Chase - Chase CD (album) cover

CHASE

Chase

Gandalff
3 stars FOUR TRUMPETS ARE ENOUGH, DARLING!*

Firstly: I like jazz rock and fusion. Bands or artists like Mahavishnu Orchestra, Blood Sweat & Tears, Billy Cobham, Colosseum or Flamengo (Czech super group) makes me quite hot. I like jazz combos - quartets, quintets etc. I like big bands too, but this music is better for me with rock elements (for example boostered guitar, hammond organ, heavy bass lines). I like sound of trumpet, sound of saxophone (especially baritone!) or trombone. I adore musical virtuosity of jazz/jazz rock/fusion masters!

Secondly: I donīt like CHASE nevertheless. There are all of things in their music Iīve written before... but their sound is quite different. Why? Because this music is simply OVERTRUMPETED:-) Four trumpets alone in brass section are IMO good for castle guard, but its using in any jazz rock band is unusual. Trumpets sound is sc. too high and makes me earache sometimes. Why there are no saxes, trombones, flutes there? (Maybe thatīs a thing that diversifies this band from other ones. Maybe Iīm stick-in-the-mud, used to classical line-up of brass section, i.e. trump., tensax., altsax., tromb.)

Thirdly: Despite it, the music on Chaseīs first eponymous album is very good. Musicians are excellent of course, vocals are marvellous, reminds me foregoing band BS&T. Perfect guitars, drums, keyboards, bassguitar! Thatīs a pity the brass quartet is somehow...strange!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Paraphrase of the name of classical Czech crazy comedy "Four murders are enough, darling!" (1970)

Gandalff | 3/5 |