ULTIMATE YES: 35TH ANNIVERSARY COLLECTION

6. Long Distance Runaround
7. Heart Of The Sunrise
8. South Side Of The Sky
9. And You And I
10. America - (single edit)
11. Wonderous Stories

4. Don't Kill The Whale
5. Tempus Fugit
6. Owner Of A Lonely Heart
7. Leave It
8. It Can Happen - (single edit)
9. Rhythm Of Love
10. Big Generator - (remix)
11. Lift Me Up
12. Calling, The - (single)
13. Open Your Eyes
14. Homeworld (The Ladder) - (radio edit)
15. Magnification

DISC 3:
1. Roundabout - (previously unreleased, acoustic)
2. Show Me - (previously unreleased)
3. South Side Of The Sky - (previously unreleased, acoustic)
4. Australia - (previously unreleased, solo acoustic)
5. New World Symphony - (previously unreleased

4. Then
5. I've seen all good people
6. Heart of the sunrise
7. Starship trooper
8. Ritual (Nous sommes du soleil) (Alt version)

Disc: 2
6. Going for the one
7. Don't kill the whale
8. Owner of a lonely heart
9. Leave it
10. Big generator (remix)

Search YES Ultimate Yes: 35th Anniversary Collection lyrics

Search YES Ultimate Yes: 35th Anniversary Collection tabs

- Jon Anderson / vocals (A-J, L-W)
- Chris Squire / bass, vocals (A-N, P-W)
- Peter Banks / guitars (A-B)
- Bill Bruford / drums, percussion (A-F, O-P)
- Tony Kaye / keyboards (A-C, L-N, P-Q)
- Steve Howe / guitars, vocals (C-K, O-P, R-W)
- Rick Wakeman / keyboards (D-G, I-J, O-P, R-S)
- Alan White / drums, percussion (F-N, P-W)
- Patrick Moraz / keyboards (H)
- Trevor Horn / vocals (K)
- Geoff Downes / keyboards (K)
- Trevor Rabin / guitars, vocals (L-N, P-Q)
- Billy Sherwood / guitars, keyboards, vocals (T-V)
- Igor Khoroshev / keyboards (T-V)

A: Yes, B: Time and a Word, C: The Yes Album, D: Fragile, E: Close to the Edge, F: Yessongs, G: Tales from Topographic Oceans, H: Relayer, I: Going for the One, J: Tormato, K: Drama, L: 90125, M: 9012Live: The Solos, N: Big Generator, O: Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe, P: Union, Q: Talk, R: Keys to Ascension, S: Keys to Ascension 2, T: Open Your Eyes, U: The Ladder, V: House of Yes: Live From The House of Blues, W: Magnification

2003 Warner Strategic Marketing [UK], 2004 Elektra/Rhino [US] / CD 81227 37022 [UK], WTVD78042 [US]

and to TR for the last updates

YES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy YES Ultimate Yes: 35th Anniversary Collection Music

RelayerRelayer
Imports 2014
Songs From Tsongas 35th Anniversary ConcertSongs From Tsongas 35th Anniversary Concert
Eagle Rock Entertainment 2014
Elektra / Wea 2003
Close to the Edge [Blu-ray]Close to the Edge [Blu-ray]
unknown
Blu-ray Audio$18.80
Like It Is - YES At The Bristol HippodromeLike It Is - YES At The Bristol Hippodrome
FRONTIERS 2014
Yes! 2 Lp Lot! Drama! Shows! US $11.00 Buy It Now 29m 59s
YES full circle tour 2002 tour programme 24 pages US $15.94 Buy It Now 30m 25s
YES - Yesshow (Deluxe Expanded Live Recording) 2011 Import NEW US $14.56 [0 bids]
31m 55s
Yes! by Chad Brock (CD) NEW & SEALED! US $5.59 Buy It Now 33m 59s
DAVID CROSBY "OH YES I CAN" CASSETTE 1989 a&m US $3.82 Buy It Now 35m 6s
DINAH SHORE - 24 Carat Gold Disc LP - DINAH,YES INDEED US $208.29 Buy It Now 35m 37s
YES Relayer 8 Track Tape Original Slip Case US $12.88 Buy It Now 36m 29s
Yes - Close to the Edge US 1st pressing NM- US $69.95 Buy It Now 39m 37s
YES Affirmative 'Yes Solo Family Album' (Connoisseur VSOP CD 190) CD; Prog Rock US $16.01 Buy It Now 41m 7s
YES - Leave It, 12"single, 1983 Atco New Zealand import. Rush, Steven Wilson US $3.19 [0 bids]
41m 22s
YES Astral Traveller (Brilliant BT 33019) CD US $12.80 Buy It Now 41m 59s
YES Roundabout "The Best Of Yes - Live" (Music Club MCCD 524) CD US $12.80 Buy It Now 43m 6s
YES The Yes Album (Elektra/Rhino 8122-73788-2) CD US $12.80 Buy It Now 43m 34s
90125 (Expanded & Remastered) (Bonus Tracks) - Yes US $6.18 Buy It Now 43m 59s
FRAGILE BY YES (CD) US $11.75 Buy It Now 44m 25s
YES Yes + Friends (Recall/Snapper Music SMDCD476) 2CD US $14.40 Buy It Now 44m 32s
Yes - 90125 lp 90125-1 ATCO Records US $6.99 Buy It Now 44m 40s
YES Yes-Today (Recall/Snapper Music SMDCD375) 2CD US $14.40 Buy It Now 44m 55s
GHOST KNIFE - KILL SHELTER YES NEW CD US $17.15 Buy It Now 45m 57s
YES-TORMATO 1978 ATLANTIC RECORDS LP SD 19202 EXC. VG+ STEVE HOWE, CHRIS SQUIRE US $4.99 Buy It Now 46m 8s
ROSANNE CASH 45 RPM 7" VINYL RECORD ** I WONDER ** OH YES I CAN ** US $1.99 [0 bids]
46m 23s
SWEET SENSATION surething yes I do / sad sweet dreamer 45 PYE ---soul--- VG/VG+ US $5.00 Buy It Now 47m 46s
prog FLASH In the Can 1972 orig LP PETER BANKS YES US $11.99 Buy It Now 51m 19s
YES / HIGHLIGHTS : THE VERY BEST OF YES / CASSETTE TAPE / ATLANTIC (TURKEY) US $5.21 Buy It Now 52m 18s
JON and VANGELIS - Short Stories- vinyl LP - Near mint. Yes. Jon Anderson US $3.19 [0 bids]
54m 7s
SENSATIONS - YES SIR THAT'S MY BABY b/w SYMPATHY - ATCO 45 - MAROON LBL US $9.95 Buy It Now 54m 27s
Unrest Yes She Is My Skinhead Girlfriend 7" With Insert US $11.99 Buy It Now 54m 40s
James Brown-It's A Man's Man's World b/w Is It Yes Or Is It No-UK PYE 7N 25371 US $9.95 Buy It Now 56m 37s
YES Yes Album LP Atlantic green & orange label K 40106 US $10.24 Buy It Now 1h 3m
YES YESTERDAYS RARE JAPAN REPLICA EXACT TO THE ORIGINAL LP IN A OBI LIMITED HDCD US $199.99 Buy It Now 1h 8m
YES 90125 EXCEPTIONAL ORIG 1983 ATCO LP Anderson, Squire, Rabin, White, Kaye US $3.96 [0 bids]
Johnny Ace - Yes, Baby / Saving My Love For You - Duke 118 - 1953 US $17.50 Buy It Now 1h 11m
Just Say Mao: Volume III of Just Say Yes by Various Artists (CD, Sire) US $10.99 [0 bids]
Yes I Am - Etheridge, Melissa - Audio CD - Very Good Condition US $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Yes Magnification/Talk EU 2-CD Set (2008) "Don't Go"/"Walls"/"Endless Dream" VG+ US $12.74 Buy It Now 1h 15m
1 CENT CD Machine Says Yes - FC Kahuna SEALED US $0.25 [4 bids]
Yes. No. Shut It. by Hunches (The) (CD, Nov-2002, In the Red Records) US $15.99 Buy It Now 1h 19m
YES - Symphonic Music of Yes rare Cassette BRAND NEW US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 22m
Yes We Can / Night People, Dorsey, Lee, New US $21.68 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Union by Yes (CD, Feb-2003, Bmg / Arista ) US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 29m
YES - Fragile, 1973 UK LP / inner ...... NICE EARLY COPY US $6.39 [0 bids]
Yes Solo LPs (3) Anderson-SongSeven Wakeman-JourneyCenterEarth Rabin-CantLook US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Yes Self Titles Vinyl Record Album US $8.99 [1 bids]
Yes, Owner of a lonely Heart LP#0-96976 (VG)12" US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 33m
YES "90215" LP US $15.99 Buy It Now 1h 33m
YES- Union (CD, Apr-1991, Arista) VGC ARCD-8643 US $2.25 Buy It Now 1h 42m
Cat Curtiss Sunnyview 45 Record #3002 NM Yes I Love You / I Won't Let You Go US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Sensations~Yes Sir That's My Baby*VG+! US $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 49m
Yes ?- Close To The Edge First Record ?FL-2275 Rare Vinyl Import LP Album US $239.99 Buy It Now 1h 50m
Yes Album [CD/DVD] [Digipak] by Yes (CD, Apr-2014, 2 Discs, Panegyric) US $11.99 Buy It Now 1h 59m
JAMES PASTELL Hell Yes I Cheated / Woman Of The World 45 NM NOS On Paula US $4.99 Buy It Now 2h
YES AND YOU AND I UK 1973 ATLANTIC 7 INCH US $3.19 [0 bids]
Kim Arrington - Getting Ii Yes [CD New] US $14.98 Buy It Now 2h 10m
YES tormato LP Mint- SD 19202 Atlantic USA 1978 Record Original US $13.50 Buy It Now 2h 10m
Yes Relayer HDCD Japan Mini LP Remaster CD Mint Condition OOP HTF US $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 12m
(CD) RICK WAKEMAN - Rock N' Roll Prophet Plus / UK Import / YES US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 13m
Polyphonic Spree Yes It's True LP Good GRR 27 2013 Vinyl New/Sealed US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 13m
YES THE YES ALBUM SEALED CD NEW REMASTERED US $4.09 Buy It Now 2h 14m
Yes Drama HDCD Japan Mini LP CD Remastered Mint Condition OOP HTF US $27.99 Buy It Now 2h 19m
FLASH "In the Can" 1972 Capitol TONY BANKS - YES ~ UK Prog Psych Sealed US $19.95 [0 bids]
YES keys to ascension 2 CD BOX STEVE HOWE RICK WAKEMAN US $3.99 [0 bids]
YES 90125, Atlantic records, 1983 US $4.00 Buy It Now 2h 35m
Jon Anderson (Yes) - Deseo CD One Way Records 1994 US $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 39m
YES Time And A Word record Psychedelic Rock LP disc VG++ US $13.50 Buy It Now 2h 40m
YES 'FRAGILE' 1971 ATLANTIC K 50009 g/fold with inner booklet MINT- US $7.93 [1 bids]
YES "NM WAX" Fragile 16P1-2052 LP AE7868 US $7.99 [0 bids]
YES "NM WAX" 90125 P-11356 LP Ae7846 US $7.99 [0 bids]
YES "NM WAX" Close to The Edge P-10116 OBI LP AE3834 US $7.99 [0 bids]
YES Drama P-10854 OBI LP AE3836 US $7.99 [0 bids]
YES "NM WAX" Yesshows SD2-510 2LP AE7866 US $7.99 [1 bids]
YES Yes Years A Retrospective AMLY-8038 OBI 2LD S7956 US $39.99 [0 bids]
Led Zeppelin King Crimson Yes more LP / Heavies for Apr US $9.90 Buy It Now 3h 5m
Just Say Yes: Sire's Winter CD Music Sampler by Various Artists (CD, 1987, Sire) US $2.99 [0 bids]
Yes Relayer Atlantic SD 19135 Stereo Vinyl Record Album Early Press US $34.99 Buy It Now 3h 7m
Yes - Live In Switzerland [Vinyl New] US $53.48 Buy It Now 3h 9m
Yes, Georgio OST Soundtrack PDV9001 LP Luciano Pavoratti Gatefold US $6.99 Buy It Now 3h 11m
Christmas 45 WLP Green Vinyl Jimmy Dean - Blue Christmas / Yes, Patricia, VG+ US $4.99 [0 bids]
ASSOCIATION, THE (Yes, I Will) Warner Bros. 7305 US $4.00 Buy It Now 3h 18m
HISTORY OF SOUL - YES INDEED: SOUL CHRONOLOGY 4 1957-58 NEW CD US $22.56 Buy It Now 3h 19m
YES..Yesterdays ORG '74 U.K. ATLANTIC K50048 COMPILATION W/ Thick Inner NM! US $25.00 Buy It Now 3h 19m
Yes - Yesterdays LP 180g Vinyl RI NEW US $29.99 Buy It Now 3h 19m
Yes - Drama (2004 Sealed CD w/Bonus Tracks) US $6.99 Buy It Now 3h 20m
YES:Lonely Hearts-Euro.LP ARC 0085 DJ ACV,Live In Germany & Milan Italy July 84 US $74.98 Buy It Now 3h 23m
YES:Sweet Dreams-Dear Father-U.K. 7" 1970 Atlantic Recording Corpn. 2091 004 US $74.98 Buy It Now 3h 25m
Yes I Am by Melissa Etheridge (CD, Sep-1993, Island (Label)) US $3.96 Buy It Now 3h 26m
YES - 90125 - BONUS TRACKS (IMPORT) NEW CD US $52.93 Buy It Now 3h 28m
JON ANDERSON Song Of Seven ATLANTIC RECORDS 1980 Near Mint YES US $13.95 [0 bids]
BEN LEE - HEY YOU, YES YOU (CD 2003) BRAND NEW & SEALED !!! ! WOW !!!! US $10.95 Buy It Now 3h 35m
YES~9012 LIVE~THE SOLOS CD ~RARE JAPAN IMPORT~AMCY-375 BLACK OBI~BRAND NEW-OOP US $69.99 Buy It Now 3h 36m
Yes ..Classic Yes [Remaster].....New Sealed CD US $5.99 Buy It Now 3h 37m
TREVOR RABIN,RABBIT?/?JAPAN Mini-LP CD x 6 titles PROMO BOX Set!! ?YES US $348.00 Buy It Now 3h 38m
YES CLOSE TO THE EDGE STEREO RECORD ALBUM US $0.59 [0 bids]
YES 9012 Live The Solos CD Japan 7 tracks ATCO AMCY-375 US $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 39m
(BN952) Yes!, Little Mothers - 1999 CD US $4.79 Buy It Now 3h 49m
RICK WAKEMAN Six Wives Of Henry VIII QUADRAPHONIC Quad Near Mint YES! US $79.95 [0 bids]
YES 90125 LP Vinyl Record Album EX+ with inner RARE US $4.41 [0 bids]
Foggy River Boys Yes I'm Satisfied / Glory Glory Clear The Road Decca 29631 US $25.00 Buy It Now 3h 53m
Yes Yesterdays RARE Cassette Album US $6.12 Buy It Now 3h 54m
NEW ANNE MURRAY CASSETTE TAPE YES I DO US $3.99 Buy It Now 3h 55m
YES Tormato LP Vinyl Album Record MEGA RARE EX+ US $4.41 [0 bids]

More places to buy YES music online Buy YES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for YES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ROGER DEAN & PROGARCHIVES.com Partnership : Put a genuine Dean on your desktop

YES Ultimate Yes: 35th Anniversary Collection ratings distribution

YES Ultimate Yes: 35th Anniversary Collection reviews

Review by Dan Bobrowski
3 stars Good, but non-essential if you have the Yes collection. Nothing really new here or stuff that won't be part of a future release (Acoustic Yes, just around the corner, I'd say).

Why buy it? It's a good "Big Picture" of the band throughout the years, that is, if you didn't buy YesYears, which I didn't. The price was low for a 3 CD release too. I paid about $14.00 US. Not bad....

If you've got the whole Yes discography, you won't need it. Introducing someone to Yes? This would be a cheap and easy way to do it.

A small bio of the changes within the band is included, as well as a Yes Timeline. They could have charged more and added a more comprehensive booklet, but, who cares about the revolving doors in the keyboard position. What matters is the music and this contains the best, world wide accepted, everybody can agree on this, nearly every era covered, disc.

The acoustic versions of Roundabout and South Side of the Sky are interesting, the latter being very good. A Jon Anderson song, okay, nothing to wake grandma up for. Another fine guitar piece from Steve Howe, I can never get enough Steve Howe Acoustic stuff. Finally, Chris Squire's New World Symphony, good, but again, grandma should sleep on without being disturbed.

It all comes down to how well you know Yes. If you have the essentials already, buy something from else that strikes a chord. Got a friend who hasn't got a clue, but might make a good proghole? Buy 'em this.

A curious point..... They include ABWH in the notes, as well as the album cover, but not a single tune.... As I said, curious?

Send comments to Dan Bobrowski (BETA) | Report this review (#31148) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, June 24, 2004

Review by Gatot
1 stars My comments here apply to 2-CD release. I don't know how many versions of this are available. I bought it in Singapore when YES performed their Full Circle Second Leg tour 25 Sept 2003.

NAH! I'm not gonna recommend you to buy this CD. Two reasons: 1. Yes, it may be good introduction to those who are new to the band. But, I HATE that some tracks are intentionally TRUNCATED to fit the CD capacity. This is unprofessional.Giving this CD to newbie may create wrong impression about the band. Introducing someone to YES, I'd rather give "Close to the Edge" or "Fragile" or "Relayer" or "Going for the One" albums.

2. I don't think it's a good idea to make a compilation of YES because most of their best classic tracks are very long (duration-wise). Say "Close to The Edge", "The Gates of Delirium", "The Revealing Science of God", "Awaken", "Starship Trooper", how can you make 'em in a single package? Tough job! It's impossible, I would say.

Don't get me wrong, my friend. I'm a great fan of the band. I even purchased 3 copies of this compilation in which 2 copies went to my best friends who did not have a chance to watch the band "live" in their second leg tour in Singapore. I felt ashame giving them such a poor CD collection. As for my copy, I took the sleeve only and never touched the CD since then. I HATE it!

So, my friend ... DO NOT BUY this CD! You'd better buy each album separately. And my recommendation is: you start with "Fragile" then "Close to The Edge" then "Going for The One". YES is really a great band that cannot be compiled into 2 CD! - Gatot Widayanto, Indonesia.

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#31149) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 28, 2004

Review by lor68
3 stars Well- if you're not into their early stuff anymore- this collection is quite essential; otherwise you could remain a bit disappointed in the opposite, and decide to erase another half star at least.Ok the majority of this stuff has been already performed all over the world- in their Anniversary Tour 2004-but also in other completely different gigs, like that one very well appreciated by an enthusiastic crowd in Lugano at Estival Jazz, on 8 July 2004: such considerations above let me feel good anyway, even though sometimes I'm disturbed.In fact-when I think of the excellent choice concerning the songs inside the recent Magnification Tour- I don't understand whether this is the right criterion, in order to satisfy both the old and the new fans, or not...The lack of some classics from "Relayer" and "Close to the edge" (except on "And you and I"),as well as the "missed" tracks regarding the recent albums "The Ladder" (here you can listen to "Homeworld") and "Magnification", can make you feel betrayed,especially if you're a recent fan. Certainly they could have inserted the execution -into this celebrative collection- of the solos from the recent material by Steve Howe and from the classic "Catherine Howard" by Rick Wakeman as well (do you remember "Six waves of Henry VIII"?!?) and it should have been an excellent consolation for us, along with the choice to put the recent good songs within. Instead this triple CD contains some tepid compositions like "Big Generator" and "Lift me up", which are not essential for me, but it never minds...you can keep this collection as a reference, regarding of their whole career,all along their several vicissitudes: as a matter of fact- when you listen to them live on stage (The Annniversary Tour is in progress) and regarding of their programme too, which is much better- you can understand their evolution (even though actually not in all the circumstances)...

Send comments to lor68 (BETA) | Report this review (#31150) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 09, 2004

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars A young persons guide to Yes

With most bands, any "Best of" compilation is going to be a subjective project. The tracks included are often their most commercially successful pieces, not necessarily their best. It seems strange then, that with their vast back catalogue, many of the tracks for inclusion in any Yes compilation pick themselves.

The UK and North American versions of this collection have a number of tracks which are unique to one or the other. The North American version for example has "Time and a word", "South side of the sky", "Open your eyes", "Magnification" "America", "Tempus fugit", "Rhythm of love" "Lift me up" and "Open your eyes", while the UK version has instead "Survival", "Ritual", and "Awaken". I'm not sure what logic was used to decide which tracks should appear on which version of the compilation, but the inclusion of an entire side of "Tales from Topographic oceans" on the UK release but nothing at all from that album of the North American one is interesting.

The obvious omission from both is "Close to the edge", presumably due to its length. The other two classic tracks from that album are present, although the UK release originally had the wrong version of "And you and I" on it. An early, "studio run through" version appeared as a bonus track on the expanded re-release of "Close to the edge", but was erroneously included on this compilation in place of the original album version.

On the North American version, the order of the tracks is broadly chronological, offering a picture of how the band's music and style has developed and changed over the period. The UK version however appears to have been compiled with a view to creating a coherent album regardless of the relative ages of the tracks, and thus ends with "Awaken" from the 1977 "Going for the one" album.

It is significant that there is a strong bias in the track selections on both versions, towards the band's early material, such that by the third track on disc 2 of the chronological North American version, we are only up to "Going for the one".

Both versions of this album represent an excellent, reasonably priced, introduction to the music of the band for those who are unfamiliar with the music of Yes. Of course there are the usual compilation failings of edits, remixes, missing tracks etc., which make the album less valid for fans, but it is good to see Yes getting the attention they deserve from the music industry. This resulted in the collection enjoying significant chart success.

The North American release included a short bonus third CD of acoustic tracks which were rather out of place, but probably worthwhile nonetheless.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#31152) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 08, 2004

Review by Australian
3 stars After 37 years Yes still managed to reach high chart positions with "The Ultimate Yes." The album reached number 10 in the UK while also charting throughout most of the world. The great thing about this album is that out of all Yes best of albums it is probably the cheapest, easiest to acquire and most extensive.as far as a double album goes. It isn't all that expensive if you compare it to 'In A Word', but who other than a hardcore Yes fan (like me) would spend such large amounts of money on a CD? For this reason "The Ultimate Yes" is perfect for the Yes newbie as it covers all eras of Yes, even The Ladder despite the fact the song "Homeworld" is criminally shortened from nine to three minutes. On reflection "The Ultimate Yes" is more of a collection than a best of in that it contains songs from all periods of the band; it's really a sample album. The album also comes with a fold out booklet which includes all past and present members of the band and all studio albums. I'd recommend this album to beginners to the band; it will do well for you. Good, but non-essential

Send comments to Australian (BETA) | Report this review (#93438) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, October 05, 2006

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
4 stars The UK version is one of the best compilations of the Yes Canon. So many highlights including the excellent Yours is no disgrace, Roundabout, I've seen all good people, Heart of the sunrise, Starship trooper on CD1. I was amazed that an alt version of Ritual (Nous sommes du soleil) was included from Topographic!

CD 2 features brilliance with Siberian khatru, Long distance runaround, Wondrous stories and my favourite And you and I. Going for the one and Don't kill the whale are welcome additions. No collection would be complete without the awesome Owner of a lonely heart. Its all here for the new Yes fans! There is not much in the way of new material so most Yes fans would have all this. But its still a great package. Well worth the effort.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#180152) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Review by Tarcisio Moura
2 stars I have mixed feelings about this compilation. First of all, I can´t decide which version is better. I guess in the end it´s all the same: no compilation does justice to Yes. Simple as that. I agree with much of what the other reviewers say, I conccurs with Easy Livin´s reasoning. Still I think it´s hard to give a newbie a truly overall picture of Yes picking up some tracks from their many releases. Some of their best stuff are just too long to fit propoerly in the limited CD space (Close To the Edge is maybe their most obvious exemple). And some albums are too much a complete affair to be sliced without some considerable artistic damage.

Ok, I know most of the tracks are excellent. Even their 80´s work has some merit, but to mix them with their classics and some of the earlier - pre The Yes Album - stuff is giving a newbie a strange picture. Yes changed a lot over the years and I think that only the whole albums did really shows what they were about on every phase. Yes were never a singles band (even if they did have some hit singles). So this album is really great songs taken out of context (the good CD booklet does not solve this problem entirely either)

Conclusion: if you´re interested in knowing Yes, go for the individual albums. If you get this compilation be aware that each song is only a sample of a greater thing. So when you like one particular tune then you can go for the album it came from. You´ll be rewarded.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#180372) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Review by thehallway
4 stars Someone titled their review for this as a "young persons guide to Yes". And that's exactly what is was to me when I took my first step into the genre of prog, aged 13.

Of course once you own the entire Yes discography, this album becomes useless. But initially it is a very good way of getting your head around this perpetually changing band, showcasing all of the different "eras" and consequent changes in style on two jam-packed discs (or 3 as the case seems to be over in America). I have no major complaints, although I think 'Relayer' and 'Magnification' should be better represented (perhaps sacrificing some of the 90's songs).

So basically, if you're new to prog and you want a taster of some 35 years of it, then buy this! I wish I had got the 3-disc version now....

Send comments to thehallway (BETA) | Report this review (#279247) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 24, 2010

1 stars I would say this compilation is for beginners, if they choose to get it. But not the US version for it has single edits of songs, so you won't get the experience of the epics Yes are known for. The UK version has a mix of songs from the beginning to the present of their career. The Problem I h ... (read more)

Report this review (#514439) | Posted by Hober Mallow | Sunday, September 04, 2011 | Review Permanlink

3 stars This the the compilation that really introduced me to Yes when I had just discovered progressive rock, and I can say I suppose it did it's job of introducing a young, open-minded and musically informed kid into a Yes fan. I wouldn't say it's my favorite compilation, but I mainly appreciate some s ... (read more)

Report this review (#159941) | Posted by Draith | Sunday, January 27, 2008 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I am not a massive Yes fan, and after being disappointed by Close to The Edge I thought i'd cut my losses and buy this 2 disc best of album. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the album, finding it in general much more pleasing than Close to The Edge. My favourite songs on the album are R ... (read more)

Report this review (#156430) | Posted by cynthiasmallet | Sunday, December 23, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars OK, I got this compilation the year it was released. It has a selection of material from Time and a Word (1970) to Magnification (2001). While the tracks that are chosen are quite good representation of the band's respective eras, the company decided to include some sub par unreleased tracks, mos ... (read more)

Report this review (#110472) | Posted by OGTL | Friday, February 02, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This review is of the UK version: (I don't know if there is a mistake on this site but my version's disc 2 has 13 tracks - the last 3 being The Calling, Homeworld (The Ladder) and Awaken) For a casual Yes listener or a complete stranger, I think this is a very good introduction to the band. ... (read more)

Report this review (#89648) | Posted by Jimsey | Thursday, September 14, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Of course, no collection will ever be large enough to capture all of Yes' essentials. But, with that being said, I find this collection came very near. It is an excellent introduction to Yes' music for a non-progger or new progger. I always prefer to buy actual albums instead of collections, but ... (read more)

Report this review (#85199) | Posted by Shakespeare | Sunday, July 30, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Possibly one of the greatest cds ever! How dare you say it isn't essential. I had never listened to YES before, but because of these CD's I purchased every single YES CD, Vynil, Tape and 8 track. I love it. Brilliantly Put together. WELL worth a buy. ... (read more)

Report this review (#31154) | Posted by | Sunday, April 10, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Being a younger generation fan I can you're guys points of views, but in all honesty I like this album. Its got some of my favourite tracks on, from my favourite albums so I cant complain. My suggestion if you're a younger generation fan (like me =] ), and you want to get into YES then I would ... (read more)

Report this review (#31153) | Posted by | Wednesday, March 09, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars compilations - there has been some of them to present yes. I'm not quite sure if this really attracts people who are only familiar with 'owner of a lonely heart'. Most of the real Yes fans have all or at least most of the studio and live albums anyway... the most interesting stuff is included o ... (read more)

Report this review (#31151) | Posted by | Friday, September 10, 2004 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I purchased this collection album a few days after it was released in the U.S., and I was extremely disappointed. If this album didn't have such a large concentration of edits and remixes of the songs then maybe it could have been a worthwhile collection of some Yes favorites. Avoid this one u ... (read more)

Report this review (#31147) | Posted by | Thursday, June 24, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of YES "Ultimate Yes: 35th Anniversary Collection"