Topographic Oceans 2CD MINI LP CD US $18.99 Buy It Now 2h 38m
YES Close To The Edge LP 1972 Atlantic SD 7244 Gatefold Vinyl Record US $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 41m
JOHNNIE RAY - YES TONIGHT JOSEPHINE / JUST WALKIN' IN THE RAIN OLD GOLD VINYL US $11.61 Buy It Now 2h 43m
TREVOR RABIN yes MEGA RARE w.PRESS-SHEET INCLUDED 1989 US $99.00 [0 bids]
YES CLOSE TO THE EDGE LP VINYL RECORD ATLANTIC GATEFOLD A3 B3 MATRIX RARE US $24.89 Buy It Now 2h 48m
Yes - "YesYears" - CD - Disc ONE only US $4.00 [0 bids]
Teri DeSario & K.C. - Yes, I'm Ready / With Your Love 45 rpm 1979 US $2.50 Buy It Now 2h 50m
Yes Import Atlantic UK Picture Sleeve 45rpm US $12.00 Buy It Now 2h 50m
YES DOUBLE LP TALES FROM THE TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS ATLANTIC RECORDS VINYL US $29.88 Buy It Now 2h 51m
Yes - "YesYears" - CD - Disc TWO only US $4.00 [0 bids]
YES FRAGILE LP ATLANTIC RECORD GATEFOLD SLEEVE & BOOKLET A2 B2 MATRIX RARE VINYL US $46.48 Buy It Now 2h 53m
Chromosomes, The - Yes Tresspassing NEW CD US $16.76 Buy It Now 2h 54m
YES GOING FOR THE ONE LP A31 B31 MATRIX RARE VINYL RECORD TRI SLEEVE US $13.27 Buy It Now 2h 56m
YES THE YES ALBUM UK ATLANTIC VINYL A2 B2 RECORD HUGE YES / PROG LOT US $16.59 Buy It Now 3h
YES TIME AND A WORD UK LP ATLANTIC VINYL RECORD HUGE YES COLLECTION US $16.59 Buy It Now 3h 3m
YES - IN THE PRESENT: LIVE FROM LYON - NEW CD US $59.41 Buy It Now 3h 5m
yes live US $12.99 [0 bids]
YES TORMATO LP RECORD HUGE PROG VINYL RECORD COLLECTION FOR SALE US $24.89 Buy It Now 3h 6m
RICK WAKEMAN-The Six Wives Of Henry VIII Live CD 3cd's AUTOGRAPHED ,YES US $9.99 [1 bids]
Just Say Da: Volume IV of Just Say Yes by Various Artists (CD, Aug-1990, Sire) US $5.99 Buy It Now 3h 9m
YES Close To The Edge 1994 GERMAN PRESSING 3 TRACK CD ALBUM REMASTERED US $9.95 Buy It Now 3h 10m
YES "Beyond and Before: BBC Recordings 1969-1970" Factory Sealed Vinyl LP US $32.99 Buy It Now 3h 14m
YES - HIGHLIGHTS - THE VERY BEST OF YES - 1993 CD - 12 TRACKS US $4.98 Buy It Now 3h 14m
Yes I Am US $3.96 Buy It Now 3h 15m
Pet Shop Boys - Yes (2009) CD 11 Trk UK issue US $4.97 [0 bids]
The Washdown : Yes to Everything CD (2004) US $3.64 Buy It Now 3h 20m
YES - FRAGILE 2011 US CD * NEW * US $11.61 Buy It Now 3h 22m
NU SHOOZ - SHOULD I SAY YES? - VG/NM- US $3.99 [0 bids]
Floetry - Say Yes - Promo 12" - NEAR MINT US $9.72 Buy It Now 3h 30m
THREE KARATS - YES I WILL - DW US $8.30 [0 bids]
YES " TORMATO " RARE COPY WITH STRAWBERRY SCRATCHED IN RUN - OUT AREA VG +++ US $4.98 [0 bids]
Yes I Am by Melissa Etheridge (CD, Sep-1993, Island (Label)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
YES Relayer LP 1974 UK 1st Press!!!!! STEREO ATLANTIC K 50096 US $33.22 [14 bids]
Yes Indeed! Women Vocalists on United by Various Art... US $4.74 Buy It Now 3h 54m
YES-Tormato 2004 +9 Bonus Track Autographed By RICK WAKEMAN UK Progressive Rock US $9.99 [0 bids]
Detective by Detective (CD, Mar-2010, Rock Candy) Led Zeppelin Yes 70s Hard Rock US $10.15 [0 bids]
YES Close To The Edge LP Record Vinyl Album MEGA RARE EX UK Press US $8.29 [0 bids]
YES Fragile LP Vinyl Album RARE Gatefold RARE Prog Rock EX+ US $8.29 [0 bids]
NEIL CHRISTIAN*THE CRUSADERS*OOPS*SHE SAID YES*1966*STRIKE*ORIG SLEEVE*MINT- US $24.91 Buy It Now 4h
YES Steve Howe Lp Beginings 1975 Atlantic records SD 18154 US $14.99 Buy It Now 4h
BOBBY WOMACK 45 I Don't Know / Yes Jesus Loves Me - NM US $7.00 Buy It Now 4h 2m
YES The Yes Album LP Vinyl Album Record RARE EX UK press US $8.29 [0 bids]
THE CHILITES- YES I'M READY VINYL 7" 45RPM US $2.08 Buy It Now 4h 3m

More places to buy YES music online Buy YES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for YES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ROGER DEAN & PROGARCHIVES.com Partnership : Put a genuine Dean on your desktop

YES Ultimate Yes: 35th Anniversary Collection ratings distribution

YES Ultimate Yes: 35th Anniversary Collection reviews

Review by Dan Bobrowski
3 stars Good, but non-essential if you have the Yes collection. Nothing really new here or stuff that won't be part of a future release (Acoustic Yes, just around the corner, I'd say).

Why buy it? It's a good "Big Picture" of the band throughout the years, that is, if you didn't buy YesYears, which I didn't. The price was low for a 3 CD release too. I paid about $14.00 US. Not bad....

If you've got the whole Yes discography, you won't need it. Introducing someone to Yes? This would be a cheap and easy way to do it.

A small bio of the changes within the band is included, as well as a Yes Timeline. They could have charged more and added a more comprehensive booklet, but, who cares about the revolving doors in the keyboard position. What matters is the music and this contains the best, world wide accepted, everybody can agree on this, nearly every era covered, disc.

The acoustic versions of Roundabout and South Side of the Sky are interesting, the latter being very good. A Jon Anderson song, okay, nothing to wake grandma up for. Another fine guitar piece from Steve Howe, I can never get enough Steve Howe Acoustic stuff. Finally, Chris Squire's New World Symphony, good, but again, grandma should sleep on without being disturbed.

It all comes down to how well you know Yes. If you have the essentials already, buy something from else that strikes a chord. Got a friend who hasn't got a clue, but might make a good proghole? Buy 'em this.

A curious point..... They include ABWH in the notes, as well as the album cover, but not a single tune.... As I said, curious?

Send comments to Dan Bobrowski (BETA) | Report this review (#31148) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, June 24, 2004

Review by Gatot
1 stars My comments here apply to 2-CD release. I don't know how many versions of this are available. I bought it in Singapore when YES performed their Full Circle Second Leg tour 25 Sept 2003.

NAH! I'm not gonna recommend you to buy this CD. Two reasons: 1. Yes, it may be good introduction to those who are new to the band. But, I HATE that some tracks are intentionally TRUNCATED to fit the CD capacity. This is unprofessional.Giving this CD to newbie may create wrong impression about the band. Introducing someone to YES, I'd rather give "Close to the Edge" or "Fragile" or "Relayer" or "Going for the One" albums.

2. I don't think it's a good idea to make a compilation of YES because most of their best classic tracks are very long (duration-wise). Say "Close to The Edge", "The Gates of Delirium", "The Revealing Science of God", "Awaken", "Starship Trooper", how can you make 'em in a single package? Tough job! It's impossible, I would say.

Don't get me wrong, my friend. I'm a great fan of the band. I even purchased 3 copies of this compilation in which 2 copies went to my best friends who did not have a chance to watch the band "live" in their second leg tour in Singapore. I felt ashame giving them such a poor CD collection. As for my copy, I took the sleeve only and never touched the CD since then. I HATE it!

So, my friend ... DO NOT BUY this CD! You'd better buy each album separately. And my recommendation is: you start with "Fragile" then "Close to The Edge" then "Going for The One". YES is really a great band that cannot be compiled into 2 CD! - Gatot Widayanto, Indonesia.

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#31149) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 28, 2004

Review by lor68
3 stars Well- if you're not into their early stuff anymore- this collection is quite essential; otherwise you could remain a bit disappointed in the opposite, and decide to erase another half star at least.Ok the majority of this stuff has been already performed all over the world- in their Anniversary Tour 2004-but also in other completely different gigs, like that one very well appreciated by an enthusiastic crowd in Lugano at Estival Jazz, on 8 July 2004: such considerations above let me feel good anyway, even though sometimes I'm disturbed.In fact-when I think of the excellent choice concerning the songs inside the recent Magnification Tour- I don't understand whether this is the right criterion, in order to satisfy both the old and the new fans, or not...The lack of some classics from "Relayer" and "Close to the edge" (except on "And you and I"),as well as the "missed" tracks regarding the recent albums "The Ladder" (here you can listen to "Homeworld") and "Magnification", can make you feel betrayed,especially if you're a recent fan. Certainly they could have inserted the execution -into this celebrative collection- of the solos from the recent material by Steve Howe and from the classic "Catherine Howard" by Rick Wakeman as well (do you remember "Six waves of Henry VIII"?!?) and it should have been an excellent consolation for us, along with the choice to put the recent good songs within. Instead this triple CD contains some tepid compositions like "Big Generator" and "Lift me up", which are not essential for me, but it never minds...you can keep this collection as a reference, regarding of their whole career,all along their several vicissitudes: as a matter of fact- when you listen to them live on stage (The Annniversary Tour is in progress) and regarding of their programme too, which is much better- you can understand their evolution (even though actually not in all the circumstances)...

Send comments to lor68 (BETA) | Report this review (#31150) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 09, 2004

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars A young persons guide to Yes

With most bands, any "Best of" compilation is going to be a subjective project. The tracks included are often their most commercially successful pieces, not necessarily their best. It seems strange then, that with their vast back catalogue, many of the tracks for inclusion in any Yes compilation pick themselves.

The UK and North American versions of this collection have a number of tracks which are unique to one or the other. The North American version for example has "Time and a word", "South side of the sky", "Open your eyes", "Magnification" "America", "Tempus fugit", "Rhythm of love" "Lift me up" and "Open your eyes", while the UK version has instead "Survival", "Ritual", and "Awaken". I'm not sure what logic was used to decide which tracks should appear on which version of the compilation, but the inclusion of an entire side of "Tales from Topographic oceans" on the UK release but nothing at all from that album of the North American one is interesting.

The obvious omission from both is "Close to the edge", presumably due to its length. The other two classic tracks from that album are present, although the UK release originally had the wrong version of "And you and I" on it. An early, "studio run through" version appeared as a bonus track on the expanded re-release of "Close to the edge", but was erroneously included on this compilation in place of the original album version.

On the North American version, the order of the tracks is broadly chronological, offering a picture of how the band's music and style has developed and changed over the period. The UK version however appears to have been compiled with a view to creating a coherent album regardless of the relative ages of the tracks, and thus ends with "Awaken" from the 1977 "Going for the one" album.

It is significant that there is a strong bias in the track selections on both versions, towards the band's early material, such that by the third track on disc 2 of the chronological North American version, we are only up to "Going for the one".

Both versions of this album represent an excellent, reasonably priced, introduction to the music of the band for those who are unfamiliar with the music of Yes. Of course there are the usual compilation failings of edits, remixes, missing tracks etc., which make the album less valid for fans, but it is good to see Yes getting the attention they deserve from the music industry. This resulted in the collection enjoying significant chart success.

The North American release included a short bonus third CD of acoustic tracks which were rather out of place, but probably worthwhile nonetheless.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#31152) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 08, 2004

Review by Australian
3 stars After 37 years Yes still managed to reach high chart positions with "The Ultimate Yes." The album reached number 10 in the UK while also charting throughout most of the world. The great thing about this album is that out of all Yes best of albums it is probably the cheapest, easiest to acquire and most extensive.as far as a double album goes. It isn't all that expensive if you compare it to 'In A Word', but who other than a hardcore Yes fan (like me) would spend such large amounts of money on a CD? For this reason "The Ultimate Yes" is perfect for the Yes newbie as it covers all eras of Yes, even The Ladder despite the fact the song "Homeworld" is criminally shortened from nine to three minutes. On reflection "The Ultimate Yes" is more of a collection than a best of in that it contains songs from all periods of the band; it's really a sample album. The album also comes with a fold out booklet which includes all past and present members of the band and all studio albums. I'd recommend this album to beginners to the band; it will do well for you. Good, but non-essential

Send comments to Australian (BETA) | Report this review (#93438) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, October 05, 2006

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
4 stars The UK version is one of the best compilations of the Yes Canon. So many highlights including the excellent Yours is no disgrace, Roundabout, I've seen all good people, Heart of the sunrise, Starship trooper on CD1. I was amazed that an alt version of Ritual (Nous sommes du soleil) was included from Topographic!

CD 2 features brilliance with Siberian khatru, Long distance runaround, Wondrous stories and my favourite And you and I. Going for the one and Don't kill the whale are welcome additions. No collection would be complete without the awesome Owner of a lonely heart. Its all here for the new Yes fans! There is not much in the way of new material so most Yes fans would have all this. But its still a great package. Well worth the effort.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#180152) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Review by Tarcisio Moura
2 stars I have mixed feelings about this compilation. First of all, I canīt decide which version is better. I guess in the end itīs all the same: no compilation does justice to Yes. Simple as that. I agree with much of what the other reviewers say, I conccurs with Easy Livinīs reasoning. Still I think itīs hard to give a newbie a truly overall picture of Yes picking up some tracks from their many releases. Some of their best stuff are just too long to fit propoerly in the limited CD space (Close To the Edge is maybe their most obvious exemple). And some albums are too much a complete affair to be sliced without some considerable artistic damage.

Ok, I know most of the tracks are excellent. Even their 80īs work has some merit, but to mix them with their classics and some of the earlier - pre The Yes Album - stuff is giving a newbie a strange picture. Yes changed a lot over the years and I think that only the whole albums did really shows what they were about on every phase. Yes were never a singles band (even if they did have some hit singles). So this album is really great songs taken out of context (the good CD booklet does not solve this problem entirely either)

Conclusion: if youīre interested in knowing Yes, go for the individual albums. If you get this compilation be aware that each song is only a sample of a greater thing. So when you like one particular tune then you can go for the album it came from. Youīll be rewarded.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#180372) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Review by thehallway
4 stars Someone titled their review for this as a "young persons guide to Yes". And that's exactly what is was to me when I took my first step into the genre of prog, aged 13.

Of course once you own the entire Yes discography, this album becomes useless. But initially it is a very good way of getting your head around this perpetually changing band, showcasing all of the different "eras" and consequent changes in style on two jam-packed discs (or 3 as the case seems to be over in America). I have no major complaints, although I think 'Relayer' and 'Magnification' should be better represented (perhaps sacrificing some of the 90's songs).

So basically, if you're new to prog and you want a taster of some 35 years of it, then buy this! I wish I had got the 3-disc version now....

Send comments to thehallway (BETA) | Report this review (#279247) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 24, 2010

1 stars I would say this compilation is for beginners, if they choose to get it. But not the US version for it has single edits of songs, so you won't get the experience of the epics Yes are known for. The UK version has a mix of songs from the beginning to the present of their career. The Problem I h ... (read more)

Report this review (#514439) | Posted by Hober Mallow | Sunday, September 04, 2011 | Review Permanlink

3 stars This the the compilation that really introduced me to Yes when I had just discovered progressive rock, and I can say I suppose it did it's job of introducing a young, open-minded and musically informed kid into a Yes fan. I wouldn't say it's my favorite compilation, but I mainly appreciate some s ... (read more)

Report this review (#159941) | Posted by Draith | Sunday, January 27, 2008 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I am not a massive Yes fan, and after being disappointed by Close to The Edge I thought i'd cut my losses and buy this 2 disc best of album. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the album, finding it in general much more pleasing than Close to The Edge. My favourite songs on the album are R ... (read more)

Report this review (#156430) | Posted by cynthiasmallet | Sunday, December 23, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars OK, I got this compilation the year it was released. It has a selection of material from Time and a Word (1970) to Magnification (2001). While the tracks that are chosen are quite good representation of the band's respective eras, the company decided to include some sub par unreleased tracks, mos ... (read more)

Report this review (#110472) | Posted by OGTL | Friday, February 02, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This review is of the UK version: (I don't know if there is a mistake on this site but my version's disc 2 has 13 tracks - the last 3 being The Calling, Homeworld (The Ladder) and Awaken) For a casual Yes listener or a complete stranger, I think this is a very good introduction to the band. ... (read more)

Report this review (#89648) | Posted by Jimsey | Thursday, September 14, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Of course, no collection will ever be large enough to capture all of Yes' essentials. But, with that being said, I find this collection came very near. It is an excellent introduction to Yes' music for a non-progger or new progger. I always prefer to buy actual albums instead of collections, but ... (read more)

Report this review (#85199) | Posted by Shakespeare | Sunday, July 30, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Possibly one of the greatest cds ever! How dare you say it isn't essential. I had never listened to YES before, but because of these CD's I purchased every single YES CD, Vynil, Tape and 8 track. I love it. Brilliantly Put together. WELL worth a buy. ... (read more)

Report this review (#31154) | Posted by | Sunday, April 10, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Being a younger generation fan I can you're guys points of views, but in all honesty I like this album. Its got some of my favourite tracks on, from my favourite albums so I cant complain. My suggestion if you're a younger generation fan (like me =] ), and you want to get into YES then I would ... (read more)

Report this review (#31153) | Posted by | Wednesday, March 09, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars compilations - there has been some of them to present yes. I'm not quite sure if this really attracts people who are only familiar with 'owner of a lonely heart'. Most of the real Yes fans have all or at least most of the studio and live albums anyway... the most interesting stuff is included o ... (read more)

Report this review (#31151) | Posted by | Friday, September 10, 2004 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I purchased this collection album a few days after it was released in the U.S., and I was extremely disappointed. If this album didn't have such a large concentration of edits and remixes of the songs then maybe it could have been a worthwhile collection of some Yes favorites. Avoid this one u ... (read more)

Report this review (#31147) | Posted by | Thursday, June 24, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of YES "Ultimate Yes: 35th Anniversary Collection"