Marillion - Happiness Is The Road CD (album) cover

HAPPINESS IS THE ROAD

Marillion

theinvisibleman
4 stars I bought this one before it was even made!!!

And not at all disappointed.

Unlike many people, I find this album shares many qualities with the evergreen Marbles, and lots of that can be laid at the fingers of Mark Kelly. He colours the songs and sounds with great skill and the first disc, which I would call a '5', is a single work of great depth and emotion. As a fan of Steve Hogarth's voice in general, I find his singing to be both moving and impressive, Rothery is his usual fluid self and Trewavas and Mosely serve the music well.

Disc 2, on it's own a '3' features two of the very best songs on the album, 'Asylum Satellite #1' and 'Real tears For Sale'. The former has all the melodrama of the truly magnificent 'Out Of This World' from 'AOS' and 'RTFS' reads like a female version of 'King' from the same LP.

Since you can get this for nothing with the band's consent, you have nothing to lose. Try it, with an open mind, and you may find much to treasure.

theinvisibleman | 4/5 |