Yes - Yes Remixes CD (album) cover

YES REMIXES

thehallway
2 stars Obviously, you have to be a Yes fan and a drum'n'bass fan to like this. Very few people on planet Earth are both.

I can appreciate the work done (especially from only having access to vinyls; no master tapes) but I just find it a bit irritating. It's not because I'm old (I'm not old), it's more the fact that the songs aren't really RE-MIXED with overdubbing and rearranging, but simply sampled, in a rather brief way. These tracks are largely built around tiny snippets of repeated Yes music laid over some good, albeit repetitive, drum loops. They are more a demonstration of skill than a fresh construction of old songs. In places very cool (new synth solo on 'Würm', hardcore appreciation of 'HOTS') but in other areas very un-cool (6-seconds of 'Ritual' streched to 6 minutes?).

The other thing that puzzles me is the selection of tracks, which I presume is based more on "remixibility" than diversity or classic status. In other words, Virgil makes some already bad songs even worse; '5 per cent for nothing' = stupid choice. 'Arriving UFO' = already "remixed" about 10 times when Yes were making 'Tormato'. And 'No Clowns' seems to be more of a radio advert than a song, snippeting songs from across Yes's career, making an interesting but pointless 3 minutes (and yes, Damion is on it...)

Some tips for 'The Verge': Go easy on the drum machine. Get some master tapes from daddy. Learn that 'Sound Chaser' is in 5/4 time. And think about your target audience.

I could do better on my pc.

thehallway | 2/5 |