ULTIMATE YES: 35TH ANNIVERSARY COLLECTION

6. Long Distance Runaround
7. Heart Of The Sunrise
8. South Side Of The Sky
9. And You And I
10. America - (single edit)
11. Wonderous Stories

4. Don't Kill The Whale
5. Tempus Fugit
6. Owner Of A Lonely Heart
7. Leave It
8. It Can Happen - (single edit)
9. Rhythm Of Love
10. Big Generator - (remix)
11. Lift Me Up
12. Calling, The - (single)
13. Open Your Eyes
14. Homeworld (The Ladder) - (radio edit)
15. Magnification

DISC 3:
1. Roundabout - (previously unreleased, acoustic)
2. Show Me - (previously unreleased)
3. South Side Of The Sky - (previously unreleased, acoustic)
4. Australia - (previously unreleased, solo acoustic)
5. New World Symphony - (previously unreleased

4. Then
5. I've seen all good people
6. Heart of the sunrise
7. Starship trooper
8. Ritual (Nous sommes du soleil) (Alt version)

Disc: 2
6. Going for the one
7. Don't kill the whale
8. Owner of a lonely heart
9. Leave it
10. Big generator (remix)

Search YES Ultimate Yes: 35th Anniversary Collection lyrics

Search YES Ultimate Yes: 35th Anniversary Collection tabs

- Jon Anderson / vocals (A-J, L-W)
- Chris Squire / bass, vocals (A-N, P-W)
- Peter Banks / guitars (A-B)
- Bill Bruford / drums, percussion (A-F, O-P)
- Tony Kaye / keyboards (A-C, L-N, P-Q)
- Steve Howe / guitars, vocals (C-K, O-P, R-W)
- Rick Wakeman / keyboards (D-G, I-J, O-P, R-S)
- Alan White / drums, percussion (F-N, P-W)
- Patrick Moraz / keyboards (H)
- Trevor Horn / vocals (K)
- Geoff Downes / keyboards (K)
- Trevor Rabin / guitars, vocals (L-N, P-Q)
- Billy Sherwood / guitars, keyboards, vocals (T-V)
- Igor Khoroshev / keyboards (T-V)

A: Yes, B: Time and a Word, C: The Yes Album, D: Fragile, E: Close to the Edge, F: Yessongs, G: Tales from Topographic Oceans, H: Relayer, I: Going for the One, J: Tormato, K: Drama, L: 90125, M: 9012Live: The Solos, N: Big Generator, O: Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe, P: Union, Q: Talk, R: Keys to Ascension, S: Keys to Ascension 2, T: Open Your Eyes, U: The Ladder, V: House of Yes: Live From The House of Blues, W: Magnification

2003 Warner Strategic Marketing [UK], 2004 Elektra/Rhino [US] / CD 81227 37022 [UK], WTVD78042 [US]

and to TR for the last updates

YES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy YES Ultimate Yes: 35th Anniversary Collection Music

Heaven & EarthHeaven & Earth
Frontiers Records (Universal) 2014
Songs From Tsongas 35th Anniversary ConcertSongs From Tsongas 35th Anniversary Concert
Eagle Rock Entertainment 2014
Rhino/Elektra 2003
RelayerRelayer
Remastered · Extra tracks
Elektra 2003
MEMPHIS SHIRLEY BROWN WOMAN TO WOMAN/YES SIR BROTHER TRUTH 3906 US $7.99 Buy It Now 31m 24s
The One NM CD Soundtrack Trevor Rabin (of Yes fame) Jet Li US $10.49 Buy It Now 39m 27s
YES TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC CD GOLD DISC FREE P+P! US $146.94 Buy It Now 40m 32s
Wonderworld by Molly's Yes (CD, Oct-1999, Uptown/Universal) US $0.99 [0 bids]
42m 56s
YES-BBC SESSIONS 1969 1970-JAPAN MINI LP 2 BLU-SPEC CD BONUS TRACK Ii19 zd US $48.99 Buy It Now 44m 52s
7" RICKY NELSON YES,SIR, THAT'S MY BABY HLP 9188 US $4.90 [0 bids]
49m 52s
NM 1982 Yes, Giorgio strk LP . Luciano Pavarotti US $5.50 Buy It Now 53m 39s
YES Close To The Edge 2013 CD +DVDA Digipak NEW & SEALED US $26.04 Buy It Now 57m 6s
Groovatron -Yes Have Some(CD,2001)Indiana Indie Released Alt-Rock/Jam Band US $5.00 [0 bids]
58m 45s
PATRICK MORAZ The Story Of I REMAST BONUS TRKS YES MOODY BLUES Vapour Trails US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h
YES Classic Rock LP 90125 US $4.99 [0 bids]
LEWIS, Bobby (Tossin' An' Turnin' // Oh Yes I Love You) REISSUE US $3.50 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Yes My Goodness Yes Al Perkins Ex Atco northern soul US $14.65 [0 bids]
SEALED: STEVE HOWE ~ BEGINNINGS rare YES vinyl lp w/ STICKER prog psych WOW US $9.95 [0 bids]
THE HUNCHES yes no shut it LP Ty Segall The Spits Thee Oh Sees Fuzz US $12.99 [0 bids]
Yes - Fragile - Red Rim Atlantic CD 250 009 No Barcode No IFPI Code EX US $6.52 [0 bids]
The Beatles: " TICKET TO RIDE & YES IT IS " STAR LINE A-6288 / LOOK US $17.99 Buy It Now 1h 12m
Yes - Keys to Ascension double prog rock cd US $4.90 [1 bids]
Yes 70s POP ROCK DJ LP Music An Evening with Jon Anders US $19.98 Buy It Now 1h 19m
TOMMY DORSEY AND HIS ORCHESTRA YES INDEED VG LP VG COVER 1213 US $0.99 [0 bids]
Jason Mraz YES! 2014 Taiwan w/obi CD+digipak New US $17.99 [0 bids]
Yes-90210 original 1983 release US $4.00 [0 bids]
Yes-Tormato 1994 release. US $4.00 [0 bids]
Soundtrack - Yes Minister, Vol. 1 (Original , 2003) CD UK. (FOUR ORIG BBC RADIO US $8.15 [0 bids]
BILL BRUFORD ~ FEELS GOOD TO ME rare U.S. EGLP YES KING CRIMSON ALLAN HOLDSWORTH US $9.99 [0 bids]
Yes "Fragile" with Original Color Insert and "90125" 2 LPs Excellent Condition US $35.29 Buy It Now 1h 36m
Vangelis-Portraits original 1996 Polydor BMG release Jon Anderson Yes US $4.00 [0 bids]
Anderson,Bruford,Wakeman,Howe-Yes US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 39m
Lot of 2 Classic Rock LPs Yes & Def Leppard Records US $9.99 [0 bids]
Dodie Stevens - Yes, I'm Lonesome Tonight / Too Young (VG) 1960 #753 US $7.00 [0 bids]
7"-Single THE BUGGLES - The Plastic Age (1980) GERMANY PS / TREVOR HORN ASIA YES US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 46m
PROMO w SLEEVE Grapefruit Yes / Elevator 1968 45rpm VG++ US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 51m
YES The Very Best Of Highlights CD like new US $3.00 [0 bids]
Bob Creash Quintet "Yes Sir, That's My Baby/Ain't She Sweet" Unique Promo US $2.00 Buy It Now 1h 52m
Yes Roundabout & Other Hits CD US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 58m
Can't Look Away - Trevor Rabin | Elektra/Asylum Records Đ1989 - Prog Rock Yes US $8.97 Buy It Now 1h 59m
Yes - Fragile DVD Audio US $59.99 Buy It Now 2h 3m
JAMES PASTELL 45 - Rusty Nail 1002 - Hell Yes I Cheated / Woman Of The World US $8.75 Buy It Now 2h 5m
Chad Brock CD Yes US $8.99 [0 bids]
YES YESTERDAYS ITALY PRESSING 1074 EX/EX to EX+ US $19.00 Buy It Now 2h 7m
YES 12 MINI LP CD REAL JAPAN PLUS WATERFALL BOX SET US $599.00 Buy It Now 2h 7m
Yes by Morphine (CD, Mar-1995, Ryko Distribution) used US $0.99 [0 bids]
YES 9012LIVE THE SOLOS TAPE FIRST PRESSIN 1985 OOP JON ANDERSON US $2.00 [0 bids]
JON ANDERSON Deseo CD BRAND NEW Solo YES 1994 Ambient Progressive US $5.99 Buy It Now 2h 14m
Yes I Am by Melissa Etheridge (CD, Sep-1993, Island (Label)) US $1.99 [0 bids]
YES YESSONGS CD GOLD DISC RECORD LP DISPLAY FREE P&P! US $146.94 Buy It Now 2h 16m
Jon and Vangelis-The Friends of Mr. Cairo Rare CD 1981 Anderson Yes Prog US $8.99 Buy It Now 2h 17m
7 inch single, 1978, Yes, Don't Kill the Whale US $2.45 [0 bids]
8 TRACK TAPE. YES FRAGILE IN STEREO. HTF. US $11.69 [0 bids]
YES-UNION LIVE 1991-JAPAN MINI LP 2CD LIMITED EDITION I98 zd US $44.99 Buy It Now 2h 23m
Yes - Drama NEW CD US $5.62 Buy It Now 2h 24m
BACCARA SORRY IM A LADY, YES SIR I CAN BOOGIE lp MANHATTAN US $16.00 [1 bids]
YES THE YES ALBUM CD GOLD DISC FREE P+P! US $146.94 Buy It Now 2h 29m
YES FRAGILE CD GOLD DISC FREE P+P! US $146.94 Buy It Now 2h 29m
YES 90125 CD GOLD DISC FREE P+P! US $146.94 Buy It Now 2h 29m
RICK WAKEMAN Country Airs LP new age prog Yes piano solos VG++/VG++ US $8.00 Buy It Now 2h 30m
ANDERSON BRUFORD WAKEMAN HOWE - KOREA LP - YES US $7.99 Buy It Now 2h 31m
THE POINTER SISTERS Fairytale / Yes We Can Can MCA used 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 37m
Love & Sex Oh Yes I Like It CD US $9.78 Buy It Now 2h 38m
YES - PERIPHET (RARE 2LP/SHRINK/IMPOSSIBLE RECORD) 1979 LIVE US $32.00 Buy It Now 2h 40m
YES - Roundabout '88 (RARE JAPAN 2LP)Live US $58.00 Buy It Now 2h 40m
YES - IN THE ROUND (RARE 2LP/SHRINK) US $65.00 Buy It Now 2h 40m
YES RELAYER CD GOLD DISC FREE P+P! US $146.94 Buy It Now 2h 40m
Yes - Big Generator, Play Tested Audio Cassette US $1.49 [0 bids]
PETER BANKS T-Shirt Size XL (YES Prog Rocker) US $15.99 Buy It Now 2h 43m
Bobby Lewis :Tossin' And Turnin' / Oh Yes I Love You US $7.00 [0 bids]
PETER BANKS T-Shirt Size LARGE (YES Prog Rocker) US $15.99 Buy It Now 2h 43m
YES DRAMA ORIGINAL 1980 ATLANTIC 12" GATEFOLD LP WITH INSERT FREE UK POSTAGE US $40.82 Buy It Now 2h 45m
The jets clock-yes tonight Josephine upcycled 7" vinyl record rockabilly US $19.58 Buy It Now 2h 45m
THE BUGGLES Adventures In Modern Recording Trevor Horn Geoff Downes Asia Yes US $29.99 Buy It Now 2h 46m
YES RELAYER ORIGINAL 1974 ATLANTIC GATEFOLD 12" SINGLE WITH INNER FREE UK POST US $40.82 Buy It Now 2h 46m
Yes . Drama . 2010 . NM . Firday Music FRM 16019 . 180 Gram Vinyl LP US $15.99 Buy It Now 2h 47m
THE FAT BOYS Are Back! 1984 Sutra Don't Be Stupid Back Yes Y'all Pump It Up US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 48m
ELVIN BISHOP Live! Raisin' Hell LP Live Mickey Thomas Joy Give It Up Yes Sir US $13.99 Buy It Now 2h 48m
Captainface - You Yes You (CDs) Fat Hippy Records 6 Tracks - Mint - Fast Postage US $8.15 Buy It Now 2h 51m
YES - Union - 1991 - CD - ARCD-8643 - UPC 7822-18643-2 US $2.99 [0 bids]
Yes - Fly From Here-Deluxe Edition (Cd/Dvd) [CD New] US $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 53m
Yes - Close To The Edge [CD New] US $9.23 Buy It Now 2h 53m
45 Record with matching jukebox label NOT original sleeve Foreigner That was yes US $8.00 [0 bids]
45 Record with matching jukebox label NOT original sleeve Yes It Can Happen US $9.00 [0 bids]
NITTY GRITTY DIRT BAND ALSO YES YESTERDAYS NEAR MINT US $0.99 [1 bids]
3h
YES 90125 CD US $4.08 Buy It Now 3h
2 LP Lot Yes "Close To The Edge" & Queen "The Game" US $13.99 Buy It Now 3h 2m
Michael on Fire : Always Yes CD (2011) US $4.00 Buy It Now 3h 3m
Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe(Cassette Tape,1989)Progressive Rock_YES members US $1.00 [0 bids]
JOHNNIE RAY (VOCAL) - YES TONIGHT JOSEPHINE - NEW CD BOXSET US $131.61 Buy It Now 3h 5m
Close to the Edge - Yes (CD 1994) RMSTR XCLNT Condition FREE Shipping US $7.99 Buy It Now 3h 8m
RHYTHM &VOCAS MUSIC IT'S A FACT YES JEFF LORBER RECORD LP FREE SHIP USA US $7.49 Buy It Now 3h 10m
Singie Singie Yes She Gone Roots Radics 12 VG+ Rare Roots Reggae US $15.00 Buy It Now 3h 11m
Yes - YesShows 1980 Atlantic Records SD 2-510 Vinyl Near Mint US $14.99 [0 bids]
3 MELISSA ETHERIDGE CD LOT GREATEST/ IF/ YES US $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 16m
THE POINTER SISTERS (Self Titled Debut LP) Yes We Can Can (1973 R US $1.00 [0 bids]
Melissa Etheridge -cassette lot - yes i am - my window self US $5.99 Buy It Now 3h 18m
The Spooks Karma Hotel I Believe Yes CD Single NEW US $4.65 Buy It Now 3h 23m
Close to the Edge [Bonus Tracks] [Remaster] by Yes (CD, Aug-2003, Elektra... US $6.99 Buy It Now 3h 23m
YES drama COLOMBIA LP VINYL south america gatefold p/s EX/EX TOP rare US $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 24m
Fly From Here [CD/DVD] [Digipak] [CD & DVD] by Yes (CD, Jul-2011, 2 Discs,... US $12.05 Buy It Now 3h 24m
Yes Close to the Edge Album Original Brand New Vinyl LP US $24.98 [0 bids]
CANDYLAND UK 7" 45 Fountain O' Youth on Fiction yes 4, 1990 US $6.30 Buy It Now 3h 28m
Edwin Starr 45 Stop The War Now/War Collectables Records 1972 #YES-464 US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 29m

More places to buy YES music online Buy YES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for YES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ROGER DEAN & PROGARCHIVES.com Partnership : Put a genuine Dean on your desktop

YES Ultimate Yes: 35th Anniversary Collection ratings distribution

YES Ultimate Yes: 35th Anniversary Collection reviews

Review by Dan Bobrowski
3 stars Good, but non-essential if you have the Yes collection. Nothing really new here or stuff that won't be part of a future release (Acoustic Yes, just around the corner, I'd say).

Why buy it? It's a good "Big Picture" of the band throughout the years, that is, if you didn't buy YesYears, which I didn't. The price was low for a 3 CD release too. I paid about $14.00 US. Not bad....

If you've got the whole Yes discography, you won't need it. Introducing someone to Yes? This would be a cheap and easy way to do it.

A small bio of the changes within the band is included, as well as a Yes Timeline. They could have charged more and added a more comprehensive booklet, but, who cares about the revolving doors in the keyboard position. What matters is the music and this contains the best, world wide accepted, everybody can agree on this, nearly every era covered, disc.

The acoustic versions of Roundabout and South Side of the Sky are interesting, the latter being very good. A Jon Anderson song, okay, nothing to wake grandma up for. Another fine guitar piece from Steve Howe, I can never get enough Steve Howe Acoustic stuff. Finally, Chris Squire's New World Symphony, good, but again, grandma should sleep on without being disturbed.

It all comes down to how well you know Yes. If you have the essentials already, buy something from else that strikes a chord. Got a friend who hasn't got a clue, but might make a good proghole? Buy 'em this.

A curious point..... They include ABWH in the notes, as well as the album cover, but not a single tune.... As I said, curious?

Send comments to Dan Bobrowski (BETA) | Report this review (#31148) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, June 24, 2004

Review by Gatot
1 stars My comments here apply to 2-CD release. I don't know how many versions of this are available. I bought it in Singapore when YES performed their Full Circle Second Leg tour 25 Sept 2003.

NAH! I'm not gonna recommend you to buy this CD. Two reasons: 1. Yes, it may be good introduction to those who are new to the band. But, I HATE that some tracks are intentionally TRUNCATED to fit the CD capacity. This is unprofessional.Giving this CD to newbie may create wrong impression about the band. Introducing someone to YES, I'd rather give "Close to the Edge" or "Fragile" or "Relayer" or "Going for the One" albums.

2. I don't think it's a good idea to make a compilation of YES because most of their best classic tracks are very long (duration-wise). Say "Close to The Edge", "The Gates of Delirium", "The Revealing Science of God", "Awaken", "Starship Trooper", how can you make 'em in a single package? Tough job! It's impossible, I would say.

Don't get me wrong, my friend. I'm a great fan of the band. I even purchased 3 copies of this compilation in which 2 copies went to my best friends who did not have a chance to watch the band "live" in their second leg tour in Singapore. I felt ashame giving them such a poor CD collection. As for my copy, I took the sleeve only and never touched the CD since then. I HATE it!

So, my friend ... DO NOT BUY this CD! You'd better buy each album separately. And my recommendation is: you start with "Fragile" then "Close to The Edge" then "Going for The One". YES is really a great band that cannot be compiled into 2 CD! - Gatot Widayanto, Indonesia.

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#31149) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 28, 2004

Review by lor68
3 stars Well- if you're not into their early stuff anymore- this collection is quite essential; otherwise you could remain a bit disappointed in the opposite, and decide to erase another half star at least.Ok the majority of this stuff has been already performed all over the world- in their Anniversary Tour 2004-but also in other completely different gigs, like that one very well appreciated by an enthusiastic crowd in Lugano at Estival Jazz, on 8 July 2004: such considerations above let me feel good anyway, even though sometimes I'm disturbed.In fact-when I think of the excellent choice concerning the songs inside the recent Magnification Tour- I don't understand whether this is the right criterion, in order to satisfy both the old and the new fans, or not...The lack of some classics from "Relayer" and "Close to the edge" (except on "And you and I"),as well as the "missed" tracks regarding the recent albums "The Ladder" (here you can listen to "Homeworld") and "Magnification", can make you feel betrayed,especially if you're a recent fan. Certainly they could have inserted the execution -into this celebrative collection- of the solos from the recent material by Steve Howe and from the classic "Catherine Howard" by Rick Wakeman as well (do you remember "Six waves of Henry VIII"?!?) and it should have been an excellent consolation for us, along with the choice to put the recent good songs within. Instead this triple CD contains some tepid compositions like "Big Generator" and "Lift me up", which are not essential for me, but it never minds...you can keep this collection as a reference, regarding of their whole career,all along their several vicissitudes: as a matter of fact- when you listen to them live on stage (The Annniversary Tour is in progress) and regarding of their programme too, which is much better- you can understand their evolution (even though actually not in all the circumstances)...

Send comments to lor68 (BETA) | Report this review (#31150) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 09, 2004

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars A young persons guide to Yes

With most bands, any "Best of" compilation is going to be a subjective project. The tracks included are often their most commercially successful pieces, not necessarily their best. It seems strange then, that with their vast back catalogue, many of the tracks for inclusion in any Yes compilation pick themselves.

The UK and North American versions of this collection have a number of tracks which are unique to one or the other. The North American version for example has "Time and a word", "South side of the sky", "Open your eyes", "Magnification" "America", "Tempus fugit", "Rhythm of love" "Lift me up" and "Open your eyes", while the UK version has instead "Survival", "Ritual", and "Awaken". I'm not sure what logic was used to decide which tracks should appear on which version of the compilation, but the inclusion of an entire side of "Tales from Topographic oceans" on the UK release but nothing at all from that album of the North American one is interesting.

The obvious omission from both is "Close to the edge", presumably due to its length. The other two classic tracks from that album are present, although the UK release originally had the wrong version of "And you and I" on it. An early, "studio run through" version appeared as a bonus track on the expanded re-release of "Close to the edge", but was erroneously included on this compilation in place of the original album version.

On the North American version, the order of the tracks is broadly chronological, offering a picture of how the band's music and style has developed and changed over the period. The UK version however appears to have been compiled with a view to creating a coherent album regardless of the relative ages of the tracks, and thus ends with "Awaken" from the 1977 "Going for the one" album.

It is significant that there is a strong bias in the track selections on both versions, towards the band's early material, such that by the third track on disc 2 of the chronological North American version, we are only up to "Going for the one".

Both versions of this album represent an excellent, reasonably priced, introduction to the music of the band for those who are unfamiliar with the music of Yes. Of course there are the usual compilation failings of edits, remixes, missing tracks etc., which make the album less valid for fans, but it is good to see Yes getting the attention they deserve from the music industry. This resulted in the collection enjoying significant chart success.

The North American release included a short bonus third CD of acoustic tracks which were rather out of place, but probably worthwhile nonetheless.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#31152) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 08, 2004

Review by Australian
3 stars After 37 years Yes still managed to reach high chart positions with "The Ultimate Yes." The album reached number 10 in the UK while also charting throughout most of the world. The great thing about this album is that out of all Yes best of albums it is probably the cheapest, easiest to acquire and most extensive.as far as a double album goes. It isn't all that expensive if you compare it to 'In A Word', but who other than a hardcore Yes fan (like me) would spend such large amounts of money on a CD? For this reason "The Ultimate Yes" is perfect for the Yes newbie as it covers all eras of Yes, even The Ladder despite the fact the song "Homeworld" is criminally shortened from nine to three minutes. On reflection "The Ultimate Yes" is more of a collection than a best of in that it contains songs from all periods of the band; it's really a sample album. The album also comes with a fold out booklet which includes all past and present members of the band and all studio albums. I'd recommend this album to beginners to the band; it will do well for you. Good, but non-essential

Send comments to Australian (BETA) | Report this review (#93438) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, October 05, 2006

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
4 stars The UK version is one of the best compilations of the Yes Canon. So many highlights including the excellent Yours is no disgrace, Roundabout, I've seen all good people, Heart of the sunrise, Starship trooper on CD1. I was amazed that an alt version of Ritual (Nous sommes du soleil) was included from Topographic!

CD 2 features brilliance with Siberian khatru, Long distance runaround, Wondrous stories and my favourite And you and I. Going for the one and Don't kill the whale are welcome additions. No collection would be complete without the awesome Owner of a lonely heart. Its all here for the new Yes fans! There is not much in the way of new material so most Yes fans would have all this. But its still a great package. Well worth the effort.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#180152) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Review by Tarcisio Moura
2 stars I have mixed feelings about this compilation. First of all, I canīt decide which version is better. I guess in the end itīs all the same: no compilation does justice to Yes. Simple as that. I agree with much of what the other reviewers say, I conccurs with Easy Livinīs reasoning. Still I think itīs hard to give a newbie a truly overall picture of Yes picking up some tracks from their many releases. Some of their best stuff are just too long to fit propoerly in the limited CD space (Close To the Edge is maybe their most obvious exemple). And some albums are too much a complete affair to be sliced without some considerable artistic damage.

Ok, I know most of the tracks are excellent. Even their 80īs work has some merit, but to mix them with their classics and some of the earlier - pre The Yes Album - stuff is giving a newbie a strange picture. Yes changed a lot over the years and I think that only the whole albums did really shows what they were about on every phase. Yes were never a singles band (even if they did have some hit singles). So this album is really great songs taken out of context (the good CD booklet does not solve this problem entirely either)

Conclusion: if youīre interested in knowing Yes, go for the individual albums. If you get this compilation be aware that each song is only a sample of a greater thing. So when you like one particular tune then you can go for the album it came from. Youīll be rewarded.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#180372) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Review by thehallway
4 stars Someone titled their review for this as a "young persons guide to Yes". And that's exactly what is was to me when I took my first step into the genre of prog, aged 13.

Of course once you own the entire Yes discography, this album becomes useless. But initially it is a very good way of getting your head around this perpetually changing band, showcasing all of the different "eras" and consequent changes in style on two jam-packed discs (or 3 as the case seems to be over in America). I have no major complaints, although I think 'Relayer' and 'Magnification' should be better represented (perhaps sacrificing some of the 90's songs).

So basically, if you're new to prog and you want a taster of some 35 years of it, then buy this! I wish I had got the 3-disc version now....

Send comments to thehallway (BETA) | Report this review (#279247) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 24, 2010

1 stars I would say this compilation is for beginners, if they choose to get it. But not the US version for it has single edits of songs, so you won't get the experience of the epics Yes are known for. The UK version has a mix of songs from the beginning to the present of their career. The Problem I h ... (read more)

Report this review (#514439) | Posted by Hober Mallow | Sunday, September 04, 2011 | Review Permanlink

3 stars This the the compilation that really introduced me to Yes when I had just discovered progressive rock, and I can say I suppose it did it's job of introducing a young, open-minded and musically informed kid into a Yes fan. I wouldn't say it's my favorite compilation, but I mainly appreciate some s ... (read more)

Report this review (#159941) | Posted by Draith | Sunday, January 27, 2008 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I am not a massive Yes fan, and after being disappointed by Close to The Edge I thought i'd cut my losses and buy this 2 disc best of album. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the album, finding it in general much more pleasing than Close to The Edge. My favourite songs on the album are R ... (read more)

Report this review (#156430) | Posted by cynthiasmallet | Sunday, December 23, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars OK, I got this compilation the year it was released. It has a selection of material from Time and a Word (1970) to Magnification (2001). While the tracks that are chosen are quite good representation of the band's respective eras, the company decided to include some sub par unreleased tracks, mos ... (read more)

Report this review (#110472) | Posted by OGTL | Friday, February 02, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This review is of the UK version: (I don't know if there is a mistake on this site but my version's disc 2 has 13 tracks - the last 3 being The Calling, Homeworld (The Ladder) and Awaken) For a casual Yes listener or a complete stranger, I think this is a very good introduction to the band. ... (read more)

Report this review (#89648) | Posted by Jimsey | Thursday, September 14, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Of course, no collection will ever be large enough to capture all of Yes' essentials. But, with that being said, I find this collection came very near. It is an excellent introduction to Yes' music for a non-progger or new progger. I always prefer to buy actual albums instead of collections, but ... (read more)

Report this review (#85199) | Posted by Shakespeare | Sunday, July 30, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Possibly one of the greatest cds ever! How dare you say it isn't essential. I had never listened to YES before, but because of these CD's I purchased every single YES CD, Vynil, Tape and 8 track. I love it. Brilliantly Put together. WELL worth a buy. ... (read more)

Report this review (#31154) | Posted by | Sunday, April 10, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Being a younger generation fan I can you're guys points of views, but in all honesty I like this album. Its got some of my favourite tracks on, from my favourite albums so I cant complain. My suggestion if you're a younger generation fan (like me =] ), and you want to get into YES then I would ... (read more)

Report this review (#31153) | Posted by | Wednesday, March 09, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars compilations - there has been some of them to present yes. I'm not quite sure if this really attracts people who are only familiar with 'owner of a lonely heart'. Most of the real Yes fans have all or at least most of the studio and live albums anyway... the most interesting stuff is included o ... (read more)

Report this review (#31151) | Posted by | Friday, September 10, 2004 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I purchased this collection album a few days after it was released in the U.S., and I was extremely disappointed. If this album didn't have such a large concentration of edits and remixes of the songs then maybe it could have been a worthwhile collection of some Yes favorites. Avoid this one u ... (read more)

Report this review (#31147) | Posted by | Thursday, June 24, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of YES "Ultimate Yes: 35th Anniversary Collection"