Strawbs - Concert Classics CD (album) cover

Prog Folk

2 stars While this is not really a "bad" release, I'm sure their must be better examples of the Strawbs live act (although I don't own any of their live material except this). Songs from their late-70's albums dominate this set of only 8 tracks. None of them are bad choices as examples of this time in the bands career, but none are really inspired either. These are mainly "hits" rather than longer interesting pieces. How about "Beside the Rio Grande" or "The Soldier's Tale"? These would have been interesting live tracks here.

I also have a big problem with the sound. Cousins has a great voice through much of this and seems to be trying, but the background music and singing is murky and discordant at times. This takes away from my ability to enjoy this release. I am only able to give it 2 stars, which is the lowest of any Strawbs album I own.

mohaveman | 2/5 |