ULTIMATE YES: 35TH ANNIVERSARY COLLECTION

6. Long Distance Runaround
7. Heart Of The Sunrise
8. South Side Of The Sky
9. And You And I
10. America - (single edit)
11. Wonderous Stories

4. Don't Kill The Whale
5. Tempus Fugit
6. Owner Of A Lonely Heart
7. Leave It
8. It Can Happen - (single edit)
9. Rhythm Of Love
10. Big Generator - (remix)
11. Lift Me Up
12. Calling, The - (single)
13. Open Your Eyes
14. Homeworld (The Ladder) - (radio edit)
15. Magnification

DISC 3:
1. Roundabout - (previously unreleased, acoustic)
2. Show Me - (previously unreleased)
3. South Side Of The Sky - (previously unreleased, acoustic)
4. Australia - (previously unreleased, solo acoustic)
5. New World Symphony - (previously unreleased

4. Then
5. I've seen all good people
6. Heart of the sunrise
7. Starship trooper
8. Ritual (Nous sommes du soleil) (Alt version)

Disc: 2
6. Going for the one
7. Don't kill the whale
8. Owner of a lonely heart
9. Leave it
10. Big generator (remix)

Search YES Ultimate Yes: 35th Anniversary Collection lyrics

Search YES Ultimate Yes: 35th Anniversary Collection tabs

- Jon Anderson / vocals (A-J, L-W)
- Chris Squire / bass, vocals (A-N, P-W)
- Peter Banks / guitars (A-B)
- Bill Bruford / drums, percussion (A-F, O-P)
- Tony Kaye / keyboards (A-C, L-N, P-Q)
- Steve Howe / guitars, vocals (C-K, O-P, R-W)
- Rick Wakeman / keyboards (D-G, I-J, O-P, R-S)
- Alan White / drums, percussion (F-N, P-W)
- Patrick Moraz / keyboards (H)
- Trevor Horn / vocals (K)
- Geoff Downes / keyboards (K)
- Trevor Rabin / guitars, vocals (L-N, P-Q)
- Billy Sherwood / guitars, keyboards, vocals (T-V)
- Igor Khoroshev / keyboards (T-V)

A: Yes, B: Time and a Word, C: The Yes Album, D: Fragile, E: Close to the Edge, F: Yessongs, G: Tales from Topographic Oceans, H: Relayer, I: Going for the One, J: Tormato, K: Drama, L: 90125, M: 9012Live: The Solos, N: Big Generator, O: Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe, P: Union, Q: Talk, R: Keys to Ascension, S: Keys to Ascension 2, T: Open Your Eyes, U: The Ladder, V: House of Yes: Live From The House of Blues, W: Magnification

2003 Warner Strategic Marketing [UK], 2004 Elektra/Rhino [US] / CD 81227 37022 [UK], WTVD78042 [US]

and to TR for the last updates

YES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy YES Ultimate Yes: 35th Anniversary Collection Music

Atlantic 2003
YES Relayer CD MINI LP US $15.49 Buy It Now 33m 57s
YES owner of a lonely heart JAPAN 3" CD (mini-lp 45rpm) US $6.99 [0 bids]
36m 4s
YES 1969 JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD Jon Anderson Bill Bruford Chris Squire SEALED US $24.99 [0 bids]
36m 7s
Fragile [Bonus Tracks] [Remaster] by Yes (CD, Jan-2003, Elektra (Label)) US $13.88 [0 bids]
36m 13s
k-os - Yes! (NEW & SEALED CD - Australian Release) 2009 rap hip-hop US $0.25 [0 bids]
36m 25s
Yes Lp 9012 live The Solos 1985 Atco records US $12.95 Buy It Now 36m 27s
Yes Lp Going For The One 1977 Atlantic records Gatefold US $12.95 Buy It Now 36m 27s
Yes double Lp Yes Shows 1980 Atlantic records US $12.95 Buy It Now 36m 27s
Esquire - Coming Home CD - Prog / Symphonic Rock - Chris Squire Yes US $25.27 Buy It Now 36m 48s
Yes triple Lp Yessongs 1973 Atlantic records US $12.95 Buy It Now 38m
Yes Lp Big Generator 1987 Atlantic records US $12.95 Buy It Now 38m
Yes Lp 90125 1983 Atco records US $12.95 Buy It Now 39m 17s
Union Gospel Singers: Right Road Now / Oh Yes 45 - Black Gospel Soul - HEAR IT US $29.49 [0 bids]
39m 21s
Yes Close to the edge Sd7244 US $15.00 Buy It Now 45m 56s
Yes I Am by Melissa Etheridge (CD, Sep-1993, Island (Label)) US $3.95 Buy It Now 48m 59s
The Beatles-Ticket To Ride/Yes It Is, Capitol 5407,No Subsidiary Of, EX US $10.00 [0 bids]
49m 23s
Yes - YesShows 1980 Atlantic Records SD 2-510 Vinyl Near Mint US $14.99 [0 bids]
54m 13s
JON ANDERSON Olias Of Sunhillow LP YES US $16.90 Buy It Now 55m 51s
Mike Doughty - Yes & And Also Yes (NEW CD) US $20.69 Buy It Now 57m 54s
YES Close To The Edge CD MINI LP US $15.49 Buy It Now 1h
yes limited edition 2x cd sealed US $16.99 Buy It Now 1h 7m
YES Close To The Edge Limited 180Gram Gatefold Vinyl LP US $33.79 Buy It Now 1h 10m
78RPM Cameo 8149 Goodrich Broadcasters, Chloe, Detroiters, Maybe Yes-Maybe No V- US $7.95 Buy It Now 1h 11m
YES - Time and A Word LIMITED EDITION 180GM VINYL LP US $40.55 Buy It Now 1h 14m
Yes Tormato Limited 180gram Audiophile LP US $50.69 Buy It Now 1h 14m
Yes I Am by Melissa Etheridge (CD, Sep-1993, Island (Label)) US $3.00 [0 bids]
Patrick Moraz Future Memories Live On TV CD NEW SEALED 2006 Yes US $10.12 Buy It Now 1h 21m
Patrick Moraz/Syrinx Coexistance CD NEW SEALED 2006 Yes US $10.12 Buy It Now 1h 21m
ATL 800 01: TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS: YES: AUDIOPHILE HALF SPEED: EX/ EX US $59.14 Buy It Now 1h 23m
SMOKEY ROBINSON YES IT'S YOUR LADY LP 1982 SUPER HOT CLASSIC! US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 27m
YES CD UNION * US $4.75 Buy It Now 1h 27m
C.A.T.S. - Say Yes... - DETROIT HOUSE 12" - Still Sealed US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 36m
Chris Squire "Fish Out of Water" Atlantic Lp SD 18159 YES US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 43m
YES The Yes Album 1971 Atlantic GF LP SD 19131 EXC/EXC+ w/sleeve US $12.50 Buy It Now 1h 43m
COLDCUT FEATURING LISA STANSFIELD People Hold On 7" Ps, B/W Yes Yes Yes US $8.43 Buy It Now 1h 49m
Yes "Classic Yes" White Label Promo Single US $7.99 [0 bids]
25 ROCK 7" 45 Lot ALL DJ PROMO Nazareth Neil Young Santana YES Badfinger Knack US $40.00 Buy It Now 1h 52m
DARTS Can'T Get Enough Of Your Love 7" Ps, B/W Don'T Say Yes, Mag 156 US $6.74 Buy It Now 1h 54m
Union by Yes CD 1991 Arista Records US $1.99 [0 bids]
Vintage Fragile Yes Vinyl Album No Booklet US $2.99 [0 bids]
MORPHINE / YES / CASSETTE TAPE / RYKODISC US $8.10 Buy It Now 1h 57m
Diamond 10" 78/Danny Ryan/You Can Take My Word For It Baby/Yes Yes Honey/E!!! US $6.50 Buy It Now 1h 57m
Vintage Yes "Tormato" Vinyl Album US $2.99 [0 bids]
2h
UNREST, rare DC indie 45, YES,SHE IS MY SKINHEAD GIRL US $16.20 Buy It Now 2h 3m
Classic Yes [Remaster] by Yes (CD, Sep-1994, Atlantic (Label)) US $1.50 [0 bids]
EAT Psycho Couch 7" Ps, B/W Alien Detector, Yes 3 (Vinyl Vg, A Lot Of Light Sur US $6.74 Buy It Now 2h 5m
EDDY GRANT I Love You Yes I Love You 7" Ps US $8.43 Buy It Now 2h 5m
Vintage Yes "90125" Vinyl Album US $2.99 [0 bids]
Yes Big Generator Canada Cassette US $1.75 Buy It Now 2h 9m
VINTAGE YES 1987 LOVE WILL FIND AWAY US PROMO CD US $3.99 [0 bids]
Don Gibson: (Yes) I'm Hurting / My Whole World Is Hurt 7" 45 VG++ Canada RCA US $2.99 Buy It Now 2h 14m
Yes "Relayer" 1974 Atlantic LP US $4.99 [0 bids]
Dixie Daisies "Aggravatin' Papa/ Yes Sir! That's Lazy Bones" 1923 Cameo 78 US $4.99 [0 bids]
Vintage 78RPM Marta Tilton.As if I didn't have enough on my mind/Ah yes,there's US $6.90 Buy It Now 2h 19m
23 Cassettes Box - Alan Parsons Project,Vangelis,Genesis,Chicago,Jethro Tull,Yes US $55.99 [0 bids]
TREVOR RABIN Face To Face 1979 UK vinyl LP Excellent Condition Record YES US $12.32 Buy It Now 2h 22m
TREVOR RABIN Trevor Rabin 1978 UK vinyl LP Excellent Condition Record YES US $13.51 Buy It Now 2h 25m
Jets - Yes Tonight Josephine 7" 1981 Ex EMI 5247 US $8.43 Buy It Now 2h 25m
K-os - Yes! (2009 Promo Advance CD) rap hip-hop US $0.25 [0 bids]
Aerosmith Black Sabbath Pink Floyd Yes Queen Vinyl Record Lot 70s Rock Lp Albums US $12.50 [2 bids]
Do Me Bad Things - Yes -FULL PROMO- (CD 2005) 24HR POST US $6.07 Buy It Now 2h 29m
YES 90125 - 1983 ATCO RCA Record Club Version VG++/EX LP US $18.69 Buy It Now 2h 29m
Brasstooth Featuring A.N.O. - The Yes No Game 12" US $10.56 Buy It Now 2h 30m
(EB773) Yes Sir Boss, Mrs #1 Feat Joss Stone - 2012 DJ CD US $5.05 Buy It Now 2h 33m
Patrick Moraz Self-Titled CD+Bonus Track NEW SEALED 2006 Yes US $10.12 Buy It Now 2h 35m
HOLLY DUNN: Milestones: Greatest Hits (CD,1991,Warner Bros.) Maybe I Mean Yes + US $3.29 [6 bids]
YES - The Very Best of YES US $5.00 [0 bids]
JETS Yes Tonight Josephine 7" Ps, B/W Hideaway, Emi 5247 US $10.12 Buy It Now 2h 40m
Millennium Collection- Yes (CD, 2000, 2 Discs, Millenium Collection) US $6.49 Buy It Now 2h 41m
CRASS Yes Sir I Will LP NEW US $18.99 Buy It Now 2h 45m
Melissa Etheridge Yes I Am CD US $3.00 [0 bids]
Owner of A Lonely Heart b/w our Song Yes 45 Atco 7-99817 VG+ US $7.99 Buy It Now 2h 50m
Badger- one live (Yes, Tony Kaye,Flash,Badfinger,Circa) (Air mail) Mini Lp US $29.99 Buy It Now 2h 50m
Yes I Am by Melissa Etheridge (CD, Sep-1993, Island (Label)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
YES 90125 WEST GERMANY TARGET CD pressing variation issue US $24.00 Buy It Now 2h 52m
(DC867) Emperor Yes, Fishes / Wasps - DJ CD US $4.14 Buy It Now 2h 53m
YES "Yes 90125" vinyl record LP (1983) Atlantic A1-90125 US $8.99 Buy It Now 2h 55m
Klymaxx: I'd Still Say Yes 12" VG+/VG++ Canada MCA US $2.99 Buy It Now 2h 55m
(CV52) Yes Sir Boss, Desperation State EP - 2012 DJ CD US $5.05 Buy It Now 2h 57m
We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes by Death Cab for Cutie (Vinyl,... US $90.00 [0 bids]
SENSATIONS OH YES I'LL BE TRUE/LET ME IN 45 RPM ARGO US $4.98 Buy It Now 3h 2m
7"-Single JON ANDERSON - Easier Said Than Done (1985) YES / GERMANY PS US $7.99 Buy It Now 3h 2m
Yes - Fragile on Atlantic Records P10102A Japanese Pressing w. OBI Gate Fold US $59.99 Buy It Now 3h 2m
VARIOUS: Yes Nukes LP (w/ Quiet Riot, Runaways, Weirdos, Makers, etc. partial US $15.00 Buy It Now 3h 4m
Crass Yes Sir, I Will LP vinyl record punk rudimentary peni w/ download card US $21.95 Buy It Now 3h 8m
WILSON PICKETT "SHE SAID YES" 45 RPM US $4.49 Buy It Now 3h 11m
MORRISSEY Ouija Board Ouija Board 7" Ps, B/W Yes I Am Blind, Pop 1622 US $11.82 Buy It Now 3h 11m
THE BEATLES Ticket To Ride / Yes It Is IRELAND PRESS PARLOPHONE Irish US $16.82 [0 bids]
FC Kahuna- Machine Says Yes 12" US $10.56 Buy It Now 3h 21m
Capitol 10" 78/Kay Starr/I Wish I Had A Wishbone/There's Yes! Yes! In Your Eyes US $4.75 Buy It Now 3h 28m
YES / GOING FOR THE ONE ~ Orig 1977 Atlantic SD 19106 Album ~ NEW MINT ~ SEALED US $59.99 Buy It Now 3h 29m
Big Generator by Yes (CD, Jul-1987, Atco (USA)) US $1.99 [0 bids]
YES Mini LP Paper Sleeve HDCD Time And A Word 2001 OOP Japan NEW AMCY-6281 US $13.37 [0 bids]
BACCARA Japan 1978 NM LP YES,I CAN BOOGIE US $29.99 Buy It Now 3h 39m
YES 9012 Live The Solos CD Japan 7 tracks ATCO AMCY-375 US $19.99 [0 bids]
YES 9012 Live The Solos CD Japan 7 tracks ATCO AMCY-375 US $19.99 [0 bids]
JONI JAMES/LEW DOUGLAS ORCHESTRA 45~YOU BELONG TO ME/YES, YES, YES (SHARP M-203) US $9.99 [1 bids]
YES " GOING FOR THE ONE" JAPAN NICE Tri-fold NM- LP with Lliner notes, NO OBI US $9.99 [0 bids]
Yes The Time Of The Astral Prophet Mini LP US $9.99 [1 bids]
(CH114) Errol Brown, Still Sexy (Yes U Are) - 2001 CD US $5.05 Buy It Now 3h 51m

More places to buy YES music online Buy YES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for YES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ROGER DEAN & PROGARCHIVES.com Partnership : Put a genuine Dean on your desktop

YES Ultimate Yes: 35th Anniversary Collection ratings distribution

YES Ultimate Yes: 35th Anniversary Collection reviews

Review by Dan Bobrowski
3 stars Good, but non-essential if you have the Yes collection. Nothing really new here or stuff that won't be part of a future release (Acoustic Yes, just around the corner, I'd say).

Why buy it? It's a good "Big Picture" of the band throughout the years, that is, if you didn't buy YesYears, which I didn't. The price was low for a 3 CD release too. I paid about $14.00 US. Not bad....

If you've got the whole Yes discography, you won't need it. Introducing someone to Yes? This would be a cheap and easy way to do it.

A small bio of the changes within the band is included, as well as a Yes Timeline. They could have charged more and added a more comprehensive booklet, but, who cares about the revolving doors in the keyboard position. What matters is the music and this contains the best, world wide accepted, everybody can agree on this, nearly every era covered, disc.

The acoustic versions of Roundabout and South Side of the Sky are interesting, the latter being very good. A Jon Anderson song, okay, nothing to wake grandma up for. Another fine guitar piece from Steve Howe, I can never get enough Steve Howe Acoustic stuff. Finally, Chris Squire's New World Symphony, good, but again, grandma should sleep on without being disturbed.

It all comes down to how well you know Yes. If you have the essentials already, buy something from else that strikes a chord. Got a friend who hasn't got a clue, but might make a good proghole? Buy 'em this.

A curious point..... They include ABWH in the notes, as well as the album cover, but not a single tune.... As I said, curious?

Send comments to Dan Bobrowski (BETA) | Report this review (#31148) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, June 24, 2004

Review by Gatot
1 stars My comments here apply to 2-CD release. I don't know how many versions of this are available. I bought it in Singapore when YES performed their Full Circle Second Leg tour 25 Sept 2003.

NAH! I'm not gonna recommend you to buy this CD. Two reasons: 1. Yes, it may be good introduction to those who are new to the band. But, I HATE that some tracks are intentionally TRUNCATED to fit the CD capacity. This is unprofessional.Giving this CD to newbie may create wrong impression about the band. Introducing someone to YES, I'd rather give "Close to the Edge" or "Fragile" or "Relayer" or "Going for the One" albums.

2. I don't think it's a good idea to make a compilation of YES because most of their best classic tracks are very long (duration-wise). Say "Close to The Edge", "The Gates of Delirium", "The Revealing Science of God", "Awaken", "Starship Trooper", how can you make 'em in a single package? Tough job! It's impossible, I would say.

Don't get me wrong, my friend. I'm a great fan of the band. I even purchased 3 copies of this compilation in which 2 copies went to my best friends who did not have a chance to watch the band "live" in their second leg tour in Singapore. I felt ashame giving them such a poor CD collection. As for my copy, I took the sleeve only and never touched the CD since then. I HATE it!

So, my friend ... DO NOT BUY this CD! You'd better buy each album separately. And my recommendation is: you start with "Fragile" then "Close to The Edge" then "Going for The One". YES is really a great band that cannot be compiled into 2 CD! - Gatot Widayanto, Indonesia.

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#31149) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 28, 2004

Review by lor68
3 stars Well- if you're not into their early stuff anymore- this collection is quite essential; otherwise you could remain a bit disappointed in the opposite, and decide to erase another half star at least.Ok the majority of this stuff has been already performed all over the world- in their Anniversary Tour 2004-but also in other completely different gigs, like that one very well appreciated by an enthusiastic crowd in Lugano at Estival Jazz, on 8 July 2004: such considerations above let me feel good anyway, even though sometimes I'm disturbed.In fact-when I think of the excellent choice concerning the songs inside the recent Magnification Tour- I don't understand whether this is the right criterion, in order to satisfy both the old and the new fans, or not...The lack of some classics from "Relayer" and "Close to the edge" (except on "And you and I"),as well as the "missed" tracks regarding the recent albums "The Ladder" (here you can listen to "Homeworld") and "Magnification", can make you feel betrayed,especially if you're a recent fan. Certainly they could have inserted the execution -into this celebrative collection- of the solos from the recent material by Steve Howe and from the classic "Catherine Howard" by Rick Wakeman as well (do you remember "Six waves of Henry VIII"?!?) and it should have been an excellent consolation for us, along with the choice to put the recent good songs within. Instead this triple CD contains some tepid compositions like "Big Generator" and "Lift me up", which are not essential for me, but it never minds...you can keep this collection as a reference, regarding of their whole career,all along their several vicissitudes: as a matter of fact- when you listen to them live on stage (The Annniversary Tour is in progress) and regarding of their programme too, which is much better- you can understand their evolution (even though actually not in all the circumstances)...

Send comments to lor68 (BETA) | Report this review (#31150) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 09, 2004

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars A young persons guide to Yes

With most bands, any "Best of" compilation is going to be a subjective project. The tracks included are often their most commercially successful pieces, not necessarily their best. It seems strange then, that with their vast back catalogue, many of the tracks for inclusion in any Yes compilation pick themselves.

The UK and North American versions of this collection have a number of tracks which are unique to one or the other. The North American version for example has "Time and a word", "South side of the sky", "Open your eyes", "Magnification" "America", "Tempus fugit", "Rhythm of love" "Lift me up" and "Open your eyes", while the UK version has instead "Survival", "Ritual", and "Awaken". I'm not sure what logic was used to decide which tracks should appear on which version of the compilation, but the inclusion of an entire side of "Tales from Topographic oceans" on the UK release but nothing at all from that album of the North American one is interesting.

The obvious omission from both is "Close to the edge", presumably due to its length. The other two classic tracks from that album are present, although the UK release originally had the wrong version of "And you and I" on it. An early, "studio run through" version appeared as a bonus track on the expanded re-release of "Close to the edge", but was erroneously included on this compilation in place of the original album version.

On the North American version, the order of the tracks is broadly chronological, offering a picture of how the band's music and style has developed and changed over the period. The UK version however appears to have been compiled with a view to creating a coherent album regardless of the relative ages of the tracks, and thus ends with "Awaken" from the 1977 "Going for the one" album.

It is significant that there is a strong bias in the track selections on both versions, towards the band's early material, such that by the third track on disc 2 of the chronological North American version, we are only up to "Going for the one".

Both versions of this album represent an excellent, reasonably priced, introduction to the music of the band for those who are unfamiliar with the music of Yes. Of course there are the usual compilation failings of edits, remixes, missing tracks etc., which make the album less valid for fans, but it is good to see Yes getting the attention they deserve from the music industry. This resulted in the collection enjoying significant chart success.

The North American release included a short bonus third CD of acoustic tracks which were rather out of place, but probably worthwhile nonetheless.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#31152) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 08, 2004

Review by Australian
3 stars After 37 years Yes still managed to reach high chart positions with "The Ultimate Yes." The album reached number 10 in the UK while also charting throughout most of the world. The great thing about this album is that out of all Yes best of albums it is probably the cheapest, easiest to acquire and most extensive.as far as a double album goes. It isn't all that expensive if you compare it to 'In A Word', but who other than a hardcore Yes fan (like me) would spend such large amounts of money on a CD? For this reason "The Ultimate Yes" is perfect for the Yes newbie as it covers all eras of Yes, even The Ladder despite the fact the song "Homeworld" is criminally shortened from nine to three minutes. On reflection "The Ultimate Yes" is more of a collection than a best of in that it contains songs from all periods of the band; it's really a sample album. The album also comes with a fold out booklet which includes all past and present members of the band and all studio albums. I'd recommend this album to beginners to the band; it will do well for you. Good, but non-essential

Send comments to Australian (BETA) | Report this review (#93438) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, October 05, 2006

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
4 stars The UK version is one of the best compilations of the Yes Canon. So many highlights including the excellent Yours is no disgrace, Roundabout, I've seen all good people, Heart of the sunrise, Starship trooper on CD1. I was amazed that an alt version of Ritual (Nous sommes du soleil) was included from Topographic!

CD 2 features brilliance with Siberian khatru, Long distance runaround, Wondrous stories and my favourite And you and I. Going for the one and Don't kill the whale are welcome additions. No collection would be complete without the awesome Owner of a lonely heart. Its all here for the new Yes fans! There is not much in the way of new material so most Yes fans would have all this. But its still a great package. Well worth the effort.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#180152) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Review by Tarcisio Moura
2 stars I have mixed feelings about this compilation. First of all, I canīt decide which version is better. I guess in the end itīs all the same: no compilation does justice to Yes. Simple as that. I agree with much of what the other reviewers say, I conccurs with Easy Livinīs reasoning. Still I think itīs hard to give a newbie a truly overall picture of Yes picking up some tracks from their many releases. Some of their best stuff are just too long to fit propoerly in the limited CD space (Close To the Edge is maybe their most obvious exemple). And some albums are too much a complete affair to be sliced without some considerable artistic damage.

Ok, I know most of the tracks are excellent. Even their 80īs work has some merit, but to mix them with their classics and some of the earlier - pre The Yes Album - stuff is giving a newbie a strange picture. Yes changed a lot over the years and I think that only the whole albums did really shows what they were about on every phase. Yes were never a singles band (even if they did have some hit singles). So this album is really great songs taken out of context (the good CD booklet does not solve this problem entirely either)

Conclusion: if youīre interested in knowing Yes, go for the individual albums. If you get this compilation be aware that each song is only a sample of a greater thing. So when you like one particular tune then you can go for the album it came from. Youīll be rewarded.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#180372) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Review by thehallway
4 stars Someone titled their review for this as a "young persons guide to Yes". And that's exactly what is was to me when I took my first step into the genre of prog, aged 13.

Of course once you own the entire Yes discography, this album becomes useless. But initially it is a very good way of getting your head around this perpetually changing band, showcasing all of the different "eras" and consequent changes in style on two jam-packed discs (or 3 as the case seems to be over in America). I have no major complaints, although I think 'Relayer' and 'Magnification' should be better represented (perhaps sacrificing some of the 90's songs).

So basically, if you're new to prog and you want a taster of some 35 years of it, then buy this! I wish I had got the 3-disc version now....

Send comments to thehallway (BETA) | Report this review (#279247) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 24, 2010

1 stars I would say this compilation is for beginners, if they choose to get it. But not the US version for it has single edits of songs, so you won't get the experience of the epics Yes are known for. The UK version has a mix of songs from the beginning to the present of their career. The Problem I h ... (read more)

Report this review (#514439) | Posted by Hober Mallow | Sunday, September 04, 2011 | Review Permanlink

3 stars This the the compilation that really introduced me to Yes when I had just discovered progressive rock, and I can say I suppose it did it's job of introducing a young, open-minded and musically informed kid into a Yes fan. I wouldn't say it's my favorite compilation, but I mainly appreciate some s ... (read more)

Report this review (#159941) | Posted by Draith | Sunday, January 27, 2008 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I am not a massive Yes fan, and after being disappointed by Close to The Edge I thought i'd cut my losses and buy this 2 disc best of album. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the album, finding it in general much more pleasing than Close to The Edge. My favourite songs on the album are R ... (read more)

Report this review (#156430) | Posted by cynthiasmallet | Sunday, December 23, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars OK, I got this compilation the year it was released. It has a selection of material from Time and a Word (1970) to Magnification (2001). While the tracks that are chosen are quite good representation of the band's respective eras, the company decided to include some sub par unreleased tracks, mos ... (read more)

Report this review (#110472) | Posted by OGTL | Friday, February 02, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This review is of the UK version: (I don't know if there is a mistake on this site but my version's disc 2 has 13 tracks - the last 3 being The Calling, Homeworld (The Ladder) and Awaken) For a casual Yes listener or a complete stranger, I think this is a very good introduction to the band. ... (read more)

Report this review (#89648) | Posted by Jimsey | Thursday, September 14, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Of course, no collection will ever be large enough to capture all of Yes' essentials. But, with that being said, I find this collection came very near. It is an excellent introduction to Yes' music for a non-progger or new progger. I always prefer to buy actual albums instead of collections, but ... (read more)

Report this review (#85199) | Posted by Shakespeare | Sunday, July 30, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Possibly one of the greatest cds ever! How dare you say it isn't essential. I had never listened to YES before, but because of these CD's I purchased every single YES CD, Vynil, Tape and 8 track. I love it. Brilliantly Put together. WELL worth a buy. ... (read more)

Report this review (#31154) | Posted by | Sunday, April 10, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Being a younger generation fan I can you're guys points of views, but in all honesty I like this album. Its got some of my favourite tracks on, from my favourite albums so I cant complain. My suggestion if you're a younger generation fan (like me =] ), and you want to get into YES then I would ... (read more)

Report this review (#31153) | Posted by | Wednesday, March 09, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars compilations - there has been some of them to present yes. I'm not quite sure if this really attracts people who are only familiar with 'owner of a lonely heart'. Most of the real Yes fans have all or at least most of the studio and live albums anyway... the most interesting stuff is included o ... (read more)

Report this review (#31151) | Posted by | Friday, September 10, 2004 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I purchased this collection album a few days after it was released in the U.S., and I was extremely disappointed. If this album didn't have such a large concentration of edits and remixes of the songs then maybe it could have been a worthwhile collection of some Yes favorites. Avoid this one u ... (read more)

Report this review (#31147) | Posted by | Thursday, June 24, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of YES "Ultimate Yes: 35th Anniversary Collection"