Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Mann Alive CD (album) cover

Manfred Mann's Earth Band

4 stars I have always had a soft spot for MMEBs early 70s albums, the later period (from 'Watch' an later) being to "easy-listening" for my taste. However, as a LIVE band, now that's a different story. The role of Mann & co as composers of prog music may undoubtedly be argued, the best tracks on their albums have (almost) without exceptions been cover tunes. Very good covers, though. MMEBs interpretation and arrangement of Dylan and Springsteen classics are nothing but superb music to my ears, and on this album we are served with the best MMEB can offer: many of their best cover tunes in LIVE recordings. Much of the material is from their 1976+ period, but that's OK with me in this context because the versions are good, the live atmosphere is there, the live 'glitches' and improvisations are all there. All in all, a highly recommended album for both newcomers to MMEB as well as the rest of us who love to hear them live.
| 4/5 |