Riverside - Anno Domini High Definition CD (album) cover

4 stars No tricks, no frills, no overblown pomposity, and a take-no-prisoners attitude: Anno Domini High Definition punches you right in the mouth and doesn't let up.

I've always thought that Riverside left a bit on the table in previous albums, but they have cleaned up the unnecessary ambiance, tightened up the structure so that each member is locked into each second of music, and just generally rocked out for the entirety of the album.

First of all, these guys produce a bigger sound with four members than many five or six person groups can muster. In addition, each of them sound better than on previous albums (except possibly Piotr G on guitar, who perhaps only equals his previous high standards). On drums, Piotr K appears to have expanded his kit, and it really comes through on some of the fills. Lapaj is fantastic on keys, leaning on that dirty, heavy rock organ to killer effect, but also being right on the spot with atmospheric synth strings, piano, and various solos when its his turn. And Duda is awesome in his double duty on vocals and bass.

The entire album is quite solid. Perhaps they are trying a bit too hard to change their sound in the intro, but after that first song, they are all locked in and ready to rock, from the danceable Egoist Hedonist to spacey yet intense Left Out.

Tons of great grooves, never overly repetitive, and lots of straight-up, balls-out rocking: By now it should be clear that I love what Riverside is doing on this album, but I'm going to pull up just short of masterpiece status and err on the side of caution. I would not be surprised if I decide to upgrade after another year or two.

Regardless, I've had me a killer case of ADHD since this album came out, and I hope to stay that way!

Flucktrot | 4/5 |